PC Peripherals Time to bid adieu to my trusted CM-690

I am planning to start my next upgrade slowly(Need to pool resources). Meantime, I have decided to give up CM 690 with side window and move ahead with a good mid tower. My budget is around 8K. I am not totally into H/W scenes for more than a year.
My requirements would be
1. Silent running (Mine would running mostly at nights and I do not want trouble people in house)
2. Dust protective(Enclosed ones)
3. Easy to clean
4. Spacious
5. Value for money
6. It should be future proof (Atleast for 4-5 years)
7. Prefer a Fan controller

With little googling and home work. I have filtered down a few. Could someone help me out. I am open for online purchase and purchase in Bangalore.

1. Corsair Obsidian 650D
2. CM Silencio 650
3. Lian Li A70F
4. HAF 922( Just have consider it, I know its been around for almost 2 years)

Awaiting your inputs
TIA,
Chaoseater

PS: ALPHA17 Gannu sarang @Edrill

Last edited by a moderator:
@Chaoseater, firstly wishing all on this thread a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year.

Don't look at the HAF922, it tends to accumulate dust fast because of its huge 200mm grill vents.

Also, the temperatures in a silent case tend to be on the higher side of the chart because the added sound absorbent padding tends to restrict air / dust-flow. Also, compounding the issue of dust retention.

I would suggest you look at the following options as well --
  • Corsair Carbide 400R
  • Corsair Graphite 600T
  • NZXT Tempest EVO and outfit it with a fan-controller + USB 3.0 front-panel with the saved money.
  • Cooler Master Scout II
Hope this helps, Cheers!

For silence on a budget nothing beats Corsair 550. As @ALPHA17 rightly says tick HAF and its kins from you list. Its nowhere close to silent or dust free. The 650 is nice for sure and the A70F is where I'd ultimately put my money. However neither the Lian-Li or Corsair stock fans are low-noise ones so you'll need to factor in cost of low noise fans hence I'll say stick to the 550 which covers all bases you mentioned and at a lower price point than the competition. That leaves some cash to splurge on low noise fans for the case.
Also consider a decent aftermarket cooler to make sure the hot innards of a no-ventilation case is bound to have don't affect too much. Use nice damping around HDD screws and contact points with case (I use bicycle tube cuttings around screws, call me cheapster but it works well for me :D ) that definitely helps reduce a lot of noise.

I'm looking for a case in a similar price range for a home server. Planning to pick up the 550 as well. If I like it, I might get an 800D as well to replace my noisy stacker 830.

Never had any experience with Lian Li hence reserved and comments on the same but I think the others have put in their chips on the same.

Only CON's I can see are that it does not feature a painted interior although the finish looks a class apart and lack of USB 3.0 front ports.

Where will you source the same from?

I'd vouch for the Corsair cases as well. Looks like Corsair is on a roll with their new lineups receiving extremely good reviews. The Graphite 600T has a white variant as well but doesn't match up to the macho looks of the Obsidian. Just a personal opinion! :p

As for the Lian Li's case, I've been happy with my full tower and don't fancy another chassis for sometime now. I am settled with this one until I get bored of it. Plenty of space inside, bundled fans work as advertised (plus they have guards as well), brushed Alu. goodness and light weight but a tad expensive!

sarang, Gannu, ALPHA17- Thanks for you inputs. Been off for few days due to third quarter whilst reading reviews about 550D, the case looks promising. The looks are neat and elegant, but the lack of Side Window is a complete let down for me. To me, the mighty hardware what ever I put should be seen. Lian Li's are amazing, I am lil shocked though with the pricing
Buy Lian Li | Lian Li PC A70F Full Tower Chassis | Buy Lian Li Cabinet.
But, will there be any issues with shipping it from Mumbai. Will there be any alternate to the USB 3.0 Connectors on the Lian Li. I would definately go with the Lian Li's then.

I am totally awstruck with the looks of 650D and Lian Li's Full tower. Some more inputs from you all would definately help me make wise decision.
Where will you source the same from?
ALPHA17- I am open to online or local purhase in Bangalore. Any idea who will stock Corsair Cabinets here in Bangalore. So that, I could go there tomorrow and check it.
As for the Lian Li's case, I've been happy with my full tower and don't fancy another chassis for sometime now. I am settled with this one until I get bored of it. Plenty of space inside, bundled fans work as advertised (plus they have guards as well), brushed Alu. goodness and light weight but a tad expensive!
Gannu-I guess pricing seems to be amazing for a full tower cabby.

