Budget 31-40k Upgrade suggestion please

src2206

Adept
Hello friends

I need to upgrade my system and would like to future proof it as much as possible (components are rather costly, so I can not afford to change my system in every 4~5 years).

My requirements are as follows:

1. General PC usage

2. Extensive use for editing Photos and Videos (I am a professional photographer). So I use resource heavy software like Ps, Lr etc.

3. Gaming - very rare

4. Movie watching

My present system is as follows:

1. Intel Core2Duo 1.8GHz+ASUS P5B-VM MB+CoolerMaster Processor Fan
2. HDDs- 1 IDE (80GB), 3 SATAII (160GB, 250GB, 500GB), 1 SATAIII (1TB)
3. 5GB DDR2 RAM (1+1+1+2)
4. XFX HD4700 ATi GPU with 512MB DDR5 RAM
5. SMPS- 460W Dual rail power supply (CoolerMaster)
6. LG 25" IPS monitor
7. JBL speakers

I intend to retain the Monitor, SMPS, Speakers and HDDs for sure. Though I may have to ditch the IDE one, as it seems newer MBs do not incorporate IDE ports. I am not so sure about the Graphics card, whether to keep it or not.

My budget is not unlimited.

Please suggest a system for me.

Is it mandatory to reinstall the OS (and hence all the software) if I upgrade the system? Even when I am retaining my OS containing HDD? It would be much easier for me to get rid of the old drivers and install the new ones rather than installing the software as the software are customized for my work and re-customization after new install would be nothing less than a horrible nightmare, not to mention time consuming. Presently I use Windows 7.

Thank you in advance.
smile.gif

Budget -32k

1. Intel Core i3 6100 -9100,
2. Gigabyte H110M-S2 -5000,
3. Corsair Vengeance 8GB 2400Mhz DDR4 -2500,
4. Zotac GTX750Ti 2GB -9000,
5. Antec VP450P -2200,
6. Antec GX200 -2700.
7. Logitech MK200 -800.
TOTAL -31,300.

It is possible to just put the old HDD in a new motherboard and have it working, but it's not advisable.
If your old HDD is installed on the IDE, then it's not possible.

Uninstall all the old drivers from add/remove programs, and then go to device manager and remove all the devices completely.
It may work, or you may have to spend hours troubleshooting, and you'll have to re-activate windows.
Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

I don't think you need a discrete graphics card for your usage.
I'd buy at least 8GB RAM and you should increase that to 16GB if you can , and get a 240GB SSD along with that. It'll save you a lot of time.

I'm not sure if your PSU needs to be changed. Check the voltages using open hardware monitor/core temp, or some other utility. If they're at the correct levels, and steady under load, then keep it. An SMPS's safe output will lower over time, but if your system draws only 200w, then your 400w Cooler Master should still supply more than enough power.
I don't have advice on what CPU/motherboard to buy as I'm a bit out of touch with the market.

Ok, but why?

First of all, PSU is the heart of any PC. Looking at specs of your system, I assume it is about 6 years old system with PSU being Cooler Master Extreme 460W, correct me if I guessed wrong model number (I remember this model number as back in 2008 I too used that PSU :p). It would already be time, that PSU has aged out. Most times, PSU is one time purchase unlike RAM or graphic card which one cam upgrade later again. Also a good PSU can be termed as an insurance, in a way, for your system.

You can try migrating your os and software with acronis true image, it has an option of restoring image to non similar hardware, however you will have to activate Windows again as your mobo is changing, also try and trim down hardware before migrating, have not personally tried it but u can always format and reinstall in your new system if it does not work out

First of all, PSU is the heart of any PC. Looking at specs of your system, I assume it is about 6 years old system with PSU being Cooler Master Extreme 460W, correct me if I guessed wrong model number (I remember this model number as back in 2008 I too used that PSU :p). It would already be time, that PSU has aged out. Most times, PSU is one time purchase unlike RAM or graphic card which one cam upgrade later again. Also a good PSU can be termed as an insurance, in a way, for your system.

No, you guessed right indeed! I understand your point, thanks for clarifying.
How about going for AMD system instead of Intel? Won't that be more cost effective? If i can remember right the Octa cored or Hexa cores from AMD are better than i3- correct me if I am wrong.

You can try migrating your os and software with acronis true image, it has an option of restoring image to non similar hardware, however you will have to activate Windows again as your mobo is changing, also try and trim down hardware before migrating, have not personally tried it but u can always format and reinstall in your new system if it does not work out

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll surely explore this possibility and f I am successful, I'll let you all know.

