Linux Ubuntu 15.04: Enabling Hardware acceleration in browsers

vaibhavyagnik

youtube.com/vaibhavyagnik
Adept
Long story short, I am trying to setup ubuntu as my primary OS. Hardware is as follows
Core i7 860
DFI Lanparty P55 board
Ati HD7770

I installed ubuntu 14.04. got a upgrade notification to 15.04 so did that. My Led TV serves as my monitor so had major overscan issue. To solve that, I installed catalyst control center and ati proprietory driver. Went in corrected overscan. Now both firefox and chrome have choppy video playback in youtube anything above 720p. Processor usage is quiet high with above 30-40% in 4 cores out of 8. the support info in firefox says that hardware acceleration is not being used. I forced hardware acceleration from options that I found on the net. This resulted in heavy artifacts in firefox.

VLC plays 1080p videos fine.

How can i get overscan and smooth playback in browsers?

Switch from team Red to team Green? :D

Try the current Ubuntu 16.04 - but then again, I think I read they were doing something with the AMD proprietary vs. opensource drivers (no fglrx driver I believe). No harm in trying it though.

I uninstalled fglrx, rebooted, installed them again. Now Youtube is working fine on chromium but is still jerky on firefox. I can live with that though. Anybody know how I can install flash on chromium? the flash plugin that i donwloaded from software center only supports firefox. I need flash for playing songs from websites like saavn and gaana

-----

Found the solution. Had to enable partner sources in software center in order to download the non free flash plugin which works for both firefox and chromium

Last edited:
I remember booting from 16.XX only to find that would not boot. I dont remember the exact error. Hence I booted from 14.04 which I know boots well. then I upgraded to 15.04

It could be ATI card, you could try providing the "nomodeset" kernel option during boot, to avoid issue. Or you could wait for 16.10 to try again with the latest.

A new issue. I am getting toc block corrupt error whenever I try to boot to ubuntu. I get stuck with this message on ubuntu boot screen. The message says some commands to view log or press control-D to continue, on pressing control-D it boots into desktop and I can use normally. whats going on?

Do a google for the exact error message. Hopefully it's not a corrupted disk. (either disk bad or just files gone bad due to unclean shutdown/reboot).

i have linux installed on a hard disk that might be formatted as a dynamic disk in windows (mine is a dualboot system) that might be causing the errors. will have to check once i get home

Back