Camera Upgrading to Full Frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ameet

Recruit
I have been using my D5100 for the past three years and i am Planning to take the plunge and buy a full frame camera.
I had a few questions that i hope you'll could help me with.
Should i wait for the new 5d marks iii's successor or should i just buy the d810?
I will be buying the 70-200 f2.8 and 24-70 f2.8. and the 85 mm
Now, the dilemna here is whether to buy nikkor/canon lenses or sigma, tamaron?
Will i get a cheaper deal if i buy from a retail store or buying online would be the better option here?
Also some suggestions for a sturdy tripod, a camera bag and flashes?

If you have the budget, then the 5Ds is a very capable camera indeed. The lenses you have chosen are bog standard for FF as well now. Stick to the Can/Nik-on lenses as you will miss out on the optic quality otherwise.

Online: Check with Can/Nik-on service center on warranty applicability first.

Tripod: Manfrotto carbon fiber ones with a head of your choice. Plan for up to 5-7 Kgs of weight capability.

Flash: very very subjective thing, depends on the power range and capability you want. I use a Metz 52 right now.

TBH, you are the first person I have come across, who wants to jump from Nikon to Canon camp at this time.

From people I know, there has been a great inclination toward D750, due to its comparable performance to 5dmk3 but at a hell lot lesser price.
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-vs-Nikon-D750

I would suggest plan for long term, as you can always keep the lenses and keep upgrading the body. So may be start with a cheaper option D750 and divert budget to better lenses. If budget is not an issue, still I do not find a reason to go for 2-3 year old release (5dmk3)

(BTW I own a canon crop)

first of all... what kind of photography are you interested in?
second... dont buy zooms. (this also depends upon the type of photography)
three... canon and nikon are not the epitome of quality photography. especially in lenses. if you want to get the best of quality you might want to look into zeiss and leica etc... for example, if you want to buy 85mm, I would presume that you want to get into portraiture. then you should buy zeiss otus. but it will cost you as much as 24-70 and 70-200 combined.
btw, I hate canon and nikon. and if you buy sony (like me) you can almost use any lens. be it canon or nikon or leica or minolta.

I have been using my D5100 for the past three years and i am Planning to take the plunge and buy a full frame camera.
Should i wait for the new 5d marks iii's successor or should i just buy the d810?
I will be buying the 70-200 f2.8 and 24-70 f2.8. and the 85 mm
Now, the dilemna here is whether to buy nikkor/canon lenses or sigma, tamaron?
Will i get a cheaper deal if i buy from a retail store or buying online would be the better option here?
Also some suggestions for a sturdy tripod, a camera bag and flashes?

Before I go ahead and answer some of ur questions could you let me know if you are a working professional in Photography or someone who is not going derive a primary source of income from it?

Now if I assume you to be a serious hobbyist here are some of my suggestions

1. Don't believe is the "latest is the best" philosophy. I have worked in the field for years now and have yet to see the urge to get the latest in any of my contemporaries. Some of the people are in the late 50 and 60s. Get what suits best in the budget and the kind of photography you will do. 40-60% should be ideal i.e. spend 40% on the camera and 60% on the lenses.
2. Some third party lenses are equally good if not better. Just for the sake of resale value and compatibility of the system you can stick to the camera brand. I have a mix of lenses from all the manufacturers and they all perform beautifully if you know the limitations and ur willing to train urself.
3. Compare prices at both online and retails stores. Sometimes you get an exclusive deal if you have a rapport with the dealer. Usually better support at the local dealers. Online u have to check with the manufacturer if the warranty applies to purchases made on that website.
4. Invest in a good tripod that will last you atleast 5 years if not more. My Gitzo has been passed on to me by my father in law and has seen atleast 30+ years of service. Manfrotto or Benro are good enough to start with. Regarding bags you will have to focus down to the kind, such a backpack , wheeled ones, sling and messenger bag. As per your kit and carrying preference. I have a Billingham that carries most of my stuff but on travels I prefer using my wheeled one.
Flashes are subject to ur shooting style and the level of light you will be working in. To start any TTL flash will get u decent results but you might want to learn how to use manual ones to have a complete understanding.

I earn my living from this profession and live in the UK with fair amount of work in India and have used almost all the digital camera system at one point of time for various professional pursuits. There is nothing to Hate. Remember it's not the camera but you that is in control.

WHat do you expect to gain from FF that you can't get from DX? Noise? There's a roughly 1 stop reduction on going to FF. Weight, lenses - everything is more, the lenses will be more expensive..

I would personally invest in better lenses and shooting technique than going to a full frame...
d5100 is still a very capable camera/sensor, though it is "only" 16Mp.

