Unboxing: Asus GL552J

aman.pitbull

Skilled
Sorry for the hasty pics, need to do a little 'kasrat' in the evening.

Bought this from eBay:
Packing (Good):
qyvusa9d4ukxhl44g.jpg

y6w03quc946b6b94g.jpg

Free 8GB PD (Nice):
hfcuu6z4ctkbfuu4g.jpg

Open ROG (a sight for sore eyes):
iug3643rgpsa82o4g.jpg

Awesome Craftsmanship (supreme looking logo):
df8dq6r4r1l1r4f4g.jpg

The BACK that matters the most, easy serviceable areas:
564nj5p8xtmy5i44g.jpg

Keyboard Snapshot (looks really good):
4ulzr4p2bowz57k4g.jpg

Accessories mentioned hmmm, DA FUK, STUFF IS MISSING:
c44q89thdh11q7l4g.jpg

That's all that was there folks:
1fx3cqvfaae1s2t4g.jpg

My laptop's configuration:
7nf656suac4r1om4g.jpg

t4dddixsqpip3s64g.jpg

Processor:
Intel Core i7-4720HQ​
Motherboard:
Asus Intel HM86 (Lynx Point)​
Graphics:
Intel HD Graphics 4600
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M​
Hard Disk:
120GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD
1TB 7200rpm​
RAM:
4GB DDR3 L 1600Mhz CL11 SKHynx HMT451S6BFR8A-PB
4GB DDR3 L 1600Mhz CL11 Kingston 99U5417-030.A00G​
Monitor:
15.6'' 1080p TN: AU Optronics B156HTN03.6​
WiFi Adapter:
Intel 7265.NGW WiFi (Maple Peak) Network Adapter​
Battery:
4 Cell 48 Whr (48240 mWh)​

The laptop was opened before shipping by the seller and the laptop bag, and gaming mouse were taken out. On chat also he had mentioned that these would be supplied with the laptop as the laptop is seal packed and they have not even opened it. I sold off my MX518 because of this. Happy that I got the laptop but feel cheated because of the misinformation that was conveyed. Seller sent a 8GB PD as a gesture of goodwill for the 2 weeks delay that was caused in shipping.

A xerox copy of the original thai bill has been supplied.

Will power it on after some time and give you a better review on the performance.

Benchmark Scores:

3D MARK 11 (Performance, 1280x720) : P4536

CINEBENCH R10:
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
Number of CPUs : 8
Operating System : WINDOWS 64 BIT 6.2.9200
Graphics Card : GeForce GTX 950M/PCIe/SSE2
Resolution : 800x600
Color Depth : 8-bit
Rendering (Single CPU): 6692 CB-CPU
Rendering (Multiple CPU): 25257 CB-CPU
Multiprocessor Speedup: 3.77
Shading (OpenGL Standard) : 6774 CB-GFX
****************************************************​
AS SSD:
Primary Drive(replaced the 7200rpm 1TB with Sandisk Ultra II 120GB) @ 6GB/s:
s848i4i4yo6io344g.jpg

Secondary Drive (1TB 7200rpm @ 3GB/s attached in the DvD-drive bay):
a6lq76ktykalvaw4g.jpg

Last edited:
Laptop looks really good. Eagerly waiting for the review.[DOUBLEPOST=1432912962][/DOUBLEPOST]"15.6'' 1080p TN"

isn't the panel an IPS one?

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase! :)

BTW, can you please upload a close-up of a few keys of the keyboard? I was wondering how the Thai characters on it look like.

Thanks.

Hi,

We will investigate about the mark on screw as you are saying and will surely take action on that, that is strange and things like this never happens, the product is manufactured in May 2015 itself and there is no way that someone opened it with wrong intentions etc.

about the mouse and bag, we never mentioned those in our ebay listing, we were selling the laptop only at that price, we never said that we are providing the mouse or bag with it.

