Less than 10K Tough phone for dad

caber

Disciple
I need a basic non touch phone for my dad. The phone must be able to survive a couple of drops per day and should have good battery life. Dad prefers Nokia, but is open to others as well.

1. Budget?
A: 5k-10k

2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Preferred display type?
A: TFT

4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Prefer Nokia

5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: T9

6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Doesn't matter

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).

8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).

9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Phone calls

10. Any other requirements?
A: Should be strong

11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: None

Samsung Galaxy Chat or the Nokia Asha series (303/302). Galaxy Chat is Android based. Might have a slightly bigger learning curve. Asha series are S40 based. Should suit your requirments fine.

yes I agree with above assessment.
though galaxy chat keyboard is bit cramped and phone is slow to run ICS .
I have this phone in family in similar scenario.
suggest stay away till it gets jellybean which is promised.

If your dad is someone who does not care about how much features the phone has and only wants something which can do an receive calls and SMS then get any cheap and functional nokia, even a second hand Nokia 1100 will do.

Try to get something what he wants and fulfills his needs rather than what you like to give him. I am saying this because from our point of view we might want to give our parent something which is good as per us but which might not actually satisfy their needs. Ask him exactly what he wants.
Chances are that if his old phone went bad and he was satisfied with it then he probably would be happy with an exact same replacement.

Back