Monitors To 4k or not to 4k ?

Hi Guys

Im looking to buy a new monitor and i'm unsure if i should get a 4k monitor a qhd would suffice , i would use it mostly for gaming and watching movies , currently im using a full hd tv as a monitor and i want to take a plunge

what would you guys recommend ?
- 4k or QHD ? (if 4k would you recommend a TV or a monitor )
- How are the korean / japanese monitors from ebay which were very vfm ? is it worth buying them over brands like samsung / lg / asus/ benq

The games i play are :
CS GO / COD AW / TW3 /Fallout 4 (when it releases) / Batman arkham knight / BF HL / and the upcoming games this year

My PC specs are as below :
i7 5820K
16gb DDR4 memory
Nvidia 980ti amp extreme from zotac
850pro 256 gb samsung SSD

My budget is 50k but can go a little higher if needed

I play CS GO myself and recently I shifted from a 4k Monitor ( Samsung 28" 4k) to 1080p BenQ 120Hz with Lightboost and I am never giving up 120hz and lightboost now, atleast for CS GO! :p

That being said, I did like how detailed things were on a 4k monitor, specially during playing games, during normal tasks, you will have to either run windows at 150% scaling or get around 40" 4k monitor, which is pretty huge IMO, so 4k is not at a stage where I would recommend it to others, its good to play around and feel it, but I don't think its ready yet, also, you might wanna hold on your purchase for a little longer, there are some interesting options coming ( Acer Predator series n all )

If you were to buy a gaming monitor now, I would highly recommend this one
Acer Predator XB270HU

Rest do some more research, and please get a proper monitor and not a TV :p

I play CS GO myself and recently I shifted from a 4k Monitor ( Samsung 28" 4k) to 1080p BenQ 120Hz with Lightboost and I am never giving up 120hz and lightboost now, atleast for CS GO! :p

That being said, I did like how detailed things were on a 4k monitor, specially during playing games, during normal tasks, you will have to either run windows at 150% scaling or get around 40" 4k monitor, which is pretty huge IMO, so 4k is not at a stage where I would recommend it to others, its good to play around and feel it, but I don't think its ready yet, also, you might wanna hold on your purchase for a little longer, there are some interesting options coming ( Acer Predator series n all )

If you were to buy a gaming monitor now, I would highly recommend this one
Acer Predator XB270HU

Rest do some more research, and please get a proper monitor and not a TV :p

Thanks for the reply buddy, how future proof is QHD resolution ? , what do you think about the below dell 4k monitor ?

https://www.theitdepot.com/details-Dell+27inch+Ultra+HD+4K+Monitor+(P2715Q)_C7P24120.html

Im unable to find the predator monitor anywhere on indian stores

Thanks for the reply buddy, how future proof is QHD resolution ? , what do you think about the below dell 4k monitor ?

https://www.theitdepot.com/details-Dell+27inch+Ultra+HD+4K+Monitor+(P2715Q)_C7P24120.html

Im unable to find the predator monitor anywhere on indian stores
Lets just say, we are just coming to the stage, where mainstream gaming is making the shift towards WQHD resolutions, we have WQHD proper gaming monitors that are just coming out, IPS displays with good refresh rate, low response time, Gysnc n all.

Gaming feels cramped at 60hz, and we are not at the point, where 4K monitors can support > 100Hz , so in terms of just gaming scenario, I think an IPS Gysnc/FreeSync panel with 2k Resolutions, low response times and >100 Hz refresh rate is the way to go.

If you are talking about general computer use and productivity, I would advice you to go for at-least a 40" monitor ( there is a Philips one that's good and few more are coming out )

Ultimately, it comes down to your usage, Like for me, I have a dual monitor setup, with a Benq 24" 1080p with 120hz for gaming and a samsung 4k 28" monitor for other things( although, I would seriously advice bigger monitors for 4k, if you have the desk space for it)

The Acer Predator lineup are coming November/December, so I would say wait for it, I might pickup one as well and replace my 2 monitor setup with one of those :)

Hi Guys

Im looking to buy a new monitor and i'm unsure if i should get a 4k monitor a qhd would suffice , i would use it mostly for gaming and watching movies , currently im using a full hd tv as a monitor and i want to take a plunge

what would you guys recommend ?
- 4k or QHD ? (if 4k would you recommend a TV or a monitor )
- How are the korean / japanese monitors from ebay which were very vfm ? is it worth buying them over brands like samsung / lg / asus/ benq

The games i play are :
CS GO / COD AW / TW3 /Fallout 4 (when it releases) / Batman arkham knight / BF HL / and the upcoming games this year

My PC specs are as below :
i7 5820K
16gb DDR4 memory
Nvidia 980ti amp extreme from zotac
850pro 256 gb samsung SSD

My budget is 50k but can go a little higher if needed

There is a new ips g-sync 144Hz display that asus just released. Not sure what the price would be but expect around the 60k range.

