Unlocked 4G dongle or a cheap redmi phone 6A wifi hotspot?

newuser990

Disciple
Hi guys, I am confused about something...I will be spending the next 6-8 months in some remote area and will have to depend on 4g wifi dongles for internet on my laptop. I was thinking about buying one of the unlocked huwaie/D-link dongles but then it occurred to me why not buy a cheap redmi phone and use its hotspot wifi feature....I know it is expensive than dongles but I will be able to use 2 sims at the same time with it and I can use it as a phone as well. I also have a primary phone but for some reason I dont want to use it as a hotspot 24*7 for months.

What do you guys think? Any better and cheap alternative to the dongles/redmi?

Huawei-E8372-Unlocked-Wi-Fi-Wingle for Rs 3,050

D-Link 4G LTE Wireless USB Router DWR-910 for Rs 4,299

Redmi 6A (Black, 2GBRAM, 16GB Storage) for Rs 6,599

Why bother with an unlocked device when you can get devices from your carriers for a much cheaper price? Both Jio and Airtel have 4G devices for Rs.1000. I don't think any other carrier will offer you decent speeds in rural areas. So get one or both and save yourself some cash and some trouble.

^ Problem is I will be traveling around a lot in that region so I dont expect any 1 carrier to provide me good signal everywhere I go.. so I want to have at least 3 SIM (airtel, JIO and BSNL)... in case 1 didn't work, the other one might.

I think having two dongles from Jio and Airtel would be easier approach. Though it seems you can use smartphone with two SIMs as a phone but I think with constant charging, battery might be bulging/giving up soon.

This is a bit larger device but you should think once.

Micromax Bharat 1 (V407). dual sim 4G feature phone.
You can choose data from either sim.
has good battery backup (2000 mah). I have used for about two months.
you will option to tether either through wifi/BT/USB.

Ok so I went to an Airtel store to inquire about the wifi hotspot device, she told me that the device will cost 1000Rs and you can only use a postpaid sim(I am not sure what she meant by postpaid because in postpaid we pay at the end of month and if we are paying in advance it is prepaid, right?) with it...and the post paid data plans (399 for 2GB data/day for 1 month.... or pay for 6 months 399*6 in advance and I will get the device free....also I won't have to pay GST at this time but when I recharge next time after 6 months I will have to pay the GST of the last 6 months LOL) seems to be expensive than prepaid plans. Is it true? Can the device be used only with this so-called postpaid SIM, or can I use my existing SIM card with it.... because I asked her and she said no, I cant use my existing 4G sim.[DOUBLEPOST=1542624954][/DOUBLEPOST]Thanks nimod that option also looks good.

Ok so I went to an Airtel store to inquire about the wifi hotspot device, she told me that the device will cost 1000Rs and you can only use a postpaid sim(I am not sure what she meant by postpaid because in postpaid we pay at the end of month and if we are paying in advance it is prepaid, right?) with it...and the post paid data plans (399 for 2GB data/day for 1 month.... or pay for 6 months 399*6 in advance and I will get the device free....also I won't have to pay GST at this time but when I recharge next time after 6 months I will have to pay the GST of the last 6 months LOL) seems to be expensive than prepaid plans. Is it true? Can the device be used only with this so-called postpaid SIM, or can I use my existing SIM card with it.... because I asked her and she said no, I cant use my existing 4G sim.[DOUBLEPOST=1542624954][/DOUBLEPOST]Thanks nimod that option also looks good.

All BS. You can use a prepaid SIM. They just need to milk their sales figures and all...

^ yeah thats what I was thinking..... saale yeh sab chor hain. :D
Airtel aka Chortel is the official telecom chor in India. That idiotic lady must be fooling all innocent users stating only postpaid sims work in the dingle. Crap! Whats the logic? Ask her tomorrow stating does postpaid and prepaid got different towers as well??

5 yrs ago I went to Docomo gallery to get a replacement micro sim for my new phone.
That guy said micro sim is only available for postpaid users as of now. RoFl!! gr8 to hear stupid answers but very bad convincing me to go for postpaid.
He then said (as if doing a big big favor on me) I will get this postpaid wow-sim approved for your prepaid no for a charge of 100 bucks. (On CC I was already told that only Rs 25 is the charge for a sim exchange.) But he knew I was in a dire need so he said either 100 or no sim.
I paid him, came home happily and straightway sent email to nodal officer explaining everything I went through & with his complete details--name, gallery location etc.
I instantly received a very positive response + 150 rs talk-time as compensation.

I dont know what happened to that guy but I was glad to get such a good but instant service from docomos higher authority.

PS: Always talk/chat first to customer care on phone that too twice or more to get an idea & double confirmation about everything and then head confidently towards gallery for your purchase. You are less likely to get cheated as you already have the first hand info.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used an airtel locked WD670 mifi with a pre paid sim. worked without any issues for months.
And I purchased this mifi from someone else for 500.

tomorrow I'll reach home.
will try my airtel prepaid in same mifi and update here.
till then no bad words for airtel.
you can curse their customer care anytime, though.

What's the deal with that? When prepaid gives 1.5gb for 149? Is it supposed to be some kind of preview/promotional thing?

Before Jio, postpaid always had better bundled benefits.

Back