Unlimited broadband conection in Kolkata - which ISP

gourav

Skilled
I have been using BSNL broadband for 4 years. I have been using Combo plan and wanted to change to unlimited. I applied on 23rd Nov and since then I have visited the office 4 times and received calls thrice, but no one can tell me when the plan will change, if ever.

So now I want to change my ISP. After going through a few forums and looking up the plans, I have shortlisted 3 ISPs

Reliance Wireline: Combo plan King pack 699
Alliance broadband: Executive Plus @ 699
Wish net Broadband: Unlimited Plan Gold @ 690

I have mentioned the plan I can take because my budget is 800 p.m. (700 + ST)
Speed wise Wish net is best, but Reliance is a known name. Again I have heard a lot about alliance, but their speeds are lowest amongst the three.

Which of these will be best considering the speeds they promise and actually deliver and quality of service.

see i dont know about the value for money you'd get with Airtel Broadband compared to these local ISP's, but was in Calcutta for a year and used Airtel broadband..

Rs 500 PM, unlimited download, 512 Kbps for 10 GB thereafter 256 Kbps (bits not bytes). but plans must have changed now..

One things for sure, they've superb customer service.. you pay them in the afternoon, by next morning you've your broadband working, and incase theres any problem, some customer care guy will be at your house within 24 hrs..for sure..

If only I could understand Airtel's plans.
There's nothing called an unlimited plan. They have something called bill cap, there is no mention whether the bill cap is an FUP or we will be charged on per MB basis after bill cap with reduce speed or whatever. It's way too complicated.

I can't climb Mount everest just to determine what their plans mean. So I didn't pay much attention to Airtel. One thing I know about Airtel is that, if you sell a kidney, you will probably get good speeds till 10 GB. There is no chance of getting more than 256 kbps beyond 10 GB

go for wishnet, if it is available, but better check about your cable service from others, Wishnet have great lan support, I mean.. you will get 300-400 gb of sharing at any moment in lan.. and if your speed is not capped you may get around 5-12 mbps download speed in lan. I was very happy with wishnet, but my cable operator changed their DNS to some crap.

i would go with reliance ... ive been using it here for the past year or so and have only gotten problems 2wice that too was rectified within 24hrs.. and the best part is for reliance unlimited means unlimited no bill crap no FUP ....

Can wishnet connection be made wireless by use of a Router?

@lll_aritra_lll What do you mean by 350-400 GB of sharing in LAN? Are you talking about wishnet user's personal database? Please Elaborate...

Also, what is the meaning of Max Contention Ratio for Home Users -- 1:20

Spacescreamer said:
Unlimited broadband conection in Kolkata - which ISP

Vs

Which ISP for Unltd BBand Internet (Kolkata) ?

What do you mean? if you are referring to my post in other forum, I don't think asking the same question in multiple forums is wrong in anyway. Especially this kind of question which depends a lot on personal experience

Bhutoria_1989 said:

@lll_aritra_lll What do you mean by 350-400 GB of sharing in LAN? Are you talking about wishnet user's personal database? Please Elaborate...

I too wanted to know about these. I might soon get a wi-fi phone, will I be able to use it with that?
And what is Max connection ratio? BSNL reports it as 1:25

Bhutoria_1989 said:

yes, personal database.. there's a good community sharing files voluntarily and also on demand..

and yes again, it can be made wireless using router, my friend is using it on router for over one and half years

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

gourav said:
What do you mean? if you are referring to my post in other forum, I don't think asking the same question in multiple forums is wrong in anyway. Especially this kind of question which depends a lot on personal experience

I too wanted to know about these. I might soon get a wi-fi phone, will I be able to use it with that?

And what is Max connection ratio? BSNL reports it as 1:25

yes you can.. cant comment about connection ratio though hvn't checked it

gourav said:
I have been using BSNL broadband for 4 years. I have been using Combo plan and wanted to change to unlimited. I applied on 23rd Nov and since then I have visited the office 4 times and received calls thrice, but no one can tell me when the plan will change, if ever.

For plan change you have to apply before 20th. If you submit application before 20th of this month the plan will get changed from 1st (or 2nd) next month. Since you applied on 23rd it with be changed on the 3rd month (including the application month).

These days you don't even need to go to exchange, just find out the fax no. of the commercial officer of your exchange and fax your application, if you like send a copy of the application by post also. Works smoothly. I got mine changed recently this way. The hardest part will be to find out the Fax no. But usually a few calls to local exchange and you'll get the no.

gourav said:

Major part of the thread title u used gives the indication that u have made a thread for unltd bband connection's news.

Then comes the stub at the end to convey that you are in fact asking advice/suggestion for one.

Choosing a suitable thread title goes for a long way in getting replies quickly and less confusion/time wastage.

South Kolkata (rash behari area) -

Reliance not available
BSNL/Airtel both horrible. Airtel v.expensive+FUP+low speed
BSNL horrible ping,packet loss,latency fluctuation, freq outages

From what I have heard any cable internet puts u at the mercy of local cablewallahs:

This means - unreliable dns servers, very very frequent outages during minor issues; load shedding, voltage fluctuation and so on. Also packet loss/latency/jitter just like bsnl. contention ratio can also be a problem

wifi - all garbage

reliance seemed very unprofessional as well with no interest to expand service to my area.....

Neeshka said:
South Kolkata (rash behari area) -

Reliance not available

BSNL/Airtel both horrible. Airtel v.expensive+FUP+low speed

BSNL horrible ping,packet loss,latency fluctuation, freq outages

From what I have heard any cable internet puts u at the mercy of local cablewallahs:

This means - unreliable dns servers, very very frequent outages during minor issues; load shedding, voltage fluctuation and so on. Also packet loss/latency/jitter just like bsnl. contention ratio can also be a problem

wifi - all garbage

reliance seemed very unprofessional as well with no interest to expand service to my area.....

That is a major issue, unless your cable provider has a prompt service.. about packet loss, cant do anything, but still, I can keep my bill in budget

wishnet is good but i would suggest alliance.

wishnet are using connection by a renting procedure from alliance.

wishnet and alliance both are good but their service is totally dependent on your operator.

i suggest that if you have alliance in your area and your provider's service is good then it will work like a charm.

the only reason i am not suggesting wishnet because many a times i have notice that their torrent download speed falls from 2mbps to 0 kbps.

in the afternoon from 12 pm to 4pm their connection speed becomes very slow and you cant watch a video or download huge files.

but alliance dont have this type of problems.

this proves that their internet connection is taken from others and so that they were unable to keep a well maintenance over their faults.

I'm using wishnet. Very fast and peering works good. I do get occasional ping loss maybe one or twice per week for an hour or two. But this happens with most local players.

But you will be limited to what your local lc provides anyway.

Back