Graphic Cards Two mobos kaput after installing GTX 470 with Corsair GS 600

samdeflash

Disciple
Hi All,

I am in serious trouble and am clueless about the problem. The problem is that my two motherboards have gone bad after the arrival of GTX 470 and Corsair GS 600.

Prior to November 2010, I had a system running fine with the following specs:

• Motherboard:MS 7501/MSI K9V2AM
  • CPU:AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ [Socket AM2] RAM -
  • RAM: Kingston 2GB 800 MHz [DDR 2]; GPU -
  • GPU: ATI Radeon 4650 1 GB,
  • PSU: stock 450 watts. I was playing games at 1280*1080 for the last two years.

Mid November:

I upgraded my system to GTX 470 (38 A on 12V required) and a Corsair GS 600 PSU (48 A on 12 V). After installation but before installing drivers, there was display on the screen, but after installing NVIDIA drivers the computer froze. I tried to restart but there was nothing displayed on the screen. I felt a heartache to see no display on my monitor. All the fans were running and lights coming up but no display on the monitor. Next day I asked an engineer to take a look and he told me that the the Motherboard BG (powering unit/socket not sure) had gone bad.

My question - Whether GS 600 was not good enough for the GTX 470. Or the GTX 470, after driver update took its demon avatar and conked my mobo off. I was not able to RMA it, as I had lost its receipt while shifting places (One state to another)

After this incident, I upgraded my motherboard and CPU to avoid bottlenecks. So the new specs are:

• Motherboard: ASUS MS88VE USB3
  • CPU: Phenom 2 1055T,
  • PSU: Corsair GS 600,
  • RAM - 4GB Transcend

The machine ran fine with this spec for a week (the GPU GTX 470 and PSU were fine and were ok when the first mobo busted). It happened one day (after the system ran fine for a week) - I properly shut down my system, the next day when I tried to switch it on, it would run for 3 seconds and shut down. But after that I could only switch it from after shutting down UPS and PSU switch. But again the Compauter would shut down after 3 seconds. I was really heartbroken :(, cursing myself on upgrading the new system. At least I was playing games with the HD 4650.

Since I had the receipt I was able to get it replaced with a clause from vendor that it wont be replaced the next time. He stated that the mobo might have been busted due to a voltage problem.

This time around, I have installed a APC 650 VA UPS, but still not installed the GTX 470. My major concern is that either there is something wrong with the GTX 470 or my PSU is not able to supply clean voltage.

My earnest request to all GURUS on this forum, please help me out on my concern, as I think that installing a GTX 470 yet again would rob me of my playing time. Its a real pain to shell off 16000 bucks and not yet able to play. For the time being and its already 3 days now the system runs fine withe HD 4650.

To make it short, can a Corsair GS 600 handle GTX 470. All are in stock condition and I do not OC any hardware. Also I would like to know the possible cause of failures for the two motherboards.

Re: Need Help! Two mobos kaput after installing GTX 470 with Corsair GS 600

Google Translate --- the review says the PSU is a decent piece but somehow non on TE have used this piece that is why no response to your query. I think you've got a bad PSU piece better replace or RMA it and get a better PSU, either form SeaSonic or Cooler Master Real Power/ Silent Power series :). Hope your problem gets solved bruv.

Is it possible to post a pic of the Sticker from your PSU? (the one which has all the amps & 12v details)

Maybe that might help.

Here are the specs as stated on the sticker on the PSU

Voltage : +3.3V, +5V , +12V , -12V , +5Vsb

Max. Current : 25A, 25A , 48A , 0.8A , 3A

MaxComWatt :150W, 576W, 9.6W, 15W

Instead of the MoBo why dont u try getting the PSu checked.so check its ampere rating first

Have you Overclocked your system??? Because if 470 is 38A and the PSU can supply only 48A on 12V then that means your mobo and CPU has only 10A or 120W of headroom left on 12V rail. Though I guess on stock clocks it is enough but certainly when overclocked it might be struggling.

I would say it is not the PSU or the GPU that is the problem . The main problem would be your last UPS , using a crap ups on a powerful PSU will give u problems . I bet everything will run fine with the APC650 PSU . Also check all your temps .
I previously used an intex 600w ups with a corsair vx550 and the system used to frequently restart . Changed the UPS to APC 600w and then faced no more restarts .

Had similar issues with VX450 earlier. Frequent restarts on slightest of power fluctuations. RMAed it, and it started again in 2 weeks. RMAed it again and sold the fresh piece and moved onto Tagan BZ800 and now its oober stable even on crazy voltage fluctuations, even when the lights and monitor goes off and on, system runs fine :)

Your PSU seems to be a single rail based design.
According to this article Single Rail vs. Multi Rail (explained in simple terms) - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net a Multi Rail PSU is better than a single rail PSU as the load is distributed among the different available rails.

&

This article NEW CORSAIR PSU - GS600 - jonnyGURU Forums also says that the GS series is not as good as the TX series.

Hence if you can sell off that PSU & get a new non-Corsair unit, then that would help you.

Regards,

I dont think his problem is with single rail design .... its just that it seems his single rail isnt strong enough. I think banik is spot on.

Zloyd said:
I dont think his problem is with single rail design .... its just that it seems his single rail isnt strong enough. I think banik is spot on.

Corsair has lost it's quality with this PSU.

Check out the other link that I gave.

Corsair GS series is a budget series (read lower quality). Please try another PSU from Corsair (VX TX etc.), seasonic, antec to check

Re: Two mobos kaput after installing GTX 470 with Corsair GS 600: Solved (Bad UPS)

Hi Folks, thanks for the advice, I actually followed basically the crux of two advices given on this forum :)

1) Got my PSU changed through my vendor, he gave me reference of an electrician who checked the voltages using voltmeter with the new PSU and my old UPS (but the seed was planted through this forum and thanks a ton :clap:
2) Got a new APC 650 VA UPS. The system has been running fine for almost a week now. Touchwood, and I hope I don't face any problems now.

I also got info from my vendor regarding the old mobo and he stated me that my CPU also had gone bad after the crash (# Motherboard:MS 7501/MSI K9V2AM
# CPU:AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000). So my question, was my system with the old specs was not able to handle GTX 470, and I think my old UPS was the real culprit

Back