Car & Bike Tyres and Alloys for ANHC 1.5 S /MT

Shripad

ex-Mod
Well my car has done 34k kms. The front tyres are pretty worn out(we did switch over at 20k kms ) thanks to concrete roads here in Mumbai. And concrete Expressway between Mumbai - Pune where this car has spent its most time.

So its time to change em.

I was thinking of changing the wheels to alloys at the same time.
I have seen people going in for bigger tyres while changing alloys and tyres on these cars. But I never really bothered to look into it.

The car is extensively used. It has done 34k km in 18 months only. So that is something to keep in mind as well. Any suggestions? And any inputs on cost are also welcomed.
TBhp is very messy when to comes to subjects and search. :p

As for alloys, you could look out for Lenso, especially their Samurai series which is very good, have those on 2 of my cars and very satisfied with them. OZ too has become fairly cheap now so look into them if you are ready to splurge. Wouldnt look for those taiwanese cheap ones,I dont trust them.
As for tyres, if the car does regular highway runs, and if you drive a bit aggressively once in a while, its better to have some decent tyres. Michelin Energy XM1 are good but they are comfort oriented tyres and wouldnt offer exceptional grip while cornering hard.Not bad tyres but they cater to normal sedate driving.
I use Michelin Pilot Preceda 2 on all my cars, just love them, exceptional grip,although slightly harsh on the ride comfort part but haven't ever heard these squeal howmuchever I push around corners.Unfortunately these are discontinued and their replacement is Michelin Pilot Sport 3, I would look into this. Also I would stick to 15" and go for something like 205/55/R15 or so.
If its too expensive for you, You could look into Continental but even they dont offer performance tyres here, you get the comfort ones but nonetheless the tyres are good. Another option is BF Goodrich which is a Michelin brand.Their GForce sport or something is supposedly decent for the price.
Apart from this I would look for Yokohama but only the Advan Neovas but they are pointless for you so Yokohama is sort of out.
I wouldnt look into MRF,Goodyear,Apollo and others.
This is what I can suggest from whatever limited knowledge I have in terms of tyres. Wait for Nikhil to reply.

Amey said:
As for alloys, you could look out for Lenso, especially their Samurai series which is very good, have those on 2 of my cars and very satisfied with them. OZ too has become fairly cheap now so look into them if you are ready to splurge. Wouldnt look for those taiwanese cheap ones,I dont trust them.

As for tyres, if the car does regular highway runs, and if you drive a bit aggressively once in a while, its better to have some decent tyres. Michelin Energy XM1 are good but they are comfort oriented tyres and wouldnt offer exceptional grip while cornering hard.Not bad tyres but they cater to normal sedate driving.

I use Michelin Pilot Preceda 2 on all my cars, just love them, exceptional grip,although slightly harsh on the ride comfort part but haven't ever heard these squeal howmuchever I push around corners.Unfortunately these are discontinued and their replacement is Michelin Pilot Sport 3, I would look into this. Also I would stick to 15" and go for something like 205/55/R15 or so.

If its too expensive for you, You could look into Continental but even they dont offer performance tyres here, you get the comfort ones but nonetheless the tyres are good. Another option is BF Goodrich which is a Michelin brand.Their GForce sport or something is supposedly decent for the price.

Apart from this I would look for Yokohama but only the Advan Neovas but they are pointless for you so Yokohama is sort of out.

I wouldnt look into MRF,Goodyear,Apollo and others.

This is what I can suggest from whatever limited knowledge I have in terms of tyres. Wait for Nikhil to reply.
@ Amey: U call this limited knowledge?? Lolzzz :D

I would second the Energy XM1s for the comfort. What about Yokohama?? Are they any good.....??

I have never gone beyond Michelin once they were launched in India.

Currently Michelin is offering a free Samsung GSM cellphone FREE with a set of 4 tyres here in Mumbai...... In case u buy the Michelins, I expect to see a Sealed Samsung Cellphone in the TE Market soon!!! Lolzzz :p

EDIT: For the Alloys, why don't u try to get to get the ones that come with the V model as standard fitment?? I think they are beautiful & as they are official...... I would prefer them.

Sorry to dig out an older thread. But I had to ask. I am buying an ANHC from 2009 from its second owner. Its a VMT model The car shows 75K Kms in its odometer. The second owner hasnt changed tyres so far and has no idea if the first owner has changed tyres.

I took a mechanic to verify the car's condition and he has said no issue with the car and also the tyres can still run 10K kms. But should I be concerned that its already 75K kms and 7 years as of now? Or shall I go with mechanic's words. Will that be possible for the tyre not to wear out this long?

^ Which tyres?

Check that the tyre sidewalls aren't damaged.
Visually inspect the tyre tread to determine how much life is left. Some tyres have tread-wear indicators that show how much tyre life is left.
tyrewear.jpg

There is a DOT code on the sidewall that will have a 4 digit number indicating week and year of manufacture. You can use that to determine the age of the tyre. Tyre manufacturers say 10 years is the max lifespan, but other factors like sunlight can harden tyres causing them to crack earlier than that.
Tyre_Date_Code.jpg

Sorry to dig out an older thread. But I had to ask. I am buying an ANHC from 2009 from its second owner. Its a VMT model The car shows 75K Kms in its odometer. The second owner hasnt changed tyres so far and has no idea if the first owner has changed tyres.

I took a mechanic to verify the car's condition and he has said no issue with the car and also the tyres can still run 10K kms. But should I be concerned that its already 75K kms and 7 years as of now? Or shall I go with mechanic's words. Will that be possible for the tyre not to wear out this long?
With tyres, I have always felt better to be safe than sorry - Local mechanics tend to believe that a tyre should be run till its all bald
On top of it, the ANHC uses really thin tyres
Given the fact that 175/65R15 tyres are anyway cheap (say 18K for 4), the most you save by not changing tyres is 10/40 *18 = 4.5K (assuming a 40K km life for new tyres and 10K remaining tread on existing)
Not worth the risk IMO so just go ahead and change

Back