Budget 41-50k Upgrade suggestion

1) you are again doing the mistake of comparing R5 with i7 (15k vs. 23k plus cooler). R5 2600 should be compared with i5 CPUs
2) In your budget you need a gpu just to get display. There is no question of bottleneck if you're using it to get display. Rest assured even your old gfx card is enough for that. Intel has an advantage of using their IGPU for performance in some apps.
3) I am not aware of any mobo that has ps2 ports. They were replaced by USB ports long ago. And it's for the better imo. Is there a specific reason why you need them? I'll also see if I'm wrong here.

Thanks again @atiamd . I am not actually comparing, it's more like this; if I go in Intel's way, there seems to be no reason to settle below i7, whereas, for AMD route, there seems to be not much of a performance improvement for the premium to be paid for anything higher than R2600. :)

And exactly this is where I am in dilemma, will I get a substantial performance improvement for the extra I need to pay for Intel?

Could you please suggest a cooler for i7?

I actually have my old KB and mouse which I am not ready to ditch, I have been using those for last 16 years, and both use PS2 ports. :)

Use ps2 to usb connector. But 16yrs? Can you post what brand are those and how come 16yrs they lasted you. Then the mouse must be the age old bottom ball no optic no laser. The keyboard must be some mechanical ones.

Both of those came with my first PC, a COMPAQ :)
Yes, the mouse is a bottom ball, though I had purchased an optical mouse a few years later (have to check the brand, most probably iBall) which I am still using (nearly 8-10 years ) and still working perfectly. Though that is also a PS2 mouse

Okay now I get you more clearly. There's a reason ryzen 5 are more popular .... :) . I bought 1600 for gaming and I'm happy with it . I think you will be too. These are budget chips in the sense that they will not perform equal or better than i7s but performance per rupee is definitely where they win plus they are not that far behind in performance to justify the cost difference imo.

And dang..... That kb/mouse situation... I'm jealous. Even my logitech laser micee don't last me more than 3 4 years .. Lol.... On a more serious note see if you can buy a 500 Rs. Kb/mouse combo from logitech dell HP or Amazon basics. I'm sure they will have some. You can then use the USB things and get into "production" sooner....

Thanks a lot. It's great that now we both understand each other and I really appreciate you helping me from the beginig. When I was younger I use to take a lot of interest in the hardware front of computers and a bit of gaming too; but with age I am now more focussed on the productive use (from my perspective) of computer. :) @atiamd

So, 2600 or 1600 and the X version or the non X version? What would be your suggestion and why?

I'm an overclocker so I go with non x variant. Plus remember 1600x doesn't come with a cooler. 1600 2600 2600x do come with cooler in the box. X versions have slightly higher frequencies and a slightly more xfr. Xfr is the frequency at which one core runs at highest speed. Not important imo.

Non x versions are cheaper. Can overclock to similar levels in 99 percent of the cases. My 1600 runs at 3.6 on all cores without even touching the volts AND on the stock cooler. I'd suggest you to go for 1600 if the price difference is much between it and 2600. 2600 is 10 percent faster than 1600. So if there's only a 10 percent price difference then sure go for 2600. Otherwise go for 1600.

I'm an overclocker so I go with non x variant. Plus remember 1600x doesn't come with a cooler. 1600 2600 2600x do come with cooler in the box. X versions have slightly higher frequencies and a slightly more xfr. Xfr is the frequency at which one core runs at highest speed. Not important imo.

Non x versions are cheaper. Can overclock to similar levels in 99 percent of the cases. My 1600 runs at 3.6 on all cores without even touching the volts AND on the stock cooler. I'd suggest you to go for 1600 if the price difference is much between it and 2600. 2600 is 10 percent faster than 1600. So if there's only a 10 percent price difference then sure go for 2600. Otherwise go for 1600.

Thanks a lot @atiamd

You have cleared a lot of air. Tomorrow I am going to the market for the quotations. Though I have a feeling that the price difference between 2600 and 1600+cooler will be more than 10%.

I have also decide to put the plan of purchasing a in the backburner for now and going to use my stone age GPU.

Regarding chioset, it seems that the choice is between x470 and x370. If the price difference is not that high, I would go for x470. Hope this is a judicious choice.

I have also been thinking about investing the money I would save from GPU and CPU (by taking the AMD route) to another 16GB Ram stick.

1600 is an excellent chip. You'll fall in love with it you'll see. Glad to be of help. After getting quotes put the build parts here before you buy

1600 is an excellent chip. You'll fall in love with it you'll see. Glad to be of help. After getting quotes put the build parts here before you buy
1600 is 14k, 2600 is 15300. Which one to pick.?
Board msi x370 xpower gaming titanium
Ram g skill. F4-2400C15D-16GVR
Gpu msi rx570 gaming x 4g

Sorry to have hijacked the thread .
Flashing bios is not an issue. This particular support bios flashback...cpu not required to flash new bios

Exactly!

Btw, @atiamd could you please suggest a good x470 ATX board for me?
X470 boards are the top of the line boards. They are expensive and above 15k. They are also not needed for your use case. Even for gaming B350 is enough. So, I would recommend the cheapest possible B350 motherboard for yourself (starting 7000 INR). You can ask the shopkeeper to update the BIOS to get compatibility for 2600. If you end up getting a 1600, then it won't be an issue anyway.

x470 and b350 have everything in common except better VRMs, SLI/crossfire, 8 vs. 6 SATA ports.

If you insist on x470, then here are the results from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=am4+x470

@atiamd

Here is the lowest quotation:

AMD build:

Ryzen 2600x - 15800/-
x470 board Rog Strix Asus- 15000/-
x470 Board from Gigabyte- 12200/- (not in stock, will be available by the end of this month)

Intel Build:

i7 8700k - 23200/-
i7 8700 - 19300/-
Z370 HD3P gigabyte - 11400/-
Cooler for 8700k - 2500/- (not sure about the exact model)

Common Components:

16GB 3000MHz Ram Corsair- 12350/-
CM K380 case - 2400/-
Corsair 550W SMPS - 2750/-
730 GPU 4GB DDR3 - 5300/-
1030 GPU 2GB DDR5 - 6500/-

All the above prices are excluding GST.

• Do I actually need a separate/discrete GPU in either case?
  • Does i7 not require a discrete GPU?
Please comment on the above builds. It is pretty interesting that there is not that much of a difference in cost between the two systems, though I am not sure how much performance improvements will be there for the extra money spent on the Intel i7 system!

I am going to finalize once I have more or less a conclusive discussion here.

If I were you, I would go for the i7 configuration. It costs similar and is potentially more powerful. You said, you don't want to overclock, correct?

1) i7 comes with iGPU. You do not need to buy an entry level graphics card unless you plan on gaming (and, even then, you would want to pair it with at least a 1070). iGPU will also provide a decent GPU acceleration, should you need it
2) NO. i7 comes with iGPU

Back