Storage Solutions Two Seagate 2TB Barracuda LPs DOA - 4TBs of sadness. :(

Hey all,

I don't know where to post this so here it is in the most generic forum:

• I purchased Two Seagate 2TB Barracuda LP hard-disks from TheITWares for Rs.6,700 each on July 21st which arrived on July 25th in Pune and delivered on July 28th due to courier delays.
  • I finally got the chance to unpack them and check them today in my new build along with Apollyon and that's when the disastrous news hit us - both the HDDs are DOA.
  • They made strange grinding noises on first boot, and then started slowly clicking on subsequent boots. Windows could not format either - though they were noticed by the BIOS.
  • We tried them on both my FSP Saga II 350W PSU and Apollyon's Corsair TX1000 PSU - same result on both.

My query: since these are DOA (I never got to see them work!), I expect these to be replaced by the dealer (TheITWares). Am I right?

Also, what are the chances of this happening for both HDDs? What could be the reasons?

Finally, this whole episode was really depressing. :( I was looking forward to my 6TB server and now its all gone into thin air. :(

Sad.

Joseph

My new motherboard bought from PrimeABGB for ~9-10k, don't remember , had problematic ram slots.It was just 3 days into it,they replaced it then and there itself.Since its less than a weeks time minus shipping time,they should replace it rather than have you rma it although I'm not sure if they're obliged too.

A lot of good dealers would replace it though and I hope IT Wares is one of them.Best of Luck

Isnt replacement period on DOA for HDDs 3 days from the date of sale, or in this case, from the date of delivery to the customer ? Or is it at the discretion of the dealer ?

Iirc, Khimera had a similar problem a few months back, but he had to RMA that HDD himself.

better DOA than conk off with some data on them and get a bigger headache thinking about how to get the data off. you got lucky in a way i suppose. Its depressing though that you might have to wait a bit longer to wait for those replacement hard disks.

-D.Payne- said:
Hey all,

I don't know where to post this so here it is in the most generic forum:

• I purchased Two Seagate 2TB Barracuda LP hard-disks from TheITWares for Rs.6,700 each on July 21st which arrived on July 25th in Pune and delivered on July 28th due to courier delays.
  • I finally got the chance to unpack them and check them today in my new build along with Apollyon and that's when the disastrous news hit us - both the HDDs are DOA.
  • They made strange grinding noises on first boot, and then started slowly clicking on subsequent boots. Windows could not format either - though they were noticed by the BIOS.
  • We tried them on both my FSP Saga II 350W PSU and Apollyon's Corsair TX1000 PSU - same result on both.

My query: since these are DOA (I never got to see them work!), I expect these to be replaced by the dealer (TheITWares). Am I right?

Also, what are the chances of this happening for both HDDs? What could be the reasons?

Finally, this whole episode was really depressing. :( I was looking forward to my 6TB server and now its all gone into thin air. :(

Sad.
Joseph
Very unfortunate but not as bad as them dying a few months later with all your stuff on it.
But that's why i do not buy any HDDs shipped.
There is no way to guarantee they didn't die in transit as courier services in India are so sad.
BTW, RAM worked? :fingerscrossed: ( i so hate shipping stuff now for the same reasons and other risks.)

+ 1 to bikey and 6 pack

its good that you came to know about the fault as early as possible otherwise you could have been in more trouble

now speak to rahul [ itwares] as fast as possible and i hope you get a replacement on the spot without giving it for rma :)

Back