Budget 41-50k Upgrade suggestion

src2206

Adept
Please note, I have posted the following request about a year back and I was more or less, unanimously advised to wait for AMD Ryzen launch. As the CPU is launched in the market, I am posting my request again for kind help from my fellow members. Thank you in advance.

I need help in buying/building a new PC. My budget and requirements are as follows:

Budget: INR 40K~50K (actually, I have to source everything locally, so global online buying sites won't work)

Existing hardware setup:

1. Intel Core2Duo 1.8GHz+ASUS P5B-VM MB+CoolerMaster Processor Fan

2. HDDs- 1 IDE (80GB), 3 SATAII (160GB, 250GB, 500GB), 1 SATAIII (1TB), LG DVD writer

3. 5GB DDR2 RAM (1+1+1+2)

4. XFX HD4700 ATi GPU with 512MB DDR5 RAM

5. SMPS- 460W Dual rail power supply (CoolerMaster)

6. LG 25" IPS monitor

7. JBL speaker

Components from the existing setup that you intend to keep: Monitor, SMPS, Speakers, DVD writer, Keyboard, mouse and HDDs

Components that you have in mind for your new PC: Graphics card

Plans to upgrade in the future: no, I like to make it future proof, as much as possible.

Places from where you will buy components along with your location: Kolkata

Are you comfortable with buying secondhand components? : No

The intended use of the PC [gaming/office use/rendering/HD playback etc] :

1. General PC usage

2. Extensive use of editing Photos and Videos (I am a professional photographer). So I use resource heavy software like Ps, Lr etc.

3. Gaming - very rare

4. Movie watching

Brand preferences: anything but ASUS, Gigabyte is one of the preferred brands

Monitor resolution and size: do not need one

Will you be overclocking your setup?: absolutely NOT

Which OS will you use?: Windows 10

I already have an i5 laptop (HP 15-ay503TX Laptop [6th Gen Intel Core i5- 8GB RAM- 39.62cm(15.6) Full HD- 1TB HDD- 2GB Graphics], but even this is not that fast while processing my RAW files.

I thinking about at least 32GB RAM, a good Graphics Card and Intel Core i7/AMD Ryzen (though I have no idea about this processor as it is very new) processor. I can not compromise on processing power as that would mean longer processing time for each RAW file that I need to edit. So actually, I need a "lightning fast" PC.
smile.gif

I intend to retain the Monitor, Speakers and HDDs for sure. Though I may have to ditch the IDE one, as it seems newer MBs do not incorporate IDE ports. I am not so sure about the Graphics card, whether to keep it or not.

Thank you

Budget -47.3K

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G -12900,
MSI B350M-Pro VDH -6300,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB(8GBx2) DDR4 3000MHz -14400,
Corsair CX 550 -4500,
Antec GX200 -3000,
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD -6200.

Total -47,300.
All prices are taken from mdcomputers.in

Budget -47.3K

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G -12900,
MSI B350M-Pro VDH -6300,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB(8GBx2) DDR4 3000MHz -14400,
Corsair CX 550 -4500,
Antec GX200 -3000,
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD -6200.

Total -47,300.
All prices are taken from mdcomputers.in

He has CM psu and cabinet. I guess you can use that 7500 for ram or something else like 3TB hdd.

Thank you for your replies.

I was wondering whether I should go for Intel i7, 8th Generation considering that the photo editing software performs better with high clock speed processor- at least that what I found on the internet, though I am not sure how correct is that.

Regarding Ryzen 2400G, it seems that Ryzen 1600 performs better!

Regarding 32GB RAM, I would happily settle for 16 GB for now, but in that case won't it be better to use a single 16GB Stick?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies.

I was wondering whether I should go for Intel i7, 8th Generation considering that the photo editing software performs better with high clock speed processor- at least that what I found on the internet, though I am not sure how correct is that.

Regarding 32GB RAM, I would happily settle for 16 GB for now, but in that case won't it be better to use a single 16GB Stick?

Thanks again.
Single 16 now and adding 16 later...will you get dual channel ?

For your use case, I think you should go for CL i7 or Ryzen 7 or even Ryzen 5, but nothing below that. If you do go Ryzen route, you will need a graphics card also. So, check to see which is cheaper for you from your source:

1) i7 8700/i5 8600/i5 8500 + motherboard + 16GB RAM + SSD
2) Ryzen 5 2600/1600 or Ryzen 7 1700/2700 + motherboard + 16GB RAM +SSD + entry level graphics card (such as GT 1030)

Ryzen 2200g/2400g are probably not for you as they have only 4 CPU cores and no SMT, meaning they have 4c/4t. Plus, their IPC is lower than that of i3 8100. So, if you still wanna go this route due to budget reasons, then go for i3 8100. With i3 8100 also, you dont need a graphics card.

Also, I highly doubt you will be able to use those IDE HDDs with any setup today unless there exists any adaptor to connect them to SATA ports.

Also, don't go for mATX motherboards as they will most likely have only 4 SATA ports and you clearly will need more.

