PC Peripherals UPS for 45+ mins backup

sreenisatish

Disciple
I am an the lookout for a UPS that will give me a minimum of 45 mins of backup. I want this because most of the times, when the power goes off in my location, it comes back up in 30 minutes or lesser. So, if I have 45 mins, I could avoid switching off the PC in the middle of a gaming session :)

You can find my system config in my signature. I use a 550W Corsair power supply.

I have found one APC model:
BR1500-IN: APC Back-UPS RS 1500VA, 230V, INDIA
This UPS supports extensible battery backup.
Considering my system draws 500W, the BR1500-IN along with the BR24BP battery pack gives 40 minutes of backup according to the graph on the website.

That's pretty impressive. I have inquired about the cost of these locally. The UPS costs Rs. 10K and the battery pack costs Rs. 5K.

Is there any other option available say around the 10K mark by which I can get 40-45 mins of backup in my machine?

what you need is an inverter and a battery.

Most APC inverters do act as UPS too, by this I mean the PC doesn't restart when it switches to battery mode.
Atleast my APC 1KVA UPS does.

Now if you want it just for your PC, then look for a 800VA inverter (12 Volts) and a battery of about 80 Amps (Amron Inva).
having an inverter makes more sense as the powercuts are only going to get longer in the summer.

OR

I have a PCM (powercom) 1KVA UPS with a facility to add external batteries (24V though).
UPS : 4000/-
Battery : 5-6 K /- ( two maruti 800 batteries (35 A) 12V * 2)
I think Bajaj AUto battery from Exide is 22amps look for that.

get yourself a APC SUA1000i for ~12k or APC SUA1500i for ~15K , both of them will able to give you more than enough backup.
Don't forget these are pure sine wave so no compatibility issues with PSU.
I have SUA1000i & it gives me 70 mins backup on my rig.

P.S. speakers are not connected to UPS.

Well your other option is to get the APC 1000UXI
here is a screen shot of mine
apcr.jpg

vivacious_tg said:
^^ which battery are you using with this & battery specs?
total cost ups+battery=?
Using 4x Exide EL40 (true 40ah batteries @C10) comes with 4 years warranty,earlier i had just a pair of them and one can get about 500 min with the same load as in the screen shot.
UPS costs 10.5k and batteries costs 5.5k each.One can also go for regular flat plate batteries but they have a shorter charge/discharge cycles but still a lot better then the sealed batteries.

Back