Ubuntu Fan thread

why not just install the avaliable "qBittorrent" program and never look back?! :)

utorrent is shady crap these days, isn't it?[DOUBLEPOST=1497986573][/DOUBLEPOST]and anyway you should avoid installing via stand alone DEB files, since they don't get auto updated like when you install from the package repositories online.

why not just install the avaliable "qBittorrent" program and never look back?! :)

utorrent is shady crap these days, isn't it?[DOUBLEPOST=1497986573][/DOUBLEPOST]and anyway you should avoid installing via stand alone DEB files, since they don't get auto updated like when you install from the package repositories online.

+1 to qbittorrent. Lovely app in both operating systems. uTorrent these days comes with malware and is best avoided.

As for .deb files, the only thing I'm aware of that requires a standalone .deb is the Steam client. But then steam has its own auto update system so we really should not be worried.

Yep, similarly the Skype deb file sets up an APT repository in the sources.list file so it gets (auto) updated subsequently.[DOUBLEPOST=1498032228][/DOUBLEPOST]And yep, so @meetdilip try qbittorrent in both Windows and Linux - avoid uTorrent :D

So apparently there is a new high speed local Indian ubuntu mirror available, see: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-in/2017-June/011694.html

I was able to hit my max 40+ mbps speed on my Jio 4G connection. Note that you can also replace the "security.ubuntu.com" entries in your sources.list :)

Wondering if anyone with a super fast (100+ mbps) wired connection is around here who can try this if they use ubuntu?

Do you think that it would have been nice if Ubuntu had a C drive and proper location for program files and Windows ( system files ) as in Windows ? It's messy to explore software or system related files in Ubuntu

LOL i guess you will take some time to get used to the unix way of things :) it's the same for everyone who starts off. once you get comfortable with ubuntu style then you'll complain about how things are different in, say, fedora! i was in the same boat when i started off with linux too.

In any case, these days you see Windows trying to emulate unix (posix) filesystem conventions better, since they're slowly but steadily losing mindshare.

I am using Ubuntu since almost 8 years now. Sadly, if there is something wrong with an app, I have to explore many areas, or ask on some forum. But in Windows, everything is well arranged. You have a windows folder where you find everything related to OS, program files where you can become a software expert browsing through it's folder.

In Ubuntu, this luxury is missing.

I've been using linux for nearly 20 years now and I still need to frequently search online for solutions.

I didn't understand your statement - you are comparing apples to oranges? the need to explore in ubuntu vs. windows having everything arranged? ubuntu/linux also has everything "arranged" well IMO :D

And you can become a software expert browsing linux folders, and also remember - able to read all the open source code too!

You mistook my comment. It is easy to find files related to a software in Windows better than Ubuntu. I have my own project for Ubuntu. I find it complicated to deal with widely scattered software related files.

In Mac OS, everything is in one folder. So you can easily delete a program by just deleting it's folder. I wonder why Apple does not open up their PC OS. It's an in-house version of BSD I think.

Mac is Darwin OS i think. but anyways you guys should stop comparing windows with Linux lol.

Lubuntu.net & lubuntu.me - which is the real lubuntu site?

Want to download it.

Are you going to try it for a "lightweight" desktop UI or just for the looks? IMO this whole "lightweight" thing is misguided. Today even popular desktops like KDE, GNOME etc hover around 500 MB RAM usage on startup with low CPU usage too.

The problem comes when you install apps like web browsers etc. and they are the culprits that eat resources, so does not matter which desktop UI you pick :D might as well go with what you enjoy the most and not worry about it.

[semi rant over]

Are you going to try it for a "lightweight" desktop UI or just for the looks? IMO this whole "lightweight" thing is misguided. Today even popular desktops like KDE, GNOME etc hover around 500 MB RAM usage on startup with low CPU usage too.

The problem comes when you install apps like web browsers etc. and they are the culprits that eat resources, so does not matter which desktop UI you pick :D might as well go with what you enjoy the most and not worry about it.

[semi rant over]

Its for installing on an intel nuc with celeron proccy with just 4 gb ram. will install it on a 64gb sdcard so don't want to tax it much. I might install this or linux mint 18.1.

Cool. Note that if you are using and SD card and want to reduce the load a bit, try setting the "noatime" option on the filesystem (use ext4). Not sure if TRIM (using the "discard" option) will help here. But I'm just recalling possibly outdated stuff from memory. You should do this regardless of distro, lubuntu, mint or full ubuntu/gnome/kde based distros because they are all basically the same performance and load :D

Back