Benchmark for Intel on PS:
https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/74jali/the_8700k_seems_ideal_for_photographers/

For your use case, I think you should go for CL i7 or Ryzen 7 or even Ryzen 5, but nothing below that. If you do go Ryzen route, you will need a graphics card also. So, check to see which is cheaper for you from your source:

1) i7 8700/i5 8600/i5 8500 + motherboard + 16GB RAM + SSD
2) Ryzen 5 2600/1600 or Ryzen 7 1700/2700 + motherboard + 16GB RAM +SSD + entry level graphics card (such as GT 1030)

Ryzen 2200g/2400g are probably not for you as they have only 4 CPU cores and no SMT, meaning they have 4c/4t. Plus, their IPC is lower than that of i3 8100. So, if you still wanna go this route due to budget reasons, then go for i3 8100. With i3 8100 also, you dont need a graphics card.

Also, I highly doubt you will be able to use those IDE HDDs with any setup today unless there exists any adaptor to connect them to SATA ports.

Also, don't go for mATX motherboards as they will most likely have only 4 SATA ports and you clearly will need more.

Benchmark for Intel on PS:
https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/74jali/the_8700k_seems_ideal_for_photographers/
Igpu performance is lower than that of older gen amd apu http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-core-i7-8700k-processor-review,26.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3437603/ddr4-single-channel-dual-channel.html

Yes, but he doesn't need GPU since he is not gaming. And to my knowledge video/photo editing depends more on the CPU than on the GPU, please correct me if I am wrong. Even his current old AMD GPU can be used for his use case. But, yes, please feel free to correct me.

I think page number 13 and 14 are more suitable for him to read for his use case in the guru3d link you provided

I am using amd a10_ 7700k apu...which I feel is not 'good enough' for video editing. Or photo editing. And from the charts I posted earlier, we can swe where Intel Igpu stands.
So I suggest op takes ryzen 5 2600 route with x470 board and use his existing gpu.
Yes, but he doesn't need GPU since he is not gaming. And to my knowledge video/photo editing depends more on the CPU than on the GPU, please correct me if I am wrong. Even his current old AMD GPU can be used for his use case. But, yes, please feel free to correct me.

Thanks again, but I must admit that I am getting horribly confused.

Let me clear one misunderstanding, only one of the HDDs, ie, 80GB one, is IDE rest are all SATA HDDs, so I think those are quite usable and I would no require an SSD for now.

For me, the utmost importance is getting the software like Ps and Lr work as fast as possible with my 16bit RAW files, each of nearly 25MB in size.

Considering the above-mentioned points, could you all please guide me to a best possible configuration?

OP, editing photos and videos require more horsepower on CPU side and not necessarily on GPU side. True, PS can use GPU to accelerate performance, but I am not sure how much it does that, because on my setup I feel no difference when I am using PS. I have ryzen 5 1600, nVidia 1060, 16GB RAM. I am a gamer.
For reference, I can export a full HD video of 1 hour length in half an hour.

Both PS and LR enhance the performance if you have a GPU but they still rely more on the CPU horsepower. Therefore, to be clear, you need a GPU only for display and not for processing. For that iGPUs are enough. Of course, if you do have graphics card, performance will be enhanced, BUT, for PS and LR, money needs to be spent more on CPU.

Therefore, from my post above, get the quotes. And go for the one, that suits your budget.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/system-requirements.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

Thanks @atiamd

That's what exactly I had a feeling of, though I was not sure. So considering that, should I go for Intel or AMD route? And if I go for AMD, should I opt for 2400G as this has a higher clock speed? For Intel, I think there is no option but to invest in i7 8700! Please correct me if I am wrong.
In this context let me share that I already use a Laptop with 8GB DDR4, core i5 (6100U) and AMD graphics, but that hardly improves performance. This laptop takes a lot of time to process my RAW files. I even considered an option of adding another 8GB RAM to the laptop but then abandoned the idea.

@src2206 , 220G/2400G are not for you. They are gaming chips. They will fail miserably in video editing. Even i3 will. When compared to i5/r7/r5

Least you need is an i5 or Ryzen 5. Ryzen 7/i7 are preferred.

But, the point is you can only get what is in your budget. for 40k, your choices are limited. So, considering all this, if I were you, I would get the quotes from your source for all these combinations and then decide.

And, that laptop i5 is 2c/4t. Desktop coffee lake i5s are 6C/6T. Miles ahead of your current i5. Even and i3 or any ryzen CPUs including the 220g/2400g (probably) will blow that one out of the water when it comes to editing.

https://ark.intel.com/products/88180/Intel-Core-i3-6100U-Processor-3M-Cache-2_30-GHz

Right 2400g will be waste of money. I would suggest you get quote for r5 2600 with a good x470 board and amd 560 gfx card.
Rest all components will be same Intel or amd.

@atiamd Thanks again.

As I said, I already have an i5 Laptop and it fails miserably. I can surely stretch my budget by another 10K and I think the SSD part is not required. In that case, what would you recommend? One more thing, Ryzen 2nd generation is launched, so even if I go with Ryzen, should I go for 2nd Gen CPUs?

Thank you @chetansha for your help and replies.

@atiamd Thanks again.

As I said, I already have an i5 Laptop and it fails miserably. I can surely stretch my budget by another 10K and I think the SSD part is not required. In that case, what would you recommend? One more thing, Ryzen 2nd generation is launched, so even if I go with Ryzen, should I go for 2nd Gen CPUs?
Yes. R5 2600 is 15k approx.

Back