Time to ditch Chrome Browser ?

These days on Ubuntu I have found a weird problem with Firefox.
Whenever I open Firefox fresh it takes forever to load the first page.

Also if I open more than 4-5 tabs of youtube in background (with no video running) Firefox hangs causing the entire PC to freeze.

Not finding the same problem with Chrome ... so I will willingly continue to send data to Google by using Chrome

These days on Ubuntu I have found a weird problem with Firefox.
Whenever I open Firefox fresh it takes forever to load the first page.

Also if I open more than 4-5 tabs of youtube in background (with no video running) Firefox hangs causing the entire PC to freeze.

Not finding the same problem with Chrome ... so I will willingly continue to send data to Google by using Chrome

Usually when an extension is interfering with loading and running of browser, this happens.
Tried incognito and also fresh install of browser

Hmm. So it seems like Tor and Opera are the best choices right now. I thought Firefox is the best option but seems to be resource heavy thesedays.
Firefox Quantum works well and is light enough for even an old system.
Firefox used to by heavy. Those days are gone like the overheating AMD processors. :)

I never liked Chrome. Haven't installed it on my computer ever. I don't use it on my Android phone too. I have been using Firefox since many many years now, both on PC and the Android phone. Works great.

I stopped using Chrome as it started lagging when multiple tabs are opened. I adopted to Latest Edge Chromium. Till now seems to work fine. I`am still testing it.

Regards,
Adrian

Tor, Firefox and brave is currently what I use mostly. Chrome is installed but not used as much of now [emoji57]

Ffox with certain addons is really good option.
I use a few addons like:
Ublock origin, privacy badger,Enhancer for youtube,Swift selection search, touch vpn
There are others such as : No scripts suite which allow even tighter controls.
You can stay safe of all the annoying popups,youtube ads and other trash on internet.
PS it is also available on android with most addons compatible

So I have switched to Firefox as it lighter and faster than Chrome on my local PCs.

Over the holidays I set up pi-Hole DNS ad blocker on a Raspberry Pi Zero W powered directly via a USB port on my Netgear R7000 router.

I set up the router to use the Pi as its DNS server yesterday for all devices on my home network and I noticed something.

The majority of blocks seem to be on Mozilla telemetry so it seems that Mozilla org is pulling quite a lot of browing data compared to even Google/Microsoft.

1570613084006.png

My primary browser has always been FF and I use Chrome/Opera/Edge/IE alongside as I figured out not all sites perform same on all browsers.
I like the ease of FF but it eats up almost 4gigs ram when opened multiple tabs etc. even if they are plain pages. Seems this html5 and etc. scripts are acting too heavy compared to old flash and js animations.

My primary browser has always been FF and I use Chrome/Opera/Edge/IE alongside as I figured out not all sites perform same on all browsers.
I like the ease of FF but it eats up almost 4gigs ram when opened multiple tabs etc. even if they are plain pages. Seems this html5 and etc. scripts are acting too heavy compared to old flash and js animations.
Huh thats quite a bit. With 8-9 tabs my RAM usage for Firefox is around 600 MBs or so. Can you take a look at "about:performance" in your URL to check if any extensions are the culprit?

Huh thats quite a bit. With 8-9 tabs my RAM usage for Firefox is around 600 MBs or so. Can you take a look at "about:performance" in your URL to check if any extensions are the culprit?
My tabs run in double digits but not exceeding 20. At times a new FF window spanning single digits tabs which makes the tootal count to 25. But on regular basis 10-12 is the bare norm for me.
I think not too long ago I posted something about paging file getting used up which I set to only 1gb and FF crashed my whole system sent it in deep freeze!!
My 18gb ram was used just 38% but pagefile was full which was all eaten by FF the great!

Usually when an extension is interfering with loading and running of browser, this happens.
Tried incognito and also fresh install of browser
Tried icognito as well as removal and fresh install of Firefox, the problems still persists.
Problem 1: Firefox takes ages to open the pages (from previous session) when started. Chrome does not.
Problem 2: Firefox consumes loads of resources and eventually hangs when multiple tabs are opened which contain videos.

Tried icognito as well as removal and fresh install of Firefox, the problems still persists.
Problem 1: Firefox takes ages to open the pages (from previous session) when started. Chrome does not.
Problem 2: Firefox consumes loads of resources and eventually hangs when multiple tabs are opened which contain videos.

Guess its open source OS specific issue. Could you try Waterfox and see if its same issue. If yes, then its not optimized for the OS

No one using edge? It's pretty good if you have Win10 Machine or Android even though its from MS. Other than that FF Quantum is all purpose browser.

Useful addon for collapsing a large number of tabs and saving a bit of memory https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/onetab/ available for Chrome too. Another similar Chrome extension is https://github.com/deanoemcke/thegreatsuspender
Addons on the FFox is pure goldmine. I have never seen ads and annoying popups thanks to the addons.It always suprise me how many people are fine with looking ads on youtube( Non-skippable ones are horrible) and those fishy ad banners( Singles in your area!!!)

Addons on the FFox is pure goldmine. I have never seen ads and annoying popups thanks to the addons.It always suprise me how many people are fine with looking ads on youtube( Non-skippable ones are horrible) and those fishy ad banners( Singles in your area!!!)
Any such addon to enjoy yutube ad free except for those non-skippable?

Back