Unusual worse exp today...dealing with massive loss!

nRiTeCh

Skilled
I was supposed to record an international corporate training today which was mandate for few of us. The online training was for 9 hours.

Bad thing, we have to attend the meeting plus come to office and do our shifts so 18 hours strenuous task!
Hence took the lead to record the meeting so we wont miss out on anything and study it later on and prepare the required documents etc.

Used my trusted ApowerRec screenrecorder tool.

Initially when I was at home I tested recording 1hr or so and all went good. When I left for the day I started the recording to capture the rest 8 hours.
(monitors turned off, power plan is always set to high performance with sleep/standby/hard disk etc all things set to zero so that in between the pc wont go into such unusual states)
1tb space was available for the recording and for 1 hr it recorded approx 450mb mp4 file so estimated for next 8 hrs was around 3.6gb. Space on C drive was also 52gb free so no question of temp dir getting full.

In short, all was foolproof and perfectly executed.

Came home delightfully, turned on the monitors and there was no display signal and monitor leds orange.:oops:

System wasnt hung as keyboard leds were working fine, tried accessing shared system files via phones file explorer and all was good.
Installed remote desktop tool on phone and tried accessing pc but it gave error 0x10 (extended)

I didnt wanted to reboot system at any cost as the recording was surely On and I wanted to stop it so as to have save it.
After trying all bits and pieces finally had to reboot pc and it gave display properly and rebooted just normally to desktop.:banghead::arghh:

Immediately went into Event log and found these dozens of issues occurring multiple times.:blackeye:
Application logs:

Error 19-12-2019 8.16.46 PM Application Error 1000 (100)
Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.18362.387, time stamp: 0x8e064b77
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xe0464645
Fault offset: 0x0000000000000000
Faulting process id: 0x23d4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5b6619e1d9cc3
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwm.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: e6e720d9-b1ed-4f43-8049-dd83ce4faf1f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Warning 19-12-2019 8.10.05 PM Dwminit 0 None
The Desktop Window Manager process has exited. (Process exit code: 0x000000ff, Restart count: 1, Primary display device ID: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690)

System logs:

Warning 19-12-2019 5.14.06 PM Display 4101 None
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Dont know if the recent bullllshit windows update caused these issues or its just the nvidia shitt drivers to be blamed which I updated last month. (earlier was on 2 yr old drivers hence though of an update) :arghh:

EOD its a very huge loss for us!! :mad: :oops: :banghead:

My precious 14hrs went into vain, all efforts wasted, loss of electricity, mental piece and knowledge.--- Dealing with a Massive Loss!!!

:( :blackeye:

I have more of such future trainings to come so now dont know which homely technology to trust.

When I left for the day I started the recording to capture the rest 8 hours.

I don't care what people say about aritifical intelligence but this here is proof that machines cannot be left unattended when a critical job is to be completed.

Let that be a lesson to remember

This is the definition of experience

Now you will be able to avoid more expensive mistakes in the future :)

Last edited:
System logs:

Warning 19-12-2019 5.14.06 PM Display 4101 None
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Dont know if the recent bullllshit windows update caused these issues or its just the nvidia shitt drivers to be blamed which I updated last month. (earlier was on 2 yr old drivers hence though of an update):arghh:

I have more of such future trainings to come so now dont know which homely technology to trust.

NVIDIA driver crashed. I think your GPU is not very stable or about to die. Are either your CPU or GPU overclocked? If so, there is the culprit.

That might be a Window update issue.
I faced this a lot of times with my headless PC which I access via remote connection.
After 3-4 hours the remote connection would conk out with the same dwm.exe issue. When I tried reconnecting immediately I always got the error that Logon process is not working and then after 2-3 mins it would work again.
I faced this issue everyday on Build 1903 which was a inplace upgrade from the 1803 build.
After I have updated to Build 1909 this issue has gone away.
I have a Intel J4205 Atom CPU on this PC and I did multiple DDU uninstallations and reinstallations of the latest Intel drivers so I can't really blame the GPU which is what most online articles on this dwm.exe error seemed to suggest.

I think when you tried the remote connection the process conked out as there most probably was some sort of conflict between the screen recorder and the Windows Desktop Manager.

Nonetheless theres not much you can do right now.

BTW the GTX690 which is darn old might be a problem as well.

Probably GPU or CPU overheating issue. Can you run a temperature monitor which will log temperature recording at regular intervals so that you can later see what's going on?
Post automatically merged:

Is this a laptop or desktop? Check for cleanliness (any dust blocking vents or clogging the fans etc)?

@Marcus Fenix @Chaos Just that my gpu is old doesn't mean he is he culprit.
The beast has been serving me very faithfully and even running modern games with zero hiccups.

Anyways, as mentioned the nvidia update last month and the major windows update might be the culprit.
Googled and found few people facing similar dwm, nvd etc. issues.

I might need to experiment in 4 ways:
Using onboard Intel GPU: Dual monitors setup: Vga and Hdmi
Case 1: Keeping both monitors on and record for straight 3hrs.

Case 2: Same repeat with both monitors turned off.

Case 3 & 4: And same both tasks repeated on nVidia as well.

Perform this on current windows updates and nvidia drivers.

If any issues, the uninstall and rollback to earlier drivers which I'm not sure what ver. was it.

Extremely tedious task killing my complete weekend.

@blr_p Mate I agree but what in such scenarios when you are alone and have to perform two major tasks at two different physical locations?

I think next time I will install teamviewer both on phone and pc and keep operating pc from phone from my office to keep a track!

@Marcus Fenix @Chaos Just that my gpu is old doesn't mean he is he culprit.
The beast has been serving me very faithfully and even running modern games with zero hiccups.

Anyways, as mentioned the nvidia update last month and the major windows update might be the culprit.
Googled and found few people facing similar dwm, nvd etc. issues.

I might need to experiment in 4 ways:
Using onboard Intel GPU: Dual monitors setup: Vga and Hdmi
Case 1: Keeping both monitors on and record for straight 3hrs.

Case 2: Same repeat with both monitors turned off.

Case 3 & 4: And same both tasks repeated on nVidia as well.

Perform this on current windows updates and nvidia drivers.

If any issues, the uninstall and rollback to earlier drivers which I'm not sure what ver. was it.

Extremely tedious task killing my complete weekend.

@blr_p Mate I agree but what in such scenarios when you are alone and have to perform two major tasks at two different physical locations?

I think next time I will install teamviewer both on phone and pc and keep operating pc from phone from my office to keep a track!
Buddy you might be a victim of hacker attack I think.
It happened last to me to my Steam account.

SO I tested today by leaving my pc on but on idle desktop for 6 hrs straight while turning off both the monitors, locking my a/c and the event logs came clean on every factor---zero errors!
So seems only when some software runs in background for recording or similar audio/video purpose may be then such errors happen. Need to check this.

Is the content DRM'D? If not, have you tried to copy the stream through VLC to disk directly?
Seems you didnt get my query. I was trying to record a 9hrs training meeting. So no question of drm or anything illegal here.
We even asked the host to share meeting recordings but he said as per Microsoft policy they cannot circulate but the participants are free to record such trainings at their own will.

Back