[Unconfirmed] Sony Xperia Z6 to have five models, a 4-inch Mini among them

Sony will have the Xperia Z6, and a total of 5 of them, apparently. If the latest post on Antutu's Weibo page is to be believed, we'll be seeing a further diversification of Sony's flagship lineup, with diagonals ranging from 4 to 6.4 inches.

Sony Xperia Z6 models-

Sony Xperia Z6 mini with 4-inch display
Sony Xperia Z6 Compact with 4.6-inch display
Sony Xperia Z6 with 5.2-inch display
Sony Xperia Z6 Plus with 5.8-inch display
Sony Xperia Z6 Ultra with 6.4-inch display

The namesake model, the Xperia Z6, will keep the 5.2-inch display. Sony settled at that number for the Xperia Z2 (effectively the third-gen flagship after the Xperia Z and Z1) and appears to be considering that as the sweet spot.

Sony is more or less exclusively occupying the mini flagship category with its Compacts, and the Z6 generation will have a 4.6-inch Xperia Z6 Compact as well.
Not stopping there, for next year's lineup Sony may be gracing us with an even smaller 4-inch Z6 Mini. This one, however, is reported to be powered by a Snapdragon 620, unlike the rest of the bunch, which will all come with the Snapdragon 820 powerhouse inside.

This year Sony debuted the Xperia Z5 Premium, but it would seem that the 5.5-inch diagonal will remain a one-off effort in the Z-series. Upwards of the 5.2 inches of the Z6, we're in for a 5.8-inch Xperia Z6 Plus and a 6.4-inch Xperia Z6 Ultra - joining the Plus trend and bringing back to life the Ultra moniker introduced with the original Xperia Z Ultra in the summer of 2013.

But Antutu doesn't stop there. It's also revealed that the Xperia Z6 and Z6 Plus will feature a form of pressure sensitive displays, like Apple's 3D touch on the latest-gen iPhone 6s/6s Plus.

Now, we know better not to expect any of this to become official at CES next month, more likely MWC in Barcelona. At least such extensive plans might serve as confirmation that Sony hasn't given up on its mobile business just yet.

Source

4.6" I can understand but 4"? Hard to believe. Same goes for the 6.4" Z6 Ultra.

I am looking forward to the return of the smaller screen tbh. This whole craze for bigger screen has gone way too far.
Rumours are, that even apple is in line for bringing out a 4" iphone.

A 4" Sony mobile phone with a pretty decent 620 chipset, 720p screen and (hopefully) superb camera and a strong battery pack.. this ll make up for a phone which requires to be charged after 2-3 days of regular usage.

I am looking forward to the return of the smaller screen tbh. This whole craze for bigger screen has gone way too far.
Rumours are, that even apple is in line for bringing out a 4" iphone.

A 4" Sony mobile phone with a pretty decent 620 chipset, 720p screen and (hopefully) superb camera and a strong battery pack.. this ll make up for a phone which requires to be charged after 2-3 days of regular usage.
Valid points. I also don't like huge screens like in many of the phones today. The largest screen size which i would go for is 5" unless the phone has very good specs like the Moto Nexus 6. Phones nowadays have hugeass bezels like the Moto E/G. I can do S4 just fine thanks to the thin bezels. I used to hate 5" phones a lot tbh but realized it only recently that it was mostly due to the poor screen-body ratio after i held the S4. So if Sony really plan to release a 4" Xperia it should be with thin bezels or none at all like the DELL XPS 13 2015 (?). Else it would look ugly and that 720p display may not help. Hopefully it will also come with a battery optimizing technology and not something like the Z1 which was plagued with serious battery problems.

Some people (especially elder) desire flagship level performance in compacy package.

Basically should fit in your front package of shirt.

That's why many people prefer 5s
I really don't think that people buy the 5S for the size. That would be a wrong assumption. And lets face it, no company is going to go through the hassle of making a very compact phone just to please "some" people. Apple is Apple and people will still buy their phones even if they come in 5" or 6" just like how people go for the latest Nexus phones no matter what the sizes are.

I use the Xperia ZR and have been happy with it since 2013. The Z6 compact would be perfect for me. I dislike phones with big screens - they're ridiculous devices.

People like to keep a difference between phone+tablet and phablet
I really don't think that people buy the 5S for the size. That would be a wrong assumption. And lets face it, no company is going to go through the hassle of making a very compact phone just to please "some" people. Apple is Apple and people will still buy their phones even if they come in 5" or 6" just like how people go for the latest Nexus phones no matter what the sizes are.

^
^
I use the Xperia ZR and have been happy with it since 2013. The Z6 compact would be perfect for me. I dislike phones with big screens - they're ridiculous devices.

U see not everyone adapts to 5.5" standard

General public can handle 5.5 without much trouble. They only look to see if it fits in the pocket. Base this of my doctor. He used to have a 3.8" and told me don't get this screen its too small. have to hold it up to your face to read anything. Then i found him with a 5.5 local brand. No problem with two handed use.

The experienced lot have this condition known as one hand syndrome. If they cannot do everything with one hand as they learnt then the screen is too big. But screens are the big thing, higher resolution over battery life. bigger screen to see video.

Devices got bigger because people are buying them.

Sony Xperia Z6 Lite Tipped [5-Inch Display, Snapdragon 650 SoC]

Sony was earlier said to launch five smartphones under its Xperia Z6 series, a figure that was later reduced to four (mini was taken away) as per a leaked T-Mobile roadmap.
However, according to a new report, the Sony Xperia Z6 will include one more variant dubbed Xperia Z6 Lite.

The rumoured Sony Xperia Z6 Lite might feature a 5-inch display and will fall between the Xperia Z6 Compact and the Xperia Z6, says Mobile Dad a Chinese website (via Phonearena), adding that it will bear a metal rear panel. The smartphone is also said to house the hexa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 650 SoC, formerly known as Snapdragon 618. The device is also expected to cost $385 (roughly Rs. 25,500) and hit the shelves in May next year.

Back