Ubuntu Fan thread

Sure.

Started with 7.04 IIRC just because I wanted to try the "wobbly windows" effect and immediately became a fan of the easy installation and usage. Back then it was stock GNOME. Switched to Kubuntu when they started screwing with the Unity UI.

Stopped using Kubuntu due to it always being late with KDE updates and I don't like stock GNOME so probably won't return even though Ubuntu main is going back to GNOME.

Currently using ubuntu-based distros "elementary OS" and "KDE Neon" along with some Fedora Workstation and Win10 in quad boot :D plus I have an additional "scratch" partition currently empty whenever I feel like trying out other distros.

Before 7.04 I was on other distros like Slackware, Redhat, Mandrake then SUSE.

"Hows it going"? For me Linux has mostly been stable and compatible over the years because I consciously used to pick laptops and PC components that would likely be compatible. Currently running AMD Ryzen 1700 on ASUS Prime B350-Plus mobo with a Radeon RX 460 GPU - all good!

Fedora is very nice but since I don't like GNOME I don't use it much. Only thing I like about it is the "Delta RPM" feature which reduces size of updates downloaded.

For me Ubuntu rocks mainly because if you face a problem the likelihood of finding a solution online is probably the highest for this distro.

Other than that, I sometimes try out other "niche" distros like Arch, KaOS etc. whenever the distro-hopping itch needs to be scratched.

Last edited:
I never liked the concept of using pirated Windows. My laptop came pre installed with Ubuntu. Using it ever since. Quite happy with it :)

Used 14.04 for some time. Didn't like the side unity panel. Didn't like that it didn't come with video and audio codecs installed. Video performance was not so good on it.

Shifted to Mint 17.2 (cause using old AMD GPU and want fglrx updates which is not supported in 18+).

Like the almost Windows feel of it. Only drawback is copy paste delete etc is not supported all at once but is queued up. I think this is now supported in linux kernels 14.10+. Don't know when Mint will update to that version though.

I had tried Mint a few years ago (Cinnamon DE I guess) but didn't like the look and feel, for me KDE always seemed closer to the Windows experience. Was also put off by some weird kernel update mechanism on Mint too at that time.

Really also enjoying the macOS-like clean and simple UI of "elementary OS" these days.

Cinnamon is awesome. If you just came from Windows, it's the best thing that can happen to you. I had issues with Unity getting removed while using Cinnamon. They are not the best mates, Ubuntu and LM.

I tried Elementary OS in virtual mode.
GUI is somewhat similar to Fedora i think. Main problem I saw was - seems there are no apps for it at all or I didn't find a way to install any apps. Software center was almost empty. What can you do on an os without any software on it? I felt it was completely useless in its current form. Removed it.

The lack of Google drive client and no hardware acceleration for HEVC is the reason why I always go back to windows.

I tried Elementary OS in virtual mode.
GUI is somewhat similar to Fedora i think. Main problem I saw was - seems there are no apps for it at all or I didn't find a way to install any apps. Software center was almost empty. What can you do on an os without any software on it? I felt it was completely useless in its current form. Removed it.

I faced the same issue. It started working after running "sudo apt-get update " and "sudo apt-get upgrade".

I don't understand. You mean, ctrl +c /v/x won't work in Mint ?
no, I meant, those operations are queued up by Nemo.
Example - you copy a folder of 15Gb from one drive over network to a disk in the computer.
Then you want to delete something on another disk in the computer. This delete operation gets queued below the copy operation by default. Same happens, if you copy and paste other things after the delete operation - they all get queued up one after another till the first operation is completed. So if the first operation - the data copy takes 20 minutes to complete, then all the other tasks will get done automatically only after that 20 minutes of waiting time and not side by side.

Cinnamon is awesome. If you just came from Windows, it's the best thing that can happen to you. I had issues with Unity getting removed while using Cinnamon. They are not the best mates, Ubuntu and LM.
I am still using Linux mint in dual boot with Windows 10
before that tried many distros but in the end settled with Linux mint.. it gives windows feel and a strong community to solve issues

There are a lot of them. You will need to get one which supports your version of Ubuntu. Most of them are not updated though. Maybe no bugs so nothing to update.

Using mint 18 on desktop and netbook. Was previously using Ubuntu latest with win7 on desktop . I don't like unity so switched to mint 18.1 .
Will revert to Ubuntu when unity is ditched finally .

Back