Budget 41-50k Upgrade suggestion

@atiamd Thanks again.

As I said, I already have an i5 Laptop and it fails miserably. I can surely stretch my budget by another 10K and I think the SSD part is not required. In that case, what would you recommend? One more thing, Ryzen 2nd generation is launched, so even if I go with Ryzen, should I go for 2nd Gen CPUs?
And, that laptop i5 is 2c/4t. Desktop coffee lake i5s are 6C/6T. Miles ahead of your current i5. Even and i3 or any ryzen CPUs including the 220g/2400g (probably) will blow that one out of the water when it comes to editing.

https://ark.intel.com/products/88180/Intel-Core-i3-6100U-Processor-3M-Cache-2_30-GHz

In your budget, best option would be to go for:

1) AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - 15k~
2) B350 motherboard - 10k~ ( or any compatible motherboard with 6 SATA ports at least)
3) 2x8GB DDR4 RAM - 16k ~
4) Either use the gfx card that you have or get a gt 1030 (~7K). If I were you, i would re use your gfx card. I would also put more money to buy the Ryzen 7 2700 to spend ~50k

Makes sense?

Last edited:
Thanks again @chetansha and @atiamd

I shall consult the mdcomputer.in as the shop is in my city. What would you suggest regarding other components?

I have already taken a quote for Ryzen 1600 and it is as follows:

Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-D3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard - 5250/-

GeForce GT 730 4GB Video Card - 5150/-

AMD Ryzen 1600 - 11500/-

16GB Corsair RAM - 11800/-

K380 Cabinet - 2650/-

CX 650 SMPS - 4150/-

@atiamd
Considering your clarification regarding my i5 Laptop, should I also consider a desktop i5 as an option?

I think you will be better off with Ryzen 5 1600 as it has 6c/12t vs. i5s 6c/6t, knowing that PS and LR love cores. However, please review some benchmarks on the web.
Also, please consider that mATX motherboard again. It has 4 SATA ports. Will that be okay with you? You have 3HDDs plus a DVD drive already. And, you may wanna expand in the future.

Side note: That R5 1600 at that price is amazing. Godspeed, brother.

your old gpu is
XFX HD4700 ATi GPU with 512MB DDR5 RAM

and you want to downgrade to a ddr3 gpu when the whole system is running ddr4.

Edit: never mind. looks like its the best card you can get in that price. Sucks that both gpu and ram prices are too high now.

Last edited:
Thanks again for your reply @atiamd

I think you will be better off with Ryzen 5 1600 as it has 6c/12t vs. i5s 6c/6t, knowing that PS and LR love cores.

Ryzen 1600 or 2600? As far as I know, Ps and Lr are more biased towards clock speed rather than to cores. Video editing and rendering are more core intensive. Please correct me if I am wrong.

However, please review some benchmarks on the web.

Any suggestion regarding benchmarking websites?

Also, please consider that mATX motherboard again. It has 4 SATA ports. Will that be okay with you? You have 3HDDs plus a DVD drive already. And, you may wanna expand in the future.

I would surely be expanding in future. So, ATX us more preferable. Please suggest one suitable one.

Side note: That R5 1600 at that price is amazing. Godspeed, brother.

Thanks! Still, I would request you to suggest a configuration with Intel i7 8770+ATX board as I would like to compare both the configuration and decide on the basis of Price-Performance equation.

Thanks again.

your old gpu is

and you want to downgrade to a ddr3 GPU when the whole system is running ddr4.

Edit: never mind. looks like its the best card you can get at that price. Sucks that both GPU and ram prices are too high now.

I can surely use my old GPU with the new system but wouldn't it be a bottleneck?

LR, PS or PR are well optimized for Intel than AMD. That might change in future as AMD gains more market share. In latest Premiere 12.1 update adobe added hardware acceleration for intel processors which uses the igpu for faster video encoding. With HW acceleration enabled i5 8600K easily matches the R7 1700 in video encoding time despite lower cores and threads.

So will it be beneficial for me to go for it 8th Gen? Secondly, will the performance be degraded in case I use 1 RAM stock of 16GB in place of 2x8GB?

So will it be beneficial for me to go for it 8th Gen? Secondly, will the performance be degraded in case I use 1 RAM stock of 16GB in place of 2x8GB?
Intel is more preferable for the applications you use. yes, There will be some performance degradation with single channel. 3D modeling takes the biggest hit with single channel and video encoding will be slower too. As you will be editing videos go for dual channel if you can. Only go for single 16GB stick if you have plans to upgrade to 64GB in future.

Thanks for your reply.

Question is will the performance improvement with intel be worth the premium that I need to pay over an AMD 2600 system?

Btw, I am not in video editing, mostly Still and I plan to upgrade to at least 32GB.

You are soooo muchhhh confused! Guys have already suggested you both intel and amd rigs. Dual channel obviously improves performance but now its upto you to go for either 16x2 or 8x2.
Better is to expand budget and get Intel build with 16x2 ddr4.

Yes, I am confused, because value for money is an important criteria for me.

