Storage Solutions Unstable sector in laptop hdd

anfjavid

Skilled
hello guys, today i came to know that my hdd has unstable sectors through HDD tune. its a WD 250gb hdd in my MSI cr400 lappy. Plz tell me whether i have to RMA my hdd guys. Is my HDD likely to develop bad sectors or has already developed ??. Sometime back i checked for bad sectors with HD tune but it was fine. Will perform a test and report back, but even if it doesnt report any bad sectors is it advisable to RMA my HDD ?? Plz reply guys....

here is the screen of HD tune test...

Yfrog Image : yfrog.com/euhdtunehealthwdcwd2500bep

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8405/hdtunehealthwdcwd2500be.png

@anfjavid: is it the hdd that came along with ur laptop or did you install it later ? If its the one that came with the laptop then u have to go via MSI to get this fixed. I hope your laptop is in the warranty period for the same. If it was bought separately and installed then u can follow the normal WD RMA procedure where u need to schedule a pickup of the hdd and then u will be shipped back the replaced hdd.

p.s. please backup your data and leave the tests for later.

@the techmind - Thanx for your immediate response... The lappy is within warranty and the hdd is the one which came with the lappy. Is the hdd status critical ??. Now the bad sector test is in progress with HD tune. If it fails to show any bad sectors is there any other alternate utility which can give the exact position of the hdd ???. Is HD tune 100% reliable ??.

If it fails to show bad sectors, then how to make the MSI guys believe that HDD is going to get bad sectors in the near future ??. Will they consider HD tune for this ?? . I heard that these guys will have their own diagonostic tools to determine all these issues... Plz help...

finally, hd tune's prediction is correct... Hdd has one bad sector.. so have to rma it. When contacted msi, they told that they will imm. Replace hdd when bad sector is found. So ran chkdsk and marked the sector as bad...

They have given me a toshiba 2546gsx hdd in replacement of the WD scorpion blue which came with the lappy. Is this hdd better than my previous WD hdd ?. Plz comment on this guys...

Back