Two arrested for cheating Flipkart of Rs 51,590

prime

Skilled
Two persons have been arrested for allegedly cheating e-commerce giant Flipkart of over Rs 50,000 by claiming refund for an iPhone even after receiving the product, police said.

Accused Atul Sharma and Naveen Kumar were arrested following a complaint from the company, Chikadpally police station's additional inspector P Balavanthaiah said.

Sharma, as per the complaint, ordered an Apple iPhone 6 costing Rs 51,590 from Flipkart in the name of Naveen Kumar, and made payment through a credit card. The phone was duly delivered.

Next day Sharma and Kumar complained to Flipkart that the package contained paper and rubber and not the phone, following which the company refunded the entire amount, the police officer said.

The company then conducted an internal inquiry to trace the missing phone, and found that it was in use within Hyderabad limits. Police traced the phone's IMEI number, which led them to Sharma from whose possession it was recovered.

Source:
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/techno...r-cheating-flipkart-of-rs-51590/1/555208.html

My question is, if I buy used mobile, how do I make sure that the mobile has not been reported "not delivered" or "stolen" to selling online portal like Flipkart or Amazon ?

Even an invoice cannot guarantee that because Amazon includes the invoice with the package and Flipkart sends it by email immediately after their delivery person marks the product delivered.

So basically we are screwed if we buy used iPhones because there's no telling what the seller might have done?

Get a signed note from a person with a copy of his valid ID citing the sale as well as the amount. Also keep a copy of the ad. All this will allow you to present a strong case, if needed.

There is not much you can do if you are sold a stolen phone, Our legal system requires surrender of any stolen property that has been purchased irrelevant to what precautions you have taken while purchasing.

You are also liable for purchasing stolen property if you knew it was stolen, but if you did not know then you can claim you did not but you will need to prove that you did not know it was stolen or marked as not delivered etc which is not easy in our system.

Also once you known it is stolen , its your responsibility to surrender it to the police, you cannot claim that you have paid for it and it is yours, you can sue the the person who sold to you for cheating but nothing more than that

Good luck with that.
I have done that both as a seller and a buyer. I learned this from a friend of mine who has been buying stuff from Craigslist for nearly 25yrs. It helps that he also always meets in a public place which has CCTV cameras as well. Mostly he meets people in a Carrier Store.
It's not perfect but it's at least a safety net of sorts.

yeah right .. I have lost 4 expensive phones and for all the phone I filed a fir for tracing the phone via imei but the cops kept saying your phone is still not in use. Still the same ans whenever i ask them. but when flipkart complained bang, the immediately caught the frauds. fcking courrpt shitsss

yeah right .. I have lost 4 expensive phones and for all the phone I filed a fir for tracing the phone via imei but the cops kept saying your phone is still not in use. Still the same ans whenever i ask them. but when flipkart complained bang, the immediately caught the frauds. fcking courrpt shitsss
Buddy flipkart must have provided cops some kind of motivation e.g pressure from politician or some monetary incentive.Our police system works only if they provided enough motivation ;)

Flipkart must have did this to teach a lesson to scammer if they wanted they could have kept all this matter private but they made it public because they wanted to make an example to scammers.

So, if 'M' defrauds FK like this, and before they get to know, divest the phone in the open market to person 'X', FK can't claim the phone back from 'X' or 'M'?

I have done that both as a seller and a buyer. I learned this from a friend of mine who has been buying stuff from Craigslist for nearly 25yrs. It helps that he also always meets in a public place which has CCTV cameras as well. Mostly he meets people in a Carrier Store.
It's not perfect but it's at least a safety net of sorts.

Hmmm. I am guessing you dont realize you are not normal or what you and me think is normal in outside world. or olx work or craiglist world.

And yea, dont go out giving your ID to everyone.

Step Number 1
If Buying from Olx Or Quickr
1}Save The Ad id
2}Meet the Seller in Public Place
3}Ask for Bill,Box and Proof of Purchase
4}Check the Imei Number on the Phone, box and the Bill,All Should match.
5}Some Bills of shop are like Cash memo and untax Paid,call on the Phone number on the bill and Crosscheck with the vendor if feel like the bill is fake.
6}Take two Id Proof 1 Containing Address
7}While making a Payment to the Seller mention his name Address Imei Number of the Product,payment made in cash or Neft On a paper duly signed by Seller and Buyer with a small Stamp on it..
Hand One copy to the seller and Keep one as a proof that the seller has received the Payment for the product..
Small Tips to Avoid Some Fraud

Back