Trouble configuring Buffalo WCR-GN with hathway internet!! Help please!

Nolasco

Disciple
Well I bought a Buffalo Router WCR-GN and have been trying to configure it with my hathway connection for the last 3 hours but have just not been able to do so! The router shops up in the network under "Network and Internet Settings" in the Control Panel, but if I try to open an webpage, i get the message saying "The Router cannot connect to the internet". On running the setup cd that came with the router it goes through all the steps
except the last one where it says "failed to acquire an ip address" and then shows "unidentified network"

I am not sure if this has something to do with hathway requiring a password now to log in or whether I need to change some settings on the router administrator page which opens when i try to log into a website. Do i need to change the IP address, DNS adresses or the MAC ID?

Anyone using hathway with this router? Any help appreciated! Totally frustrated trying to set this up :S

Well I finally figured out that for some reason, my LAN card is not able to connect to my Modem. I used to connect through USB earlier but now since I had to connect the router, I went to using ethernet. The thing is that I know for sure that my modem ethernet port is fine since I had used it with another computer about a week back and it worked fine. My lan card status also shows fine by itself and even when running the Realtek diagnostic utility. However when I connect the LAN cable to my modem, the realtek shows the status as "Cable Open". Link status is disconnect and IP address is 0.0.0.0 The Mac address for the lan card is also different as compared to what my modem Mac address is.

On calling hathway they said it could be something to do with the duplex settings however I changed that to 10Mbps full duplex to no avail :( On connecting the Lan cable to the port on the router, it detects the router so I dont think its an issue with my LAN card as well (Its onboard lan on a gigabyte MA78GPM-DS2H board btw)

On connecting the lan to my modem, the lan card lights are off on the board and the pc connected light on the modem is off. My modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB5100. Hope one of you guys would have an idea about what the issue is now? :huh: I have reinstalled the ethernet drivers as well but still nothing!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Ok finally managed to get the net to work through Lan. I uninstalled the NIC card drivers, cleaned up all temporary files and then reinstalled the drivers and it started.

Now the thing is, I am still unable to get my router working. After going through all the setup steps, it says in the end that "No Network cable - WAN Port disconnected" Connection status shows as "stopped" I have enabled auto ip through dhcp but it is not able to acquire an ip address. Does it have anything to do with the mac id or ip addresses? Do i have to put some manual settings to get it working? I checked with 3 lan cables which I am sure are working so not sure why the "No network cable" message shows up.

Look forward to one of you guys helping me out on this! Quite disappointed that there are more than 60 views and no one has a clue as to which this is happening? Please help! :huh::huh:

Back