Upgrade from Galaxy S (Low on budget, ~17k)

Rahul++

SuperUser
Skilled
Hello, After using Samsung Galaxy S like a toy for around 2 years (Thanks a lot my loving SGS for teaching me Android development, ROM creation. You also helped me to earn a lot of money :p). Finally my SGS decided to retire (Camera, Wifi doesn't work anymore.. Confirmed, that's h/w a problem). I am going to purchase a new Smartphone in the upcoming couple of days. I am extremely low on budget :(

1. Q: Budget?
A: 17k - 18k Max

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: TFT, IPS, anything which is SHARP and bright :)

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Samsung, HTC, Sony.. No such dislikes.. It should have good community support.

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: 5MP will suffice, Flash is not that necessary

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android Only.

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G, 2G, Wifi

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc.)?
A: Internet, Mails, Social Networking, Messaging, Moderate Gaming

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: It should have good community support (Custom ROM and stuff). Should be future proof for like 1-1.5 year.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Sony Xperia Sola..

Can't stretch my budget more than 18k.

Either One V or Sola.

One V has ICS out of the box currently and the screen is a bit better than Sola. But on the flip side, you won't feel much of an improvement in terms of speed as it is a single core device like your Galaxy S.

And since you mentioned you can't stretch your budget any further, I guess the Sola it is then!.

Well the OP was using a SGS.. so I don't think he has a problem with plasticky body ;)

Earlier I was too panicky about buying secondhand phones, but now I always prefer secondhand phones.. that's just because the market value of these thing fall like anything... I learn't my lesson when I bought the Nokia 5800 for 22k+ and within 4-5 months the MRP fell down to 12k and secondhand prices fell to 8k and below :(

Now all my last 4 phones have all been secondhand purchases (two from the grey market itself) and I've not faced any problems...

Prices fall because phone manufacturers introduce newer models and burn their own market share (Ex. S3 introduced when Note was doing very good, now they are launching Note 2)
If you consider the pricing point, buy an iphone, it'll be stable for longer period of time.

I can understand the price of Nokia 5800, I remember when Nokia 9500 launched it was crazy 30k!, now even at 3k its very hard to sell.

Someone should invent a time machine and the thread OP should go into 2090 and get a Samsung Galaxy S IV-II-Zero Model.

I suggest HTC because it runs very smooth on custom roms, samsung tends to get tired, and the feeling of holding a HTC in hand is much superior to holding any samsung (Visit any local shop and hold the 2 phones if you can :p)

P.S. - Neville, the best bet today is buying 1k-2k phones, even if they become zero it won't burn your heart that much, I may do this someday

You can grab the Sola from here: Ebay Xperia Sola
The only thing it may lack is custom ROMs, no guarantee of that.

But IMHO, this is your best bet :
LG P990 Optimus 2X Smart Phone
It is the same seller as the one above selling the Sola on ebay (with 98.7% positive feedback)
Nothing comes close to this in this price range, large number of custom ROMs(getting Jelly Bean ROM soon :) ), excellent camera, excellent performance, and a bunch of users like me to help you out anytime you have a problem :)
Only this will seem like an upgrade to you, even the Sola will seem like a downgrade (except processor, all SGS beats it in all other depts like screen, battery life, cam, custom ROMs etc.)
(I dont know the seller/site, just saw the pages to link it)

Prices fall because phone manufacturers introduce newer models and burn their own market share (Ex. S3 introduced when Note was doing very good, now they are launching Note 2) - i mean prices fall the second you by a new phone... the price drop is too much even for a two day old phone

If you consider the pricing point, buy an iphone, it'll be stable for longer period of time. - naahh... I'm better off without 40k worth of iCrap ;)

I suggest HTC because it runs very smooth on custom roms, samsung tends to get tired, and the feeling of holding a HTC in hand is much superior to holding any samsung (Visit any local shop and hold the 2 phones if you can :p) - I've used HTC as well as Samsung.. and Nokia, and Apple, and Motorola... i ain't fanboy of any brand or their marketing manager... so I ain't bragging about any brand

P.S. - Neville, the best bet today is buying 1k-2k phones, even if they become zero it won't burn your heart that much, I may do this someday -damm!! I did that... even cheap phones are not thief proof... got flicked from my own home!! I'm guessing it was the maid! :annoyed:

The prices fall because companies keep launching new models every hour hence depreciating the value of existing models.
Even I aint a fanboy of HTC but I know their phones run smooth on custom firmwares :p (Have used Alcatel, Moto, Nokia, Samsung, Lobster, HP, Imate, Apple, BB, HTC in college days, phones used to be real tough then, unlike todays phone which get a heart attack or a fever with a 10-20 minute use)

As for flicking the phone, the maid or whoever it was will have to answer someone someday, leave it on karma :)

jVnno.jpg

Anyways, is Sola the only option for me? :/ Or should I wait for sometime. I have Samsung Duos phone (cheapo 1.3k phone) as of now. I really loved Sola but I am not sure if it will get good amount of community developed ROMs or not :( since it is not a flagship phone.

Htc One V mate, HTC has a SOLID and dedicated custom ROM community, not really sure about Sola if custom guys have a plan to cook it or not, as of now it has very little customizations. (The only oomph factor is that color changing band, the design actually turns me off, but maybe just me).
Your call.
Whatever you buy, do note that the stock rom is stupid.

Lol, its like buying a Maruti 800 in 2012 because it is quite old but capable :p
Seriously bro if you are looking for a brand that has heavy custom ROM support it has to be either Sammy or HTC.

You are totally wrong bro. Its better to say "buying a BMW of 2011 in 2012", because Maruti 800 is entry level, always was and still is. But the O2x still has one of the best hardware set, offers really high value for money
(flat-out the best below ~23k).
As for custom ROMs, this phone has enough custom ROMs to put most Sammy and HTC phones to shame :p

Check out screenies of my phone running MIUI v4 (ICS) here:
LG Optimus 2x thread

I know this because i OWN this phone and have used tons of awesome custom ROMs, and dont comment without having even the slightest knowledge :annoyed: . Others who havent experienced the phone may believe you, but you will get caught when a real user like me sees this.
If i was given 20k refund to buy a phone today, i'd still buy the O2x again :yahoo:

Wow, how stupid I am. I missed Galaxy Nexus. How is it compared to Sony Xperia Sola and other competitors. I will try to extend my budget a bit. But is it really worth an upgrade? What is the cheapest price I can grab it for?

Edit - It doesn't have Wolfson DAC :( I can't live without Voodoo Sound stuff :-|

Back