4k is only worth it when a single GPU can reliably drive a 4k panel in everything and full rec2020 color hdr monitors start appearing.

Don't buy the crap that is being sold as 4k right now. These only support 4k res and nothing else.

is there a way i can get the predator series monitor shipped from US ? what about the shimian , qnix and the other sorts of monitors how do they fare ? against the monitors with gsync

They are not good and usually hit or miss sort of story with them, I would suggest you to avoid them. Monitor is not something you wanna change often. Also, I think acer predator might appear in India as well, so let's wait and hope for that.

is there a way i can get the predator series monitor shipped from US ? what about the shimian , qnix and the other sorts of monitors how do they fare ? against the monitors with gsync

Although, the predator looks really good in the paper, there are a few things that should be considered. Acer is just emerging into the gaming monitor industry and these were just announced and are priced too high compared to others like Asus or BenQ. If gaming is your primary use, then I'd recommend a QHD with 144hz rather than a 4k. I made a mistake going for 4k and regret it till now. 144hz gaming is way better than 4k gaming. And like @mutant mentioned above, monitors are something you have to make sure you have the right one as you'd be sticking with it for a long time.

Asus and BenQ are the ones that have the best panels in the gaming industry. And as of now, Asus MG279Q seems to be the best gaming monitor available which also boasts of an IPS panel.

And finally, regarding shipping from US, if this is the only option, I'd go for it. Both amazon and newegg ship overseas. Amazon takes care of all the customs hassle which you need to handle it on your own if Newegg.

P.S: Keep in mind that HDMI 1.4 doesn't have enough bandwidth to carry 144Hz so make sure to use the displayport.

Although, the predator looks really good in the paper, there are a few things that should be considered. Acer is just emerging into the gaming monitor industry and these were just announced and are priced too high compared to others like Asus or BenQ. If gaming is your primary use, then I'd recommend a QHD with 144hz rather than a 4k. I made a mistake going for 4k and regret it till now. 144hz gaming is way better than 4k gaming. And like @mutant mentioned above, monitors are something you have to make sure you have the right one as you'd be sticking with it for a long time.

Asus and BenQ are the ones that have the best panels in the gaming industry. And as of now, Asus MG279Q seems to be the best gaming monitor available which also boasts of an IPS panel.

And finally, regarding shipping from US, if this is the only option, I'd go for it. Both amazon and newegg ship overseas. Amazon takes care of all the customs hassle which you need to handle it on your own if Newegg.

P.S: Keep in mind that HDMI 1.4 doesn't have enough bandwidth to carry 144Hz so make sure to use the displayport.
Hi Buddy ,Thanks for the reply, the MG279Q seems to be a freesync monitor where as my GPU is a Nvidia 980ti which would use gsync do we have similar models available for gsync ?

Hi Buddy ,Thanks for the reply, the MG279Q seems to be a freesync monitor where as my GPU is a Nvidia 980ti which would use gsync do we have similar models available for gsync ?
That would be the PG278Q , available for around 65k .But I would advice you against there monitors, if you want to get a monitor now, I recommend importing this one

Acer Predator XB270HU

Otherwise wait a little, there are quite a few coming out by november/december.

If SLI is in your plans, then I'd recommend waiting for PG279Q which will be released this November. MG279Q is about $570 currently and you can expect the PG279Q to be around $670.

That would be the PG278Q , available for around 65k .But I would advice you against there monitors, if you want to get a monitor now, I recommend importing this one

Acer Predator XB270HU

Otherwise wait a little, there are quite a few coming out by november/december.

Importing that would cost me 75+ which is way too high, is there a source where these manufacturers have confirmed november / december launch ? , these companies take India for a dumping grounds , they always release things here very late, unlike Dell where theres barely delay of 2-3 weeks as we have our factory here in India

Importing that would cost me 75+ which is way too high, is there a source where these manufacturers have confirmed november / december launch ? , these companies take India for a dumping grounds , they always release things here very late, unlike Dell where theres barely delay of 2-3 weeks as we have our factory here in India
Yeah these monitors take months after the actual release even though they all are from Taiwan. Dell has some good 4k monitors but definitely no gaming monitors. The November releases (holiday season) are in US.

MG279q also has an issue that refresh rates are limited to 90Hz in freesync mode. So its more a gaming+productivity display than a hardcore gaming display.

I'd say wait till the PG279q launches in India. The pg278q is TN and not worth it at all.

^ridiculous price....US price is $750 IIRC, if it were 60k I'd buy it today..
was personally looking for the Acer predator X34 Gsync version, but no way to get it in india at a sane price.

Back