They look excellent on paper, but when it comes to performance in most cases Intel excels. Those Octa core is sure better for your video editing, but that costs more. In that case, I find i5 better with a bit of a compromise on that video editing part. But your budget doesn't allow that. With 20k, even Pentium can't fit. Do some research and decide, whether it's worth spending more for i5 or not.

I don't know from where you got the quotation for this build. If I am guessing right, this could cost around 35-40k in India. I assume you're from India?
And I am not sure if you can get some of these components in India.

I don't know from where you got the quotation for this build. If I am guessing right, this could cost around 35-40k in India. I assume you're from India?
And I am not sure if you can get some of these components in India.

Well, I am from India :)

Actually, I posted the above configuration just as an example that I am ready to go for AMD system provided that gives me a better permanence-price ratio. So, if you could suggest any AMD system which will be better than the i3 system, I shall be happy to consider that too.
For example AMD 8320E or A10 7860K cost online about 11k, almost same as i3. Actually, I do not have the liberty of changing my system in every 5 years and that would bring a slew of logistics problems for me. That is why I clearly mentioned my requirement and I have also stated that I am ready to be flexible with my budget (I have changed the thread title too) to make it as future proof as possible. :)

Last edited:
Yes, FX83xx is better for video editing and rendering. If you give more weightage to that, go ahead with FX8xxx. For every other purpose i5 is better. Both i5 and FX8xxx will cost about the same. Though FX has more cores, single core strength of i5 is much better. Personally, my choice would i5 over FX8xxx, so the suggestion of going for i5 over FX8xxx.

Not just that, FX doesn't have good upgradability, runs hotter, consume more power, older and you can run i5 without discrete graphic and in fact it's iGPU is better than your existing GPU.

i5 4460 13950
ASUS B85M G 5750
Kingston Hyper X 5400
Seasonic S12 II Bronze 430 4500
Cabinet 2500

TOTAL 32100

FX 8350 13860
GA-970A-DS3 6300
Kingston Hyper X 5400
Cabinet 2500

TOTAL 32560
Postpone your purchase of discrete graphic, as there could be price cut in few months. The PSU suggested is good enough upto GTX 960. You may need after market cooler if your video rendering takes lot of time esp. with FX.

FYI, i5 6th cost 3k more. I feel it's worth the extra.

Yes, FX83xx is better for video editing and rendering. If you give more weightage to that, go ahead with FX8xxx. For every other

FYI, i5 6th cost 3k more. I feel it's worth the extra.

Thank you for your suggestion.
Regarding the components, if I understood correctly, the RAM modules are DDR4, isn't it? Correct me if I am wrong. Which RAM size should I opt for? Can you suggest any other board but ASUS? That is one brand I stay very far away from. Is there anything from Gigabyte?

Regarding the graphics card, can I use the old one in my new system? Actually, I am planning to sell my old MB and CPU (and other components), so if including my old GPU with that increases the overall resale price, I would do that.

Sorry for not clearly mentioning that. Both the suggested build are DDR3 compatible. If you go for 6th Gen Intel, then DDR4.
Suggested capacity was 8GB x 2, total of 16GB.
The Intel suggested in the previous post, you can go for GA-B85M-D3H instead of ASUS.
If you're opting for the AMD build, you'll need a graphic card. So selling it, is not a wise choice, esp if you're buying a new GPU after few months. With Intel you can sell the graphic, but the suggested processor's (4th gen) iGPU is not as good as your HD47xx. Since I am not sure which build you're talking about,

i5 4460 13950
ASUS B85M G 5750 Gigabyte B85 D3H - 5950
Kingston Hyper X DDR3 2x8GB 5400 (If you can find Corsair Vengeance or G Skill Ripjaws for the same price, you can go for that)
Cabinet 2500 (Any ATX cabinet of your choice/likings, just make sure it's big enough for your future graphic card and possible need of after market cooler)

TOTAL 32300

FX 8350 13860
GA-970A-DS3 6300
Kingston Hyper X DDR3 2x8GB 5400 (If you can find Corsair Vengeance or G Skill Ripjaws for the same price, you can go for that)
Cabinet 2500 (Any ATX cabinet of your choice/likings, just make sure it's big enough for your future graphic card and possible need of after market cooler)

TOTAL 32560

i5 6500 - 15000
Gigabyte B150M-D3H - 7550
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2x8GB 5400 (If you can find Kingston Hyper X or G Skill Ripjaws for the same price, you can go for that)

TOTAL 35150

Back