Ubuntu for phones has been announced !

I've been using ubuntu on my toshiba ac100 which is a tegra 2. the problem with ubuntu is unity interface. its very heavy. I think it will take some time to stabilize as more people start adopting it. but as of now, its not as stable as android.

i had bad experiences with ubuntu on my pc lots of times. it would suddenly start asking for a password in the live cd version after running fine for 2-3 months. on top of that it wouldn't take any of the default ubuntu passwords i put into it. imagine same thing happening on a mobile phone & being totally locked out of the phone. lol.

Functionality of notification area seems the best comparing to Android....They took screen management seriously so user can get benefitted in small screen phone too, This is just great idea....Windows Phone give us titles,so much screen waste.

Anyhow no lock- screen.... and status circle in the Welcome screen amazing. Love it.

The presentation of was really "Apple"-ed up .. I crnnged when he ended up using the word "magical" to describe the phone .. I mean .. CMONN!!

really nifty UI innovations .. captivating but without over-doing it.
Google could learn a few lessons.

1. HTML 5 being "first class" apps at par with Native apps.
2. UNIX level security
3. Desktop presence .. though it was heavily suggested but nothing was shown along those lines except for the Unity cloud.
4. ...

i had bad experiences with ubuntu on my pc lots of times. it would suddenly start asking for a password in the live cd version after running fine for 2-3 months. on top of that it wouldn't take any of the default ubuntu passwords i put into it. imagine same thing happening on a mobile phone & being totally locked out of the phone. lol.

+1, had to reinstall Ubuntu a couple of times to circumvent that password prompt (I used the pendrive / persistent version). Imagine going on a trip on the basis of the GPS map and getting locked out of the phone in the middle of the journey.

^^ what sort of logic is that? I've had loads of BSODs on windows over the years but I don't see people complaining about them on windows phone.

^ I wasn't trying to be logical there but was recalling an issue (OT though). The features and UI shown in the video were amazing but would hate to be in a position where I can't access my mobile device because the OS has locked me out. At least in case of BSOD / PCs, you have the option to look for workarounds, search for help, google from another system / tab, etc but for a mobile device, in the middle of the road, the options are pretty limited.

Back