Linux Tutorial : Easily multibooot Windows 7 with Linux

I have Ubuntu 9.10 in first HDD and installed Windows 7 today on 2nd HDD replacing Vista. Now the problem that has arisen is that now the GRUB is not recognizing Windows 7. What is the way to make GRUB 2 detect the OS? Any command or what?

have you simply tried: "sudo update-grub" ? does that help? if not, then some searching would probably find a solution...

Thanks m8, that did the trick. Although u don't need Rep points as u already got $hitload$ of them but still I want to rep u but it says I gotta spread some. :ashamed:

Sorry if i'm violating any rule by posting in a old thread but i really need some help.

Long story of the issue
I installed Ubuntu 10.10 using my usb disk alongside my Win7 recently. Ubuntu made a "Grub" boot menu and everything was fine. After some days i auto-updated ubuntu. Now after i restarted my PC, i saw two boot entries for ubuntu in the Grub menu. Now ubuntu does not boot from either option. I don;t know what i did wrong. So in order to fix this issue, i deleted the ubuntu partition with Win7 and inserted the linux usb in order to reinstall ubuntu and restarted the Pc. Now i see no grub, only some grub recovery console. all it says grub_recovery>. I used some of my IQ and typed boot d:\ and it seemed to accept the command. I forced restarted the pc and the usb disk loaded. I selected "select drive for installation" and made a new partition(or so i think) and clicked forward. It gave some error saying "no root directory selected, please go to partitioning menu". After some fails, i went back and selected "Install Linux alongside other OS" and installed linux. After the installation was over i went to "My computer" and all my data and drives were lost. So I took the liberty of inserting the Win7 dvd and installing it.

Short story of the issue:-

I installed win 7. I wanted to install ubuntu as well, so i went made a ubuntu boot usb disk. But in the install menu, there is no "Install along Side other OS" option. What should i do?
I read the 1st post, too many commands, i got confused, any other way?

PS:- i'm a linux noob.:ashamed:

EDIT: Problem solved. The issue was with the software that converted the distro for installation through usb.

I need to install windows 7 over my Mint and get it to dual boot.. this tut is enuf? also i have just one partition in Mint now.. so any help would be great .

thanks in advance

Dark Star said:
^^Well this will work. But if you are overwriting Grub with MBR, be prepared to have Live disc for making dual boot at your disposal.

thanks, do you have any tutorial which is more detailed fit for a complete noob? basically from start to end to install windows 7 on a Linux distro i.e

Back