Ubuntu Fan thread

Not that I know of.

If you just want hibernate, but willing to fully shutdown in case you want to boot to linux, then try disabling fast startup but leaving hibernation option available, if thats possible?

I keep it all off, because I love the shutdown in Win10 and linux which is super fast already, but this is on an SSD.

Not that I know of.

If you just want hibernate, but willing to fully shutdown in case you want to boot to linux, then try disabling fast startup but leaving hibernation option available, if thats possible?

I keep it all off, because I love the shutdown in Win10 and linux which is super fast already, but this is on an SSD.
I also have an SSD. But many a times I just hibernate instead of putting laptop to sleep as I run laptop directly from mains and have removed the battery. Press power button to hibernate is just so convenient!
I will try different methods over the weekend!

Avid Ubuntu user here.... :)

Been using Ubuntu since 9.04 when I joined an embedded systems course post BE.

Since then, always installed Ubuntu in each and every laptop/desktop and used it for C/C++ programming, Boot repairs, and surfing the internet.

I prefer the gnome interface rather than Unity.

Ubuntu has saved my HDD data on numerous occasions like when Windows XP/7 went corrupt/infected with a virus/etc.

Cheers! :)

Does anyone have a solution for HEVC playback on elementaryOS? It's choppy and laggy on a g4400 with onboard graphics. On windows, it barely touches 10% usage on POT player.

Just came across this great webpage: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IntelQuickSyncVideo

What about NVIDIA and AMD?
They have different acceleration architectures with different instructions. So for the sake of simplicity, NVIDIA and AMD are not covered in this document. Still, long term future efforts for all CPU/GPU types should be focussed on FFmpeg for the same reasons outlined above.

It has links to the following too:

https://github.com/01org/intel-vaapi-driver/blob/master/README
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video#Hardware_decoding_and_encoding

@hotshot05 Yes it is stable for me :) But that does not mean it will be the same for you. Different hardware not to mention different usage (I dont do gaming for example and I dont run too many variety of software or customisations either). You can give it a try by booting off the Live ISO usb image to see if it works with your wifi card. Note that elementary OS (current "loki" 0.4.1 version) is based on the older ubuntu 16.04 LTS stable edition but IINM they also include some broadcom wireless which normal ubuntu does not have by default.

BTW have you tried searching for the issue with your wifi card model number, for example here: https://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=336 ? IIRC there was a recent update that changed some default setting causing wifi issue and just changing that setting resolved it for some users but I cant remember exactly.

Just tried some changes in my existing installation of Ubuntu and my Wi Fi started working.

Press Windows icon on Keyboard -> type in Driver -> Open "Additional Drivers" -> Go to "Additional Drivers" tab -> Check if your peripheral device is listed and the radio button saying "Do not use the device" is selected.
If yes then just select the other option which says "Using Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver source from bcmwl-kernel-source (proprietary)" and press "Apply Changes"

I guess that since it was a proprietary driver, it was not applied by default.

Just wanted to mention that I recently switched jobs and at my new workplace I'm allowed to run elementary OS !!! Loki 0.4.2 works great on my Dell Latitude E7450 with an external monitor and everyone's interest in the office has been piqued by elementary's distinctive UI/UX ! For comparison, at my previous workplace I was forced to run Win7 on my laptop haha!

Just wanted to mention that I recently switched jobs and at my new workplace I'm allowed to run elementary OS !!! Loki 0.4.2 works great on my Dell Latitude E7450 with an external monitor and everyone's interest in the office has been piqued by elementary's distinctive UI/UX ! For comparison, at my previous workplace I was forced to run Win7 on my laptop haha!

At my workplace I am the only one allowed to use Linux on my desktop. Its because I have always refused to develop anything on windows.

At my workplace I am the only one allowed to use Linux on my desktop. Its because I have always refused to develop anything on windows.
Wish I had the same privilege :(
I was working on Linux/Unix command line for almost 5 years in my previous job... and now... you guessed it.... the application being developed is on Windows only... so no option of Linux :mad:

Wish I had the same privilege :(
I was working on Linux/Unix command line for almost 5 years in my previous job... and now... you guessed it.... the application being developed is on Windows only... so no option of Linux :mad:

In my office a webapp was required which no one was willing to develop. I told my managers such webapp can be developed only on a Linux based server. They had no option. They agreed to provide me Linux based Server and Desktop.

No need to be on a tab diet in Firefox anymore. More tabs are welcome since FF 55

firefox-55-memory-tab-use-750x466.png

If you name subtitle file same as the video file, most video players pick up the subtitle file automatically.

e.g - Video file = movie99.mkv (can have any extension)
Subtitle file in same folder = movie99.srt

Back