Btw, I don't seem to find any Intel rog suggested! Did I miss something?

@nRiTeCh , I think I read somewhere on the forum that you have some experience in using PS and LR. True?
Thanks for your reply.

Question is will the performance improvement with intel be worth the premium that I need to pay over an AMD 2600 system?

Btw, I am not in video editing, mostly Still and I plan to upgrade to at least 32GB.

Hey man, there is no premium that you are paying if you get Intel. You think you are because you are comparing 2 CPUs in different leagues. Let me try to clear something for you.
1) R5 1600/2600 are comparable to i5 8400/8500 cost wise
2) Ryzen 7 and i7 are comparable cost wise

It's a general consensus that Ryzens usually win in productivity (your use case) from their Intel counterparts (plenty of benchmarks on the web). Then again, in some scenarios, Intel will win. But that margin in either case is not worth it to think about and spend so much time on. So, R5 and i5 should be compared to keep a level playing field. R7 and i7 should be compared to keep a level playing field. It is entirely possible that i7 wins against R5, but that is an unfair comparison since both cost different.

Every body has a set budget, like you have and systems should be built around that. e.g. i5 may cost less than R5, but the complete build may cost more or vice versa. You mentioned, you have a source from which you will buy. Get a quote from them for 4 complete builds: Ryzen 5, i5, Ryzen 7, i7. You will be surprised how easy it will be for you to make a decision then.

As for your question about RAM; always should go for dual channel RAM. Period. Start from 2x8GB. It will most likely beat 1x16GB at the same clock speeds. 32GB RAM costs above 30K anyway and you cannot afford that if your budget is only 50k.

As for graphics card, that really depends on what you do with it. You just need a display, iGPU or your current old card is enough. You want to enhance your apps' performance, a discrete card will be better. But, again, will the build be now within your budget?

TLDR; Instead of getting confused about so many things, get a quote for all 4 builds (R5, i5, R7, i7) from your source. You will find that one step will make your decision a lot easier. :)

Thanks for your reply.

You will be at disadvantage with 2600 considering the apps you use and the fact that you'll not overclock. R5 and i5 configurations are already suggested. Here is an i7 8700 configuration-

CPU - i7 8700

mobo - GIGABYTE H370 AORUS Gaming 3 WIFI

RAM - 2666 or 2400MHz RAM. Buy 1 x 16 GB if you're okay with the some performance loss for now and adding another 16GB in future to make it dual channel or else buy 2 X 8 GB

Add a SSD if your budget permits, it makes a lot of difference for normal day to day tasks. Check the below video to know why Ryzen might not be the optimal choice for your work.

Thanks so much.

Sorry @atiamd I completely missed the links that you posted earlier. Unfortunately, I wish I could see the performance comparison between 8700 with R5 or R7 done by Puget System, that would have been a sure shot thing for me. Still, those links really helped to clear at least a part of the confusion I have been having.

@Him thanks for sharing the video, though I do not use Premiere, this was helpful.

From all the links I agree that it seems Intel would give me a better performance provided Igo for 8700K, but sadly that is way beyond my budget. How much less the performance of 8700 compared to it's K sibling?

@atiamd I dont use any graphics tools but my friends into animation etc does. They all have mixed rigs of Intel & Amd depending on budgets. Of course some struggled on budget rigs while others prospered on mid and hi ends. Budget rigs arent bad at all except for the computation takes longer times. Eg: 5mins vs 20+mins doing a basic rigging or rendering works.

Many of them still use i7 i5 3-4 gen and some fx amds too with 16 or 24gb rams and are quite satisfied. Coz upgrading a rig every yr or two is not everybody's cup of tea.
Some of them migrated completely to high end msi and rog gaming laptops which did costed them a bomb of course but thats considered a lifetime or very long term investment.
While some working in good cos got high end laptops and MacBooks from their organization itself and now their home rigs are simply tasting dust!

And nobody bought 16gigs ram or gpus initially, everything was upgraded gradually right from 4gb and 8gb

Okay, after going through numerous links and with your active help, it seems that the possible ways are either R2600 or i7-8700 (preferably K). Coming week I am going to visit the shops to get some hands-on quotation for both the systems.

There is a general feeling that Adobe works better with Intel CPUs but there is no conclusive evidence to show that the difference in performance is that high to justify the extra bucks for Intel.
Two advantages of AMD system are, first, their AM4 system which is easily upgradable; second, they are providing separate CPU coolers.

Intel obviously wins on the performance front with its 8700k when benchmarks are considered. And if I understood it correctly, I do not need to invest in a GPU for now if I go for the Intel. In this case, I can even use my old stone-age GPU, but I am not sure whether that would create a bottleneck or not. With my old system, I have seen that the latest Ps crashes sometimes when the option of using GPU is checked.

Though I am unable to find anything anywhere regarding performance when multiple software like Lr, Ps are used together. Should AMD perform better as it has more cores? No idea!

Could the members here please suggest me MBs for both the systems which are of ATX form factor and have 2 P/S2 ports?

Last edited:
Back