Time for a TE Watch Thread

I don't know if it's the right thread for this.
A friend is in US and I'm thinking to buy a watch.

Max budget 7-8k, please suggest.
@Black_Hawk from where you bought these Marvels, please share.

@zapout if you like/wanna try the automatics, i would suggest Seiko 5 series diver watches. they look super cool and a decent automatic watch at a good price range [100-150 USD on Amazon] !!
personally i feel they are any day better than the Fossil kinda dress watches.

@Black_Hawk : Where you got the SKX from. It is just awesome. Now you need the Citizen Automatic Diver, to complete the trio..!

Hey mate, hope your doing well. I got the SKX007J1 from the Watch Corner in Dubai Mall.

@zapout: Which one my friend? If you mention the watch then it will be easier to state where I got the watch from.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's the right thread for this.
A friend is in US and I'm thinking to buy a watch.

Max budget 7-8k, please suggest.
@Black_Hawk from where you bought these Marvels, please share.

At that price range, I think your choices will be a bit limited if you are looking for a new mechanical watch. Are you also open to a Seiko Solar/Kinetic or Citizen EcoDrive type of watches?

Edit: if you are purchasing in the US, look at www.jomashop.com. They have some good prices.

The Three Musketeers...

DSCF3386.jpg

L to R: Orient Ray EMB6500BB, Seiko SKX007J1, Citizen BN0100-00E.

Was going to order it through Amazon, and deliver it to Pennsylvania, friend is saying there.
Any other source for this watch then?..i didn't find any cheaper source online.

Was going to order it through Amazon, and deliver it to Pennsylvania, friend is saying there.
Any other source for this watch then?..i didn't find any cheaper source online.

I doubt you'll get it any cheaper online mate. The price of the SKX007K has gone up on Amazon US over the last few months. I had been following the prices right through Black Friday time span as well, hoping the price would get a slash but it didn't get any. Instead, I ended up getting the Orient Ray from the BF sale (for 8k INR). It was only in Dubai in January this year that I saw the J version of the SKX007 was selling at 12k and I got it without much thinking since it was a great rate.

Even on Creation Watches it's priced at 14.4k (INR) and on Long Island Watches it's nearly $195. I say at 14k INR from Amazon US it's a good deal. Sure at 12k INR it would be sweeter but the SKX007 is such a great watch that at 14k you can't really complain too much. At the end of the day it's got a strikingly beautiful dial, fantastic Seiko proprietary lume, Seiko's Hardlex crystal and a robust automatic movement which can last you more than a decade without service. The only gripe you might have is if your like me and hate rubber straps which come with diver's watches. If you do, then just get a 22m Nato strap of your choice or a solid leather strap for it. Looks great with either.

If you want to get a steel bracelet for it then you can get this super classy oyster bracelet which takes the watch to another level entirely (bear in mind the bracelet is pricey!):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005K64ZXW?keywords=seiko 007 oyster&qid=1454950373&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Also, thought I would add here, this review of the SKX007 I came across is a lovely read highlighting the brilliance of the watch which have made it so iconic the world over:

http://www.watchitallabout.com/seiko-skx007-watch-review/

Cheers mate!

Last edited:
Thank you @Black_Hawk
I really appreciate your input on this.
I was ready to buy the seiko.
But the friends is travelling, can't deliver it to his hotel now, and he is coming back this weekend.
I'll wait for someone other in my circle to come from US/travel outside. [emoji16] [emoji17]

Thank you @Black_Hawk
I really appreciate your input on this.
I was ready to buy the seiko.
But the friends is travelling, can't deliver it to his hotel now, and he is coming back this weekend.
I'll wait for someone other in my circle to come from US/travel outside. [emoji16] [emoji17]

No problem, glad to be of help!

Yes, just wait it out and if someone is flying back from the US or Dubai then ask him to get it for you. An option does rest of you getting it through iShop International but at $193 (Amazon US price) the quotation should almost touch 20k through them, which is just not viable.

I too waited quite a while to get the SKX007 and when I did finally have it, it was well worth the wait. Keep it in your radar and when the opportunity comes... get it my friend. Good luck!

Marvelous..
@Black_Hawk you motivated me to buy seiko diver when my brothers didn't want me to.
I was having a discussion with my brothers about the watch, and comes your new post about it. No more talk now.
Every time I see your seiko diver I drooled.

Finally ordering it, found someone who is coming from US.
And the prices are reduced too, now it is at 12700.
Kindly tell if the below one is genuine or fake, as I read in the description that it's imported and warranty is provided by third party not manufacturer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000B5MI3Q/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AUIK4HUHJT9S0#

@zapout: Thank-you so much for your kind words of appreciation my friend! :)

Yes, at 12.7k the Seiko SKX007 is a great deal. The watch in the link is original to my knowledge. I don't think it's coming down much further anytime soon judging from how long it has taken to come sub $200 on Amazon US for the last few months now.

Now, do bear in mind that the one your ordering is the K version and not the J version of the watch (which is what I have). From what I have scoured and read on the web, the differences between the K and the J versions are:

- The K version is made in Seiko's Malaysian factory and the J version is made in Seiko's Japan factory. Both have equally good quality control.

- If you notice the dial on my Seiko SKX007J1 you'll see that there is an extra line of text stating '21 JEWELS' right below the red line which reads 'DIVER's 200m' at 6 o'clock position. This will not be present on the K version of the watch. You can check the picture of the watch on the link you provided. Also, I'm attaching a close-up photograph of the dial on my J version SKX007 for your perusal.

- Below the 7 o'clock position of the watch dial there is also an extra line of text on the J version of the watch which states 'MADE IN JAPAN'. This will not be there on the K version of the watch.

Besides the above 3 differences (which are more to do with text and nothing else) everything else is same for either watch. They run the robust 7s26 movement inside and use the lovely bright R2 lume which is Seiko's own proprietary lume which is extremely bright. Both have Hardlex crystal on the dial and a tiny, tiny Hardlex crystal covering the lume pip on the bezel. The quality on both the K and J versions of the watch is brilliant from what I've read. Seiko has solid quality control so no worries there. I've heard that the J version has slightly better polishing on the side of the watch dial but that is debatable at best IMHO.

It's a great deal mate... for one fantastic and utterly iconic timepiece.

My Seiko SKX007J1:
DSCF3215.jpg

The Seiko SKX007K:
skx007k1_5_1_1.jpg

The textual differences between the two versions which I've stated can be noted in the photograph's above.

Cheers mate![DOUBLEPOST=1455518506][/DOUBLEPOST]Just checked Amazon US this morning, the price difference between the SKX007K and J version is over $100! Not worth it, just settle for the K version and go with it.

Just for the record, I found one more difference between the K and J version's of the watch:

-The K version has the day options written in English and Spanish whereas the J version has the day options written in English and Arabic.

Last edited:
Wow.. Thank you for more information.

Yes I did read up on the differences between the two versions, but didn't know the price difference was this high.

I'm waiting for the communication address of my friend for delivery.
I'll order it asap after that.

Back