PS: Now, my budget stands till 10K.

But, will there be any issues with shipping it from Mumbai. Will there be any alternate to the USB 3.0 Connectors on the Lian Li. I would definately go with the Lian Li's then.

I am totally awstruck with the looks of 650D and Lian Li's Full tower. Some more inputs from you all would definately help me make wise decision.

PS: Now, my budget stands till 10K.

You can arrange forward USB 3.0 ports using these --> Sedna Product in India.

About shipping it from Bombay, best ask the seniors.

Hope this helps, Cheers!

That's an amazing price for the A70F but call up Prime and double check before committing for the deal. They've got the images of both the A71F and the A70F on that link you've posted. Probably an old stock. Do note that the older ones do not have those holes on the motherboard tray for managing/routing the cables so it might be a pain initially. The newer revised Lian Lis however, addressed this issue and included several holes. I think the frontal USB ports were USB 3 on the new LiLis.

Again, the A70F doesn't come with a transparent side panel. This is just a fancy feature that will stay for the first few weeks and you will get bored of it later. Trust me on that.

That's an amazing price for the A70F but call up Prime and double check before committing for the deal. They've got the images of both the A71F and the A70F on that link you've posted. Probably an old stock. Do note that the older ones do not have those holes on the motherboard tray for managing/routing the cables so it might be a pain initially. The newer revised Lian Lis however, addressed this issue and included several holes. I think the frontal USB ports were USB 3 on the new LiLis.

Again, the A70F doesn't come with a transparent side panel. This is just a fancy feature that will stay for the first few weeks and you will get bored of it later. Trust me on that.
Yeah, roger that. But, I am leaving my options and choices open.
@ALPHA17-Any idea about pricing of 550D and 650D. Just came to know, that I need to travel to Chennai for work the whole of next week. Any inputs on buying it from Chennai.

@ALPHA17-Any idea about pricing of 550D and 650D. Just came to know, that I need to travel to Chennai for work the whole of next week. Any inputs on buying it from Chennai.

In Chennai you can look at The IT Depot OR Delta Page.

Shipping will be a ransom and I am sorry, I doubt that the Obsidian 550D has been released in India OR is available as of speaking.

Hope this helps, Cheers!

ALPHA17- What are the shops in Bangalore that I can go check tomorrow. Will any those allow you to open up and see the insides. I had my dealers in Pune, where I used to open up and check things up.

ALPHA17- What are the shops in Bangalore that I can go check tomorrow. Will any those allow you to open up and see the insides. I had my dealers in Pune, where I used to open up and check things up.

In Bangalore you will have to visit S.P. Road and following shops --
  • Aashirwaad Computers
  • Ankit Infotech
  • Shweta Peripherals (ask for Mr. Gautum)
  • Golccha Inter-Trade (grouchy fellow but if he is in a good mood you will walk away with a steal deal)
Hope this helps, Cheers!

@Chaoseater I can help you out if you want to go to Delta Peripherals in Chennai. There are a few more shops in the area too.

But i think Delta has only Cooler Master, Corsair, Zebronics, Intex, iBall, etc.

For the other brands like NZXT and the like you might have to try IT Depot.

Where will you be staying/ working in Chennai?

Chaoseater I can help you out if you want to go to Delta Peripherals in Chennai. There are a few more shops in the area too.

But i think Delta has only Cooler Master, Corsair, Zebronics, Intex, iBall, etc.

For the other brands like NZXT and the like you might have to try IT Depot.

Where will you be staying/ working in Chennai?
I have no clues where I would be staying. YGPM

- - - Updated - - -

It is not available in India. ALPHA17- Will it be worth waiting for Corsair Obsidian 550D? I guess it should be priced somewhere between 6.5 to 7K to my knowledge. I will go to SP Road today.

Depending on when it will become available it is definitely worth the wait OR look into the Lian Li line-up.
It is not available in India. ALPHA17- Will it be worth waiting for Corsair Obsidian 550D? I guess it should be priced somewhere between 6.5 to 7K to my knowledge. I will go to SP Road today.

Back