Budget 0-20k Upgrading an old budget gaming machine

aKp1

Disciple
Questions
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel G3258
    • Motherboard - Gigabyte B85M DS3H
    • GPU - Asus Strix GTX960 2gb
    • RAM - Transcend 2X4GB 1333MHz
    • Monitor - LG 24MP88HV + LG 17"TN
    • PSU - Coolermaster Thunder 450W
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor
    • PSU
    • GPU
    • RAM if works
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • Probably Ryzen will fit into my budget. Please advise the best price to performance combo.
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Final build
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Sniper Elite 4
    • Fifa 18
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1080p
    2. Desktop - 1080p
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10 64 bit

Have a budget gaming rig with G3258 OCed at 4.2GHz. It was already a bottle neck now it is unbearable. The new Ryzen has risen my hopes for some better price to performance. So I am planning to upgrade.
Only want to change the mobo and cpu to gain some decent gaming performance upto 60FPS and good multitasking.

Please advise!
Thank You!

Would like to get some more information on this part along with examples :)
Maybe because it is a dual core cpu and majority of modern games need atleast a quadcore cpu to start with

@aKp1 You will need to get ddr4 ram if you upgrade to current gen cpus which are bit costly..
I would suggest you getting a used i5/ i7 if your only intention for upgrade is gaming.
Upgrading to a cpu which is compatible to your motherboard (maybe 4th gen)will save you bucks on motherboard as well.

I am of the opinion after looking at your current build and the games you play, you will be much better off with an i5/i7 supported by your motherboard. Here are the CPUs supported by your motherboard. From a dual core pentium of that generation, i5/i7 will be a huge boost to performance.
Also, buy a 250GB SSD to go with it. It will make a world of difference to your system.

If the above is unacceptable by you, then my opinion for new components would be:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 3 1200 - ~8000 INR
Motherboard - Any mATX motherboard for ~5000 INR
RAM - I dont usually suggest a single stick of RAM with a ryzen setup, but for your use case (since you would be bottle necked more by gfx card than anything else), go with a single stick of 8GB DDR4 RAM to start with. ~5000-8000 INR depending on where you look and what you want. I would suggest to keep it under 2400 MHz if budget doesnt allow. Later you can add another stick of 8GB when you feel like it.

If you want to go the intel way, i3 8100 sounds like a good quad core CPU you can get. But its availability is a question. Intel has only launched z370 motherboards for coffee lake which are expensive. But if you want, you can wait it out and see if that path makes any sense to you.

However, going by the second and third options is not really recommended as you wont be able to get an SSD in the budget which is what will give you a huge performance boost.

Both options will provide you enough power to keep your gfx card 100% utilized. Down the line, when you feel your GPU needs to be changed, you can just buy a new mid range GPU, another stick of 8GB RAM, and possibly a new PSU.

Suggest doing ssd and processor upgrade. That way you get more value.

Once market and ram prices stabilize,upgrade entire system to threadripper.
More future proof.

I would also go with the popular opinion as there is no point in buying new mobo or processor with that budget and even if you did still the gaming performance would be marginal increased at 1080p.

1. Try for a 2nd hand 4790k 1st if dat doesnt go thru try for i5 4690k or buy them new if they are available.
2. Sell your 960 for arnd 8-9k and buy the 1060 6gb at around 24k.
3. If money permits buy an ssd or save for it and buy it later.

With the above config you can play all current titles at ultra settings at 1080p and all set for next 2-3 years.

Would like to get some more information on this part along with examples :)
Nothing wrong with the CPU as is but certain games like Fifa 17 jitters and lags, massive frame drops. Fifa 18 doesn't work at all. Just Cause 3 again drops frames immensely . And the moment you start doing some multitasking it starts sucking like anything. Also considering that even a bit of video rendering makes the whole PC slow to the extent that for for sometime even browsing becomes difficult.

Nothing wrong with the CPU as is but certain games like Fifa 17 jitters and lags, massive frame drops. Fifa 18 doesn't work at all. Just Cause 3 again drops frames immensely . And the moment you start doing some multitasking it starts sucking like anything. Also considering that even a bit of video rendering makes the whole PC slow to the extent that for for sometime even browsing becomes difficult.

In that case, it is possible that your PSU is not providing your components enough power due to which they throttle down. Unfortunately, the PSU that you have is not the best and more often than not it will create issues with gaming PCs. Is it possible for you to monitor your gaming sessions with MSI afterburner? If you see any power loss during those frame dips, you may be able to tell if the PSU is a problem. I am not sure how I missed it.

In that case, it is possible that your PSU is not providing your components enough power due to which they throttle down. Unfortunately, the PSU that you have is not the best and more often than not it will create issues with gaming PCs. Is it possible for you to monitor your gaming sessions with MSI afterburner? If you see any power loss during those frame dips, you may be able to tell if the PSU is a problem. I am not sure how I missed it.
Yes I have monitored the power draw, output and voltage using the Asus GPU Tweak II and actually it is pretty stable. I have also monitored the processor temperatures and voltage draw using HWMonitor. And it is solid. Doesn't seem to be the PSU. In fact at 1.3V @4.2GHz, the maximum CPU Speed goes upto 4.3GHz. Wherever I have read, it says it's due to the lack of threads.

Okay, good. So, now the conclusion is to find a compatible i5/i7 to resolve your issue, I guess. I would still suggest to change your PSU to a reliable unit like a seasonic or corsair cx series. But, its really up to you. Good luck, man!

Bro @atiamd the thing is that I couldn't find someone selling out his 4690k or 4790k for cheap. They are like asking 12k or more. And the retail price is higher than the newer generation unlocked CPUs. I will change the PSU as it seems I will have to build a new machine from the scratch.

You have a 960 2GB. Even an i3 of that generation wont likely bottleneck it, I suppose. Are there any i3 or i5 available? If not, what are you thinking of building?

Be patient and wait for 2nd hand i5/i7, something will come up for sure.
Try facebook buy sell groups. i've seen some previous gens i5/i7 going for way less in those groups. And for retail unit try to search by going to some computer shops, they must have some old stock with them that they will sell for less.

and yea change your psu when you upgrade your GPU.

Sorry for late reply guys! Been busy with marriages and stuff. I am waiting. I tried tweaking my OC a bit, and now it has stabilized at 4.3GHz and it is giving great results. I get good framerates in all the new titles. Problems are only with titles that are multicore dependent like the Fifa.[DOUBLEPOST=1510726020][/DOUBLEPOST]
You have a 960 2GB. Even an i3 of that generation wont likely bottleneck it, I suppose. Are there any i3 or i5 available? If not, what are you thinking of building?
Yeah you are right, it handles everything with ease. Right now only bottleneck is the CPU and that also only in few games, otherwise it's really OK.

Sorry for late reply guys! Been busy with marriages and stuff. I am waiting. I tried tweaking my OC a bit, and now it has stabilized at 4.3GHz and it is giving great results. I get good framerates in all the new titles. Problems are only with titles that are multicore dependent like the Fifa.

if you're oc'ing then i recommend a better quality psu if possible.

Back