Two Routers and 4 SSIDs, should I rename all SSIDs with same name?

raksrules

Elite
In my home, I have 2 routers. One is an iBall dual band router which transmits 2 SSIDs as say X1 and X1-5G for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

I have this router connected via a LAN cable to one ASUS (actually tmobile cellspot) router which is also dual band and it transmits X2 and X2-5G SSIDs.

The reason I have another router connected via LAN cable is because the primary router's signal strength is inadequate in our bedroom which has TV working completely on internet streaming.

So, at present my home has 4 SSIDs. Will renaming all the 4 SSIDs to say "X1" have any benefit for me? Is there any point doing that? I guess if all SSIDs are X1 then I will see 4 X1 appearing when selecting wifi right ?

Keep 2.4 GHz only as a suggestion (this frequency connects with all well known devices including old/new)
In case you keep you routers TURNED ON 24/7

In my home, I have 2 routers. One is an iBall dual band router which transmits 2 SSIDs as say X1 and X1-5G for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

I have this router connected via a LAN cable to one ASUS (actually tmobile cellspot) router which is also dual band and it transmits X2 and X2-5G SSIDs.

The reason I have another router connected via LAN cable is because the primary router's signal strength is inadequate in our bedroom which has TV working completely on internet streaming.

So, at present my home has 4 SSIDs. Will renaming all the 4 SSIDs to say "X1" have any benefit for me? Is there any point doing that? I guess if all SSIDs are X1 then I will see 4 X1 appearing when selecting wifi right ?

On a side note, flash the Asus T-Mobile router firmware to Merlin.

Have been using this router with merlin firmware close to a year and one of the best AC1900 router for $50.

Keep 2.4 GHz only as a suggestion (this frequency connects with all well known devices including old/new)
In case you keep you routers TURNED ON 24/7

I am also actually planning to disable 5Ghz too. I just see it as additional ssids which aren't really used by anyone.. Let me see.

I am also actually planning to disable 5Ghz too. I just see it as additional ssids which aren't really used by anyone.. Let me see.
Out of curiosity, why don't you use the 5ghz band?
Connection speed , latency and stability typically see a huge improvement on 5ghz

Out of curiosity, why don't you use the 5ghz band?
Connection speed , latency and stability typically see a huge improvement on 5ghz

Well we do use. Like the fire tv in my living room has saved password of only the 5Ghz band on the main router. So it always uses that as it doesn't know any other networks.

Will I be able to combine all 4 SSID into 1 or it can only be bundled frequency wise?

Well we do use. Like the fire tv in my living room has saved password of only the 5Ghz band on the main router. So it always uses that as it doesn't know any other networks.

Will I be able to combine all 4 SSID into 1 or it can only be bundled frequency wise?
You can certainly combine all 4 into 1 - The issue you will face however is what is often termed as sticky clients
Let's say you name all your SSIDs as Raks
Now when you enter your house , your mobile is going to detect the 2.4 ghz signal from say AP1 first and will connect to that
As you get closer to AP1, you would want your mobile to jump to Raks 5ghz AP1 but that won't happen

Similarly let's say you move from floor 1 (where AP1 is) to floor 2, your mobile will continue to latch on to AP1 even to a point where the signal is practically unusable but won't flip to AP2

That's the reason why home setups with non-mesh multi AP typically keep separate SSIDs for each AP and band so that you can manually flip quickly
In an ideal mesh setup, all of this should happen transparently although results and mileage vary significantly between brands and setups

You can certainly combine all 4 into 1 - The issue you will face however is what is often termed as sticky clients
Let's say you name all your SSIDs as Raks
Now when you enter your house , your mobile is going to detect the 2.4 ghz signal from say AP1 first and will connect to that
As you get closer to AP1, you would want your mobile to jump to Raks 5ghz AP1 but that won't happen

Similarly let's say you move from floor 1 (where AP1 is) to floor 2, your mobile will continue to latch on to AP1 even to a point where the signal is practically unusable but won't flip to AP2

That's the reason why home setups with non-mesh multi AP typically keep separate SSIDs for each AP and band so that you can manually flip quickly
In an ideal mesh setup, all of this should happen transparently although results and mileage vary significantly between brands and setups

So it appears from what you said it doesn't make much sense for me to have a single SSID. I should just keep the setup as it is now.

So it appears from what you said it doesn't make much sense for me to have a single SSID. I should just keep the setup as it is now.
You can surely give it a try - if you are lucky enough to have a setup where your client device roaming threshold is at a level where you attenuation from AP1 is just about right where you want AP2 to pick up then it may just work for you.
For most setups it doesn’t

Back