Budget 71-90K Upgrade advice needed

Hi,

Following up on this thread,

SO i jumped the gun and got below hardware

Ryzen 2700 @4ghz (h100x for cooling) - THis was avail for cheap and looked good as a stop gap. But at 4ghz it packs a good punch.
Kingston 3200mhz cl16 kit - 32gb
Msi B450m Mortar Max(Thermaltake core v20 vt so no Tomahawk :( )
Sabrent rocket Q 2tb nvme(as it was priced same as 1tb's with similar performance)
Gpu gtx 1070
Monitor 1080p(60hz)

SO my question is i want to play 4k @60hz so will it be wise to buy the 8 core 16 threads zen 3 as soon as it releases or save up for new monitor and stabilized 3080 prices ?

I know the answer mostly the upgraded cpu will allow me 20% or so more performance on avg from the leaks and talks i could gather that much. But the 30k i save could help me maybe get a better gpu couple of months down the line to bridge the gap.

Suggestions and opinions welcome...Please help me decide :) I wont be looking at the hardware or think of upgrading atleast 3years post this.

Last edited:
Yea that's one thing I will be waiting for...however the question is will 4700x make a difference over 2700 at 4k ? I will save good money if I skip this and maybe get a more beefy gpu..

look xbox has been announced & two hours ago ps 5 has been annoiunced for nov 19 ,if they efficiently use multicore efficiently than hurrah ,that will trickle down onto PC ,flight simulator 2020 also rolled out a patch to use all cores of CPu efficiently DX12 games & vulkan were desgined to use all the cores available that will give a good bump in performance.

i dont know what do you mean by Beefy processor , for me higher clocks ,higher IPC would give good fps ,but there are some games where IPC doesnt matter or the games are well optimized for clocks as well as core.

let the launch happen check the difference between 3 gen 4000 or 5000 series .than decide.

Agreed...at 4k it's mostly the gpu doing the work...only some games would benefit a few percent from higher ipc and clocks when comparing ryzen CPUs..I checked and found even 1700 running at good clocks will work ok at 4k.

Sure I have decided to stick with the 2700 for now and upgrade the monitor/gpu as soon as market stabilizes.

I would say your GPU has come of age, it will be the prime workhorse when it comes to gaming. i have a r7 2700 and a 2060 super. im content with my config, but Jensen himself said in the 30 series reveal and i quote.. "my pascal friends, its safe to upgrade" :)
the current ampere architecture is a game changer indeed. but proceed with caution as variants like 3060 and the Tis etc. will be better value depending on your budget and your willingness to wait till about next year feb.

Back