Tp Link WR740N V4 dd-wrt Help

Nalin

Skilled
As i have recently purchased the Tp Link WR740N router from flipkart by going through the reviews and also finding it to be the cheapest Wireless N speed router available .I decided to go with it and since i have configured the router am having poor signal issues and are unstable and drops constantly when i move from 1 room to another room.Searching the google i came to know about the custom firmware called dd-wrt which i think is supported for my model.Now i am confused whether to flash my 2 days old router or keep it as is .

I am also concerned about the reliability of the custom firmware a bit,also don't know how to flash it.

Here is the manufacturer page TL-WR740N - Welcome to TP-LINK

It has a hardware version V4.23 and running the latest firmware. Any help is appreciated .. :)

Some other important links ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/07-20-12-r19519/tplink_tl-wr740nv4/ Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki

Any thoughts guys ..?

This router is supported in the Openwrt trunk. But there is very little information on version 4. Trunk has been mostly ok for me with a TP-Link 841N, but please understand it might not solve problems, and might introduce new ones sometimes.

For the Atheros platform Openwrt is the preferred firmware.

Bumping this old thread since i have installed dd-wrt on my router and range is improved a lot imo, it has a hell lot of features to play with. One thing i would like to mention is that scheduled restart does not work as per expectations but still other things are working very good :D

I have flashed r19519 version and everything is up and running good with it.

P.S : Don't flash any version later than r19519 since it will brick the router

Source : DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - TP-LINK TL-WR740N v4

Bumping this old thread since i have installed dd-wrt on my router and range is improved a lot imo, it has a hell lot of features to play with. One thing i would like to mention is that scheduled restart does not work as per expectations but still other things are working very good :D

I have flashed r19519 version and everything is up and running good with it.

P.S : Don't flash any version later than r19519 since it will brick the router

Source : DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - TP-LINK TL-WR740N v4

Are all the features working? Any issues? I am looking to get it and flash DD-wrt

Are all the features working? Any issues? I am looking to get it and flash DD-wrt

Yes nearly all major features are working fine with the latest working firmware that is r19519 , but there are some chip set limitations of the V4 which are

• No TX rate increase
  • No 40Mhz channel (means no 150mbps advertised speed, capped to 20mhz which is at 72 Mbps)

However you can try any of the 4 working version of the firmware and stick with the best which works for you

Source : http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TP-LINK_TL-WR740N

I would say as this is the cheapest wireless N router available, dd-wrt has expanded it's functions and the possibilities and makes this router bang for buck under 1k
:D

P.S - Versions supported till date is 4.20,4.21,4.22 and 4.23.Mind you there is no support for 4.24 at present

Hey @Nalin
me too got the router 2 days back.

Room is small so no range issues.
However would like to know if there any more features that are provided by dd-wrt not available in the stock fimware?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Congrats for the new router ,it is very good for it's price and range is ok too

Regarding dd-wrt it entirely depends on your intended use and your needs ,you will find the stock firmware to be ok for regular needs but i would say go ahead and flash the firmware and tinker it yourself and see if you need it or not.
If you didn't like it then you can always revert to stock firmware isn't it.

Hi,

Congrats for the new router ,it is very good for it's price and range is ok too

Regarding dd-wrt it entirely depends on your intended use and your needs ,you will find the stock firmware to be ok for regular needs but i would say go ahead and flash the firmware and tinker it yourself and see if you need it or not.
If you didn't like it then you can always revert to stock firmware isn't it.

Nothing that I need as such.
Actually was looking only for torrent downloader. but just realised the router has no usb port :facepalm:

Already got the router. Dont download too much. average 25-30GB / month.

And the time i spend working on laptop is enough for that.
When I need i will have a look at the asus model you mentioned.
Thanks a lot!

Imho, openwrt is better performance and feature wise on this router even though configuring through uci may be a bit tricky.
I am using openwrt 12.09 beta attitude adjustment on my V4 and I am happy with it. You may need to install the ntpclient package to sync time on every reboot so that your cron jobs work perfectly.

Is there any conclusion on what is better supported on 4.23 - openwrt OR ddwrt

P0 I am looking to use this as wireless repeater extender (no LAN cabling). will both of them serve the purpose?

P2 run some torrent downloader to directly download on a NAS (dont need USB connections)

Imho, openwrt is better performance and feature wise on this router even though configuring through uci may be a bit tricky.
I am using openwrt 12.09 beta attitude adjustment on my V4 and I am happy with it. You may need to install the ntpclient package to sync time on every reboot so that your cron jobs work perfectly.

Back