Unusual flight journey duration.

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
So I was looking up at flight tickets online and something really shocked and confused me.

From my location to Delhi there are two options:
1. ~6hrs20 mins
2. ~4hrs30 mins

This is for Indigo and via Guwahati. (Some AirIndia even have 32hrs of journey time WTF!). There is no "direct" flight without stopping anywhere but this is normal.

Just FYI the standard duration is 3-4hrs max. or at least it used to be.
So any idea what changed? I've never known about this 6hrs flight duration. This like IMF-BANGALORE journey lol. So messed up. Headache.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180211-201423~2.png
    Screenshot_20180211-201423~2.png
    143.9 KB · Views: 156
Yes and it stops at GHY. But the 6hrs journey duration is the thing which confuses me. I've never heard of this one before. I wonder if you have to get down at GHY and take another connecting flight or something. Also I would understand if the higher ticket cost is because the flight is scheduled at noon time (late flight time have higher cost). The 6hrs flight with the lower ticket cost also happens to be the first morning flight so it gets more confusing to me.
Of course I would get the 4hrs flight without a doubt but I'm genuinely curious about the whole 6hrs thing.

The last flight in the attached pic would be stopping at GAU(Guwahati) followed by CCU(Kolkata) and then take you to Delhi.
Obviously, you got to wait for 2 different flights on the way.

Whichever app you are using, you should get an option of flight details where you can check the itinerary of each connecting flight.

The duration is inclusive of the stopover times. As Arv90 says, you should be able to check flight details.

Here's an example below. The 4 hr flights are 'through' flights, i.e. the plane stops for 30 minutes, picks up more passengers and carries on. The 6 hr and above flights are connecting flights, where you disembark and board another plane which will have its own schedule :-

View attachment 73773

So basically all 6hrs flights (or the duration longer than the standard one, in this case 4hrs) are connecting flights? Damn that sucks. Not a fan of connecting flights. >_>
And thanks for the explanation everybody.

So basically all 6hrs flights (or the duration longer than the standard one, in this case 4hrs) are connecting flights? Damn that sucks. Not a fan of connecting flights. >_>
And thanks for the explanation everybody.

The correct terminology would be as follows:
If it's a same flight number (common flight number) then it's called a "through flight". Airlines do this in order to sell a 1 stop market as a pseudo non stop market when they don't have a non stop flight serving the 2 cities. Mostly in such cases, the same aircraft will continue onwards and there will be no change of aircraft involved for passengers transiting onwards at the transit airport.

A connecting flight is usually one where the flight numbers change at the transit airport. When it's the same carrier involved, the connection is called "online" connection.

These techniques came in with the advent of CRS/GDS systems and were all means available to airlines in order to "gain" screen presence and therefore more traffic.

The times you see is the entire itinerary time.

Another question, up to how much amount of money (in cash) are we allowed to carry? Is there any limit? ( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

Another question, up to how much amount of money (in cash) are we allowed to carry? Is there any limit? ( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)
Domestic = nobody cares.
International = customs limits apply. the latest ones are on the customs website

I understand that there's a limit on International travels but are you sure about the domestic one? Any source?

No source. Never been troubled. You can carry large amounts on your personal self as long as you can explain the source of the funds. I've carried around a lac myself without any issues. There are many reasons you'd require to do so.. not a big deal if it's accountable.

Obviously I speak from my own experience

Back