To BB or not to BB?

Speedz

Adept
Clichéd Title I know, but really in a fix.

Looking for a phone around 20k, almost locked in on the Bold 2 or 3 provided I could stretch, but then I am at college right now, and as of now my phone bills are in the sub 200 range, but the BIS plans start at freaking 299, plus the Phone and Text bills.

Main reason why I was looking for the BB was mail access and the BBM obviously, plus the fact that I am still kinda stuck with real keys than touch screen.

Now I am really in a fix, is the recurring expense of the BB worth it? Also, any other alternatives in the same price range with a nice full QWERTY keypad?

Thanks...

@OP:
see yaar, I will be frank with you. If you want a simple and hardworking sort of device and also want to save a few bucks then get e5. But if you are ready to shell extra for premium feel, don't listen to anybody, go ahead and get a bold 9700/9780. The reason for choosing a bold 3 over any android is just one, and that to most non geeks and even some geeks (including myself) bold 3 has got personality and style, and if not for features I would have preferred 9780 to every other device in market including few good looking droids like arc. Go to any shop and compare 9780 to similarly priced samsung i9003. yawn, give me a BB b3 anyday. but then I have a droid to go with it. :)

also as someone mentioned, bb have better battery life and the best keyboards on market. all other features suck.

p. s. If you read toi delhi edition, there was a reader offer, where they were offering bb 8900 for 9900 bucks,. now ofcourse this comes with Only seller warranty, but just incase you want the bold kindaa look 8900 looks way better then drab 8520 but obviously misses out on 3g (not that 3g will be much use of in bb, seeing the shitty processors and web browsers)

aka911 said:
@OP:
see yaar, I will be frank with you. If you want a simple and hardworking sort of device and also want to save a few bucks then get e5. But if you are ready to shell extra for premium feel, don't listen to anybody, go ahead and get a bold 9700/9780.
I agree. OP, go for the bold 9700 or if you spare a few extra grand, get the 9800.

techno_guy said:
How much has the sale of BB worldwide has gone down since past 12-18 months, any idea ?
I am sure their sales would have increased in the past one year in India
Can't help it if Indian consumers wanna be dumb but the fact is we are not that's why we know that BB is a overpriced Need for Affiliation satisfier, nothing more. Android is way better, even BadaOS is better IMO

Sometimes its not just about the OS, its about personal needs and personal liking..you cant call people dumb cause of this.

use a BB once, it maybe not be as good as other phones of similar range, but what BB claims to be good at, its the best!

I was forced to use a blackberry(bold2) for last 1 month.

Hated the phone initially,but now completely dependent on it.

Now I have E5 and bold 2 and both are serious hardworking phones.

No more fancy droids for me in the office(unless they do something miraculous with the battery)

ragzdiablo said:
Sometimes its not just about the OS, its about personal needs and personal liking..you cant call people dumb cause of this.

use a BB once, it maybe not be as good as other phones of similar range, but what BB claims to be good at, its the best!
I tried BB Storm. The phone felt like a Device for the Technologically Handicapped & analytically unable (in terms of evaluating a product beyond its brand name). And whatever people's needs are A GREAT PHONE IS A GREAT PHONE; for that price consumers deserve more than what BB is offering. Android devices are doing more justice in that respect. I am not a BB hater but when a product is overpriced & people are going for it mostly for the Brand name and the Halo effect created by its primary devices when Android was not there, I cannot just overlook the stupidity of BBism in the era of Android. No offense to individuals. I wouldn't mind BB if they were priced correctly.

Battery On BB is rock Solid thats the only stability lots of people are attracted to them..

Not that good on Apple and Android...