The laptop was costing nearly 5000 extra with the bag and mouse and those didn't worth it, so to cut the costs and make the laptop cheapest in final selling price we bought only the laptop from our supplier, there is no cheating in this because we never said or mentioned that we will provide a bag or mouse.

You get only the thing mentioned in ebay listing, and you have got that, if there are any extras provided by manufacturer then we mention these in listings or we sell these separately and adjust it's costs in the main item.

The new stock will come again and will list it with mouse and bag but the price will be higher, so you have got the laptop at cheapest price possible.

Sorry for the hasty pics, need to do a little 'kasrat' in the evening.

The laptop was opened before shipping by the seller .....

Why is there a need to open the sealed package ? I am not at all comfortable with this.
If you buy physically the shops offer to open the package in front of you, but you
can always refuse. There is always asus warranty, ebay assurance to take care
of any discrepancies.

To me this is a big negative. Will the seller reply here please ?

Last edited:
Why is there a need to open the sealed package ? I am not at all comfortable with this.
If you buy physically the shops offer to open the package in front of you, but you
can always refuse. There is always asus warranty, ebay assurance to take care
of any discrepancies.

To me this is a big negative. Will the seller reply here please ?

The seller has replied above, seems to be an off case as nothing was touched inside.
Also the seller has been more helpful then most of the dealers I've dealt with till now.
Snapshot of the keyboard attached.

Attachments

• 1432960196396.jpg
    1432960196396.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 475
Just installed Windows. The screen is just about okay. The previous Dell Studio XPS 1640 I owned did have a superior screen. So that was a little disappointing. The colours are not that vibrant or vivid, so I'd give it an average when it comes to watching movies or series on it.

Battery is giving me about 2.5 - 3 hours of usage under normal conditions (didn't expect more for this powerhouse)....

I think this has a PLS screen made by samsung not TN. I wonder why Asus is diluting the ROG brand by making gaming laptops with DDR3 video memory. As it is common knowledge, DDR3 for video memory performs very very poorly.

Just installed Windows. The screen is just about okay. The previous Dell Studio XPS 1640 I owned did have a superior screen. So that was a little disappointing. The colours are not that vibrant or vivid, so I'd give it an average when it comes to watching movies or series on it.

Battery is giving me about 2.5 - 3 hours of usage under normal conditions (didn't expect more for this powerhouse)....
I'm getting a little better than expected, 4hrs.

The view angles of the screen seemed fine, I really enjoyed the super fast driver installation process though. I heard - read that Asus gives pre-calibrated color profiles, did you find any?

Gtx950 with 2gb ddr5 would have been a lot better. But we dint have any other choice at this price.

I'm getting a little better than expected, 4hrs.

The view angles of the screen seemed fine, I really enjoyed the super fast driver installation process though. I heard - read that Asus gives pre-calibrated color profiles, did you find any?

Gtx950 with 2gb ddr5 would have been a lot better. But we dint have any other choice at this price.
Nope. Did not find any such profiles. Do tell me if you do.

And yea getting a 950M GDDR5 is not really possible at this price point.

Was your battery running at balanced or powersaver? And what applications were you running?[DOUBLEPOST=1433077683][/DOUBLEPOST]Also... Will you be buying extra RAM? Any recommendations? Am a little bit of a noob in this area.

Any ddr3L 4gb 1600mhz will do, preferably skhynx.

I'll search for the profiles, found a few but they were for the ips panel.

I've modified the battery profiles to my needs, that mostly means more focus on maximum performance when plugged in and maximum battery life when unplugged.

Nope. Did not find any such profiles. Do tell me if you do.

And yea getting a 950M GDDR5 is not really possible at this price point.

Was your battery running at balanced or powersaver? And what applications were you running?[DOUBLEPOST=1433077683][/DOUBLEPOST]Also... Will you be buying extra RAM? Any recommendations? Am a little bit of a noob in this area.

Back