Video TV display goes blank momentarily-need stabilizer?

mithun

Adept
The Bravia 32" in my bedroom is connected to STB, PC and media player (all via HDMI).
The issue is, whenever i turn on the AC, whenever the UPS(for PC) goes into self discharge mode/trips, or even when i just turn on the tube-light, the TV goes blank momentarily. It happens irrespective of the sources, so it may be inferred that a sudden dip/spike in voltage is causing the TV to go blank.
Read extensively on the available threads on similar issue and the consensus seems to be going for a 3 phase and/or separate connection for AC. The AC does not share line with other equipments in my case and going to 3 phase is out of the question at this time. I would like to know if a Voltage stabilizer, like V-Guard, could provide momentary relief?

P.S.: UPS(for PC) also goes into backup mode momentarily when A.C. compressor activates/deactivates, however, that has no effect of PC operations.

Thanks

I had posted a similar issue with my Dell LCD monitor, while being in HDMI mode. The display goes blank for 2 secs whenever there is a current spike. It never happens in DVI mode though. Do let me know if you come across a solution.

What is the tonnage of your A/c? With even a 2-ton A/c (2 star rated), voltage levels should not dip that low so that the TV switches off or the UPS goes in backup mode. I suggest you get your electrical system of the house inspected.

In the meantime, you should immediately get a voltage stabilizer for your TV as too frequent switching off may be detrimental for the TV. I have been using the V-Guard Crystal stabilizer for around 2 years and it supports 32" LCD Tv (Samsung A series) and a HTiB (LG 924SF).

Same situation here, Samsung 26 HDTV goes blank for a second. It does NOT switch off or restart. Just display goes blank and then comes back on. There is some voltage fluctuation sometimes and I got the lines checked up for leakages, NONE.

Mind you 3 hdmi ports connected to Pc, PS3 and xbox/tatasky, issue Only happens with PC.

this is a bit scary...
I recently bought a 42"LED and the LED + STB + XBOX + Logitech Z906 + Router run on the same home made electric board I created.
I have plugged only the TV into the UPS but I dont know how good it is during spikes. The building I stay is almost 17yrs old so I got a new cable laid from the main meter box to my board on which I plug all these stuff.
A frnd in my building had a similar prob. whenever he switched on his AC(1.5T) some tubelights or UPS would lose power for a few milliseconds. He then did the same thing. Installed a new wiring directly from the meter box to his AC and thread mill. Now everything works fine.
I reckon you try installing a new line from your main fuse box. This new line should be taken after the meter but before the main PCBs of your house so that the PCB/MCBs dont trip when ever you switch on the AC.
I think now a days its very difficult to get a 3phase line for residences. atleast here in Pune.

Mine is a 1.5 tonner 5* air conditioning unit and it has a dedicated wiring of it own straight from the meter box. However, as stated earlier, the blank out also happens when turning on tube lights, so i'll not quite blame the AC unit solely here. Will buy a vguard crystal in a few days and report back. Oh, and by the way, the blanking out doesn't occur if source/s are connected via VGA/Comp cables. That's weird!

Mine is a 1.5 tonner 5* air conditioning unit and it has a dedicated wiring of it own straight from the meter box. However, as stated earlier, the blank out also happens when turning on tube lights, so i'll not quite blame the AC unit solely here. Will buy a vguard crystal in a few days and report back. Oh, and by the way, the blanking out doesn't occur if source/s are connected via VGA/Comp cables. That's weird!

I guess that the TV is not switching off. It is your connected peripherals that are getting re-started. Since your computer is connected to an UPS, it is not switching off and hence the blank out is not happening when the source is VGA. Next time such a blank out happens, carefully observe whether the TV is re-starting or not, by observing the LED indicator on the TV.
As your A/C is a 5* rated 1.5 ton one, the max power it will consume would be around 1600-1700W, which in no way should over-load your circuit, even during compressor start. Do get your house wiring checked.

Electrical/Electronic equipments going into blank/black mode( DEAD mode ) when higher electricity capacity peripherals are started is due to common electrical load wire not able to take load of all.

Just ask any local electrician to relay wire from house mains to switch board.Always use electricity cable of 4mm or above for power and 2mm for light inplace of 1.5 mm.If house has more than 2 AC's then get separate connection for them with dedicated line with atleast 4mm wire so that they don't interfere with other peripherals when they are switched ON.

Getting a dedicated Voltage Stabilser for Mains is always good.

I guess that the TV is not switching off. It is your connected peripherals that are getting re-started. Since your computer is connected to an UPS, it is not switching off and hence the blank out is not happening when the source is VGA. Next time such a blank out happens, carefully observe whether the TV is re-starting or not, by observing the LED indicator on the TV.
As your A/C is a 5* rated 1.5 ton one, the max power it will consume would be around 1600-1700W, which in no way should over-load your circuit, even during compressor start. Do get your house wiring checked.

Yes, it's not switching off, it just goes blank as i mentioned in OP. Apparently, the source doesn't restart, as pc is also connected via HDMI and the blank out happens during playing games or watching movies with PC being the source, highly doubtful that the other sources restart too, as both the TS HD+ STB and the O'PLAY takes a considerable time to boot/restart while the blankout lasts for only a second or two.

As regards wiring, the house is relatively new(moved in around 2004), the AC and heavy peripherals do have separate/dedicated wiring from the meter box with Finolex 6mm cables, yes there are multiple ACs in the house. The earthing has been done with 16mm copper wires. There are no issues with any other appliances in the house. Even the other LCD TV in the house (connected to STB via comp cables) does not suffer from this issue.
However, getting a VGuard crystal today, will report back.

The Bravia 32" in my bedroom is connected to STB, PC and media player (all via HDMI).
The issue is, whenever i turn on the AC, whenever the UPS(for PC) goes into self discharge mode/trips, or even when i just turn on the tube-light, the TV goes blank momentarily. It happens irrespective of the sources, so it may be inferred that a sudden dip/spike in voltage is causing the TV to go blank.
Read extensively on the available threads on similar issue and the consensus seems to be going for a 3 phase and/or separate connection for AC. The AC does not share line with other equipments in my case and going to 3 phase is out of the question at this time. I would like to know if a Voltage stabilizer, like V-Guard, could provide momentary relief?

P.S.: UPS(for PC) also goes into backup mode momentarily when A.C. compressor activates/deactivates, however, that has no effect of PC operations.

Thanks

Dear Mithun,

I was facing the same problem myself. If my guess is correct then this problem should be coming with the TV connected to STB thru HDMI cable.

I complained for the same to Airtel(as I checked and realised that when I am watching videos thru internet or USB there is no effect of switching on/off othe electrical items). They came and checked. I concluded that the problem was due to HDMI cable. I changed my HDMI cable and the problem has been sorted. Hope it solves your problem too.

Regards,
Sushant

Back