The only issue is the services are highly priced,not for a common middle class person who can lavish the benefits of BB..

destiny said:
Battery On BB is rock Solid thats the only stability lots of people are attracted to them..
Not that good on Apple and Android...
The only issue is the services are highly priced,not for a common middle class person who can lavish the benefits of BB..
battery on bb is only soild when it comes to mails and chat. if u use it for voice call its sad and just give u 3.5 hrs max so overall with data and voice u need a second battery if ur a heavy user

I am just curious, isn't comparing a BB and and Android somewhat similar to the Mac/PC comparison?

Mac's are crazily over priced, but then they have a certain feel to them which people love. On the contrary to the BB, Mac's don't even have the simplest of learning curves for a user who has switched platforms. Still people do go for them.

Mac is powerful. Stable. Fast. Visually appealing. And of course there are a lot many negative points to it as well. But it is a pro at what it does well.

BB is great for BBM. But that is about it. And there is no reason to buy more than a basic model for BBM. A true smartphone has to be an Android, or even iPhone, but definitely not anything else.

IMO if you can spend 20-30k or so and are desperate on BBM, go for a BB plus an android :) I did the same and don't regret it one bit. I have a Galaxy S + Curve 8520.

Speedz said:
I am just curious, isn't comparing a BB and and Android somewhat similar to the Mac/PC comparison?

Mac's are crazily over priced, but then they have a certain feel to them which people love. On the contrary to the BB, Mac's don't even have the simplest of learning curves for a user who has switched platforms. Still people do go for them.

Macs (specially macbook pros) are not really crazily overpriced,if compared with real good windows machines like thinkpad t series or lattitudes.

Yes,it is overpriced when you compare it with likes of inspirons,xps or dv6s.

The analogy between bb and mac is ridiculous.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

aercy said:
I tried BB Storm. The phone felt like a Device for the Technologically Handicapped & analytically unable (in terms of evaluating a product beyond its brand name). And whatever people's needs are A GREAT PHONE IS A GREAT PHONE; for that price consumers deserve more than what BB is offering. Android devices are doing more justice in that respect. I am not a BB hater but when a product is overpriced & people are going for it mostly for the Brand name and the Halo effect created by its primary devices when Android was not there, I cannot just overlook the stupidity of BBism in the era of Android. No offense to individuals. I wouldn't mind BB if they were priced correctly.
That was a bad choice to get to know BBs'. :) Their forte is the QWERTY. I wanted a smartphone but non-touch and strictly QWERTY. So this is where BBs' excel.

Speedz said:
Not all my friends are using BBM, some are some are not. It is definitely not the deciding factor, but a factor weighed into consideration for sure.

I like the way the BB feels, the simple keyboard layout, the bar shape, the responsive interface and yea to an extent the feel of it being a serious phone not just some random gizmo loaded with angry birds and tonnes of pirated movies or sitcoms. As for being overpriced, don't really care as long as there is no pain from the After Sales Service incase of a manufacturing defect.

I liked egobrain's reply, unless I find a phone which feels right, I am gonna go ahead with the BB. What's better for you or even better technically, might not be necessarily better for me.
Im glad i could help!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

nanoneo said:
I agree. OP, go for the bold 9700 or if you spare a few extra grand, get the 9800.
The 9700 is no more in production now.

delguy19 said:
battery on bb is only soild when it comes to mails and chat. if u use it for voice call its sad and just give u 3.5 hrs max so overall with data and voice u need a second battery if ur a heavy user
I would correct you here mate. I am facing no such battery concerns, and my battery runs pretty good. On an average im stuck on my phone for 4-5 hours (voice calls) at the least and i can easily spend more than a day with my battery doing fine.

aercy said:
Yeah, Storm was a bad choice to start with. Blackberry were not that good with the Touch phone at that time. But they have come with a good one in the form of the Torch 9800. Which is a great phone.

And, also to mention. Android is just a platform/OS. Is not a phone. Different android phone have different specs and may vary accordingly. Blackberry is a phone all in all with its own OS. There are also phone with android which are crap(example- X10 and many other SE phones which came with Android). Why not criticise them too while defending Android?

Back