Believe me, moving to full frame will not give enough gain compared to dx...(If you are not a professional shooter)
else got for a medium format.../s

I moved from APS-C to FF. Dont get me wrong, I use both, depending on need.
Video, Fast Action, Kids and Night - FF
General Outdoors and Telephoto - APS C

Everyone has different shooting styles, needs and kits. If OP has decided he needs to move to FF, that could be because of his needs.

first of all... what kind of photography are you interested in?
second... dont buy zooms. (this also depends upon the type of photography)
I wonder why the categorical condemnation of zooms? They are an order of magnitude better today than they were when I bought my first Nikkor zoom back in the 1970s. Today's premium zooms are fast and sharp. They are less distorted. And they are infinitely more convenient inasmuch as one does not need to swap lenses about so much.

three... canon and nikon are not the epitome of quality photography. especially in lenses. if you want to get the best of quality you might want to look into zeiss and leica etc... for example, if you want to buy 85mm, I would presume that you want to get into portraiture. then you should buy zeiss otus. but it will cost you as much as 24-70 and 70-200 combined.
Zeiss and Leitz do in fact make some of the very best glass out there. However, in my opinion and experience, having a Leitz Summicron or a Zeiss Planar is no recipe for success. The difference in quality between premium glass across the major brands is minuscule. Top end Canon and Nikon lenses are plenty good enough, and in my opinion they have been good enough for a very long time.

I'll share an example to make a point. Consider the classic "normal" lens. I have three:
1: a 1967 Nikkor 50mm F2 which I use on Nikons F, F2, and D700. (about $40 on the used market)
2: a 1954 Summicron 50mm F2 on a Leica M3, (about $300 on the used market), and
3: a 1969 50mm F2 Kiev Jupiter 8M (Ukrainian Carl Zeiss Sonnar copy) (about $15 on the used market), fitted to a Kiev 4a (Ukrainian Contax II copy).

The Summicron is ever so slightly sharper wide open. The Jupiter and Nikkor are about the same as each other, having a bit more contrast than the Summicron. One looking at a print made of the same subject from each of these three lenses would probably not be able to discern any difference between them. Certainly not because of sharpness. Maybe the most discerning amateur photographer could see some differences in bokeh.

Point is, shouldn't we get the concept clear first? Perhaps we should not worry so much about the ability of today's premium grade glass to deliver sharp, high quality images. Most of the bad images we make nowadays will be because of fuzzy concepts and bad techniques, not because of ineptitude of lenses.

btw, I hate canon and nikon. and if you buy sony (like me) you can almost use any lens. be it canon or nikon or leica or minolta.
Why the categorical hate of the top two camera makers in the world? FWIW, Canon, with its short flange-to sensor distance, will mount more other-brand glass by accident than most other cameras can on purpose. And there is so much F mount glass out there that there will never be any shortage of lenses for Nikons. And what about Pentax? A great brand. Poorly marketed maybe, but very good. Pentax will mount hundreds of lenses from Pentax, Yashica, Mamiya, Ricoh, Zeiss, and dozens of other brands via its bayonet+M42 capability. Nothing wrong with Sony either. They are leading the way with Zeiss branded glass and improved electronic viewfinder technology.

Most of our problems with photography cannot be solved by switching about between brands and lenses. Perhaps we should invest in improving our skills instead. A talented imagemaker will consistently make better pictures with any camera. One who does not understand photography will make poor pictures with whatever equipment he buys. This is one fact that time and experience will show each of us sooner or later. Cameras don't make pictures. Photographers do that.

Last edited:
Hello Ameet.

I haven't met anyone yet who moved up to full frame who regretted it. APS is only about 46% of a full frame. All other things equal, FF brings better control of depth of field, less concern about diffraction at higher aperture numbers, and better low light capability. Having a larger sensor surface will require less enlargement for any given size finished image. That may translate into the perception of a sharper image.

Should i wait for the new 5d mark iii's successor, or should i just buy the d810?
If there is some compelling reason to move to Canon glass (availability, price, service, whatever), then switching brands might make sense. Canon adapts to more other-brand glass too, if you have a slow, deliberate shooting style and want to experiment. You can put Leica R glass onto a Canon, for example. Nikon's 810 is a splendid camera. Canon and Nikon operational cultures are different. If one is used to shooting with one, he will probably dislike shooting with the other... at least at first. My pick would be Nikon d810, but that is mainly because I have used Nikon gear since the mid sixties, and I am still using the lenses from that time.

I will be buying the 70-200 f2.8 and 24-70 f2.8. and the 85 mm ... Now, the dilemma here is whether to buy nikkor/canon lenses or sigma, tamaron?
If I could afford it, my prejudice would be for premium zoom lenses from Canon or Nikon, depending upon whichever platform I were to choose going forward. After the pain of purchase has subsided, nobody regrets having bought the highest quality glass from a particular manufacturer.

Is there a dealer you can look into the face if something goes wrong? Is that worth paying a little more? It would be for me. Purchase price may not be all that a camera costs.

Also some suggestions for a sturdy tripod, a camera bag and flashes
Your tripod should be rock solid steady. Do a hands on test with your camera body and heaviest lens to see if it is. Does it creep from the weight? Does it wobble under pressure? It shouldn't. Your camera bag should open in such a way that you can get to anything without having to remove anything else. It should look discreet. It should NOT say CANON, NIKON, PENTAX, SONY, or any such thing as that. Flashes? Can't say. If I were buying a flash I would be sure that it was strong, and communicated properly with my dSLR. And it could be used on fully manual too.... and tilt for bounce.

Good luck with your decisions.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back