Budget 31-40k Upgrade Advice (open for used components)

mk76

Adept
Sister's pc need an upgrade. Pls help me with the choice of components.
Preference
- M-ITX build
- onboard graphics
- onboard wifi if feasible

1. What is your budget?
    • 25-30K for CPU, Mobo, RAM 5K for SSD,
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel E8400
    • Motherboard - Gigabyte compatible .. (don't remember the model)
    • GPU - On Board
    • RAM - Corsair DominatorXMS 2x2GB
    • Monitor - Dell ST22
    • PSU - Corsair VS450
    • Cabinet - CM K380
    • HDD - 500GB + 2X1TB WD Greens
    • (please mention the rest in above format)
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Dell ST22
    • Keyb/Mouse
    • HDDs
    • Cabinet
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel or AMD
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard .. Mini ITX if possible
    • RAM - 8 or 16GB
    • SSD - for boot
    • PSU - If it need upgrade
    • GPU - On Board
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Monitor 24-27"
    • Cabinet - if required
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Delhi
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • For kids in middle and senior school
    • Office
    • Photoshop
    • Scratch / Logo
    • Python
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Preference is durabilty as it won't be easy to RMA every now and then
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • On-board should suffice
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10 x64

5K for SSD

SSD: Samsung 860 EVo 250GB
It's exactly 5K on onlyssd.com[DOUBLEPOST=1537760478][/DOUBLEPOST]
25-30K for CPU, Mobo, RAM

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G - 12.5K
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4 3000MHz - ~5700

But I could not find good motherboard to pair with this in my quick searches. Only result was MSI B450 series but generally I do not suggest to go for MSI because of patchy after sales service.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Agree with you. Ryzen 2400G is a good overall solution for next few years. But my past experience with AMD has not been good. The last time I had AMD .. Phenom II X4 955 BE .. i faced a lot of challenge to find compatible motherboard once the original one died (after 4+ years). I'm not sure if I would faced same issue with Intel owing to the time gap.

MSI would be the last thing I would go for. MD has asus B450m https://mdcomputers.in/asus-prime-b450m-a.html

Besides, I remember long ago reading about memory compatibility issue with Ryzen .. but totally out of loop. Any idea if any precautions are required.

i faced a lot of challenge to find compatible motherboard once the original one died (after 4+ years). I'm not sure if I would faced same issue with Intel owing to the time gap.
To best of my knowledge, AM4 socket would be good till 2020 atleast. In contrast, Intel switches sockets often compared to AMD, making older mobo's difficult to source.

This is mATX motherboard. You want Mini-ITX one right?

This is mATX motherboard. You want Mini-ITX one right?
Oh yes . You are right. I'm interested in mini-ITX as K380 seems to have less housing capacity. However looks like there aren't too many options in mini-ITX for AM4. What would you suggest in mATX ?

I'm interested in mini-ITX as K380 seems to have less housing capacity.

From specs sheet, it even supports regular ATX board fine. Am I missing anything while reading ? :what?:

What would you suggest in mATX ?

I think you can consider Gigabyte B450M DS3H. Costs roughly 7K online. If you want Asus, one which you have linked in posts before is good enough.

Also please note that, if possible visit offline stores for quotes on parts. Many times it will be quite cheaper offline.

From specs sheet, it even supports regular ATX board fine. Am I missing anything while reading ? :what?:
Not in terms of specs. I know it's a mid tower . But I felt that while setting up last time. E8400 + Hyper TX3 + 3 hdds .. made it a bit cramped up as compared to CM Elite 430 which I had that time and was 'bit' bigger than K380.

Both Gigabyte and Asus are good for me. Inclinde towards Asus as the service center is few kms nearer than Gigabyte from my place. Also Asus one has 6 SATA ports which will help in future expansion.

Posting a bit late. The build is ready and deployed.
There were few changes owing to parts availability and few going kaput in old rig. These pushed the budget.

Upgraded components ->
  • Ryzen 5 2400G
  • MSI Tomahawk B450 - For covered VRM, durability
  • Tridentz RGB 2x8G running at XMP1 2933 MHz - 1 year old used at price of regular 3200 Gskill
  • Cooler Master V650 - better safe than sorry
  • Samsung 860 500G - Old HDD went kaput
  • 2xCM 120 Master RGB fans - Last min demand by the kids to have some lights

Rest of the components include 2x1TB HDD . 1x500G HDD , 2 120mm fans, CM Elite 430 Cabinet
  • Didn't realize this is an ATX board. Is a tight fit in the cabinet along with 1 SSD and 3 HDD. Thank god no GPU.
  • Even though airflow is ok with 2 exhaust and 2 inflow fans , still it's a stuffing build. May be upgrade to a full tower in future
  • System is running blazing fast
  • 6-10 sec POST to boot time

Many thanks for the inputs that helped me decide the components.

Back