Budget 0-20k Upgrade Suggestions! - Home PC

Questions
  1. What is your budget?
    • Flexible (Need value for money upgrade)
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • Current PC is 9 years old. So I guess I have to change everything!
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor
    • Keyboard
    • Mouse
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
    • PSU - Best Power Supply Units
    • A very compact cabinet (see at bottom about Intel NUC (mini PC) option that I have)
    • SSD/HDD
    • RAM
    • USB 3.0
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Final!
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Chennai
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing
    • Watching Movies
    • (I want this to last for at least 5-8 years without any issues)
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • No gaming
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Not buying monitor
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows (I dont own a license )

More info-
All I need is a VFM upgrade that would last for a while (5-10 years) like the one that I have now.

I have another issue - A friend of mine is coming from the US in 5 days. He is saying Intel mini pc - NUC - is a great option for 330 dollars. It is extremely compact (which I love) plus has a good CPU (see http://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC5i5R...pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1458389829&sr=1-2&keywords=NUC). Will have to buy a SSD and RAM seperately. What should I do! Really confused. Need to make a decision quickly before he leaves US.

Does NUC have international warranty?

Me too thinking about upgrade. I feel this could be a right fit for you. i3 build is just to hit the roof of your budget and see what you can get for that. But personally, I feel Pentium is suffice for your need. If you can live without front usb 3, you can pretty well get them under 16k and use the rest of money for something else like UPS, ODD...

i3 4150 - 8200 (with i3 config, it exceeds your budget by 3k. Replace with Pentium G3240 (3800/-) and everything else remains same)
B85m G - 5700 (You can go for H81 (3500/-) motherboard to reduce cost, but you won't have front USB header. Yeah, you can find adapter for that, but I doubt if you can get that speed)
Corsair VS 4GB DDR3 - 1510
Antec VP450p 2480 (Lower power may be enough for this build as you're not gonna game, but I prefer this)
Generic cabinet - 1200
HDD - 3700 (If you can use HDD from your old build, you can buy SSD for this money)

i3 4150 - 8200 (with i3 config, it exceeds your budget by 3k. Replace with Pentium G3240 (3800/-) and everything else remains same)
B85m G - 5700 (You can go for H81 (3500/-) motherboard to reduce cost, but you won't have front USB header. Yeah, you can find adapter for that, but I doubt if you can get that speed)
Corsair VS 4GB DDR3 - 1510
Antec VP450p 2480 (Lower power may be enough for this build as you're not gonna game, but I prefer this)
Generic cabinet - 1200
HDD - 3700 (If you can use HDD from your old build, you can buy SSD for this money)[

Its a fine build replace the psu with something from seasonic theogh the vp series is not very good

And intel 820 ssd's are selling for 3k with 1 month warranty over ebay.

://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/acl...t-Supply/dp/B005O8PNSM?tag=googinhydr18418-21

Last edited by a moderator:
Seasonic S12II Series 520W is too much for this build I think (Seasonic Eco 430 costs over 3k, still a lot of money). But OP has put emphasis "Best PSU" and if he opt for Pentium with H81, he will have enough money left to buy this SMPS.

With your usage, NUC suits you. However do note that i5-5250U in NUC will NOT be at par in processing power with respect to i3-4150. If you dunn have any space constraints, stick to Desktop config suggested above. For PSU, Seasonic S12 II 430 goes for approx 4k. Also check if i3-43xx is available.

Back