Audio Urgent AL MX5021 Help

Rave

ex-Mod
Ive been trying to remove the power supply from the sub of the mx5021s, removed the bottom 4 screws but the damn transformer wudnt budge, its actually mounted on a plank and the plank in turn was mounted on the subwoofer, i thought it was mounted by means of those 4 screws but looks like it was glued on or something, any idea as to how I can remove it?

A heat gun. That is hot glue, and a right pain to get off. Check the mdding thread, there's someone who used a lot of force to get it off.

Secure mounting is compulsory inside the MX as there will be rattling if there's anything loose, the sub driver vents directly into the amp chamber.

cranky said:
A heat gun. That is hot glue, and a right pain to get off. Check the mdding thread, there's someone who used a lot of force to get it off.

Secure mounting is compulsory inside the MX as there will be rattling if there's anything loose, the sub driver vents directly into the amp chamber.

ahh thats what i was thinking, used a lot of force, well as much as i dared anyway and it wudnt move a bit, i guess ill get a heatgun from somewhere tomorrow and have a go, i better get it done in a day or two otherwise would again be pending for another month...

any idea as to what temperate to use? or just apply until released?

Have a hair dryer with heater? That should work well too. Start from the lowest temperature setting and continue increasing it till the transformer comes off.

Raghunandan said:
Have a hair dryer with heater? That should work well too. Start from the lowest temperature setting and continue increasing it till the transformer comes off.

yup have a hair dryer as well, will give it a go..

EDIT: do i hate the thing from the outside or from the inside? am a bit apprehensive about heating from the inside as it may cause damage to the transformer?

^Your transformer is most probably kaput so never mind. :p

Heat it from the inside - btw did you manage to plonk the motherboard outside? You should've had a tough time taking out the 6pin cnnector from the board since that was hot-glued to the board!

Aim the heat as close to the base of the transformer as possible (the metal bit, metal conducts heat quicker). It still may not work out, another poster simply dremeled the transformer out (cut it in two where it stood). Probably this is why the secondary plate is used, so you can also use a chisel to hack the board off without damaging the cabinet, and level it off and use a second plank on top for the new transformer.

cranky said:
Aim the heat as close to the base of the transformer as possible (the metal bit, metal conducts heat quicker). It still may not work out, another poster simply dremeled the transformer out (cut it in two where it stood). Probably this is why the secondary plate is used, so you can also use a chisel to hack the board off without damaging the cabinet, and level it off and use a second plank on top for the new transformer.

well ive removed the motherboard by removing the 6 pin power cord, but the workability inside the cabinet is next to nill, i dont think there is enough space inside the cabinet to cut the board off, i tried heating the base from the exterior for a good 20 mins using a hair dryer but to no avail, ill post some pics by tonite so you can suggest something appropriate

By base you mean from the inside? hmm ill give it a shot, although from the looks of things surely looks like a shot fuse

Yeah, from the inside. If you try heating the box you can do it for 6 hours and nothing's gonna happen.

Aim it directly on the metal base of the transformer, where it is secured to the wooden plank.

Here are the pics as i said, the transformer is bolted to the wooden plank( see red circles in pic 3, pls enlarge) and the plank was bolted to the base of the cabinet(refer the orange circle), now there is no way the transformer is coming off without removing the bolts but the bolt head doesnt come out at the base of the cabinet so only option would be to remove the plank intself, ive removed the bolts securing the plank in place(orange circles) but seem like the plank itself is stuck on with god knows what, tried heating it up with the hair dryer from the inside but doesnt even budge a cm..

a heat gun would be better?

Just use a Multimeter to check the windings of the transformer na, that way you can at least verify if it is the transformer or something else.

superczar said:
Just use a Multimeter to check the windings of the transformer na, that way you can at least verify if it is the transformer or something else.

cant, as you can see from the pics, have almost zero workability inside the cabinet

if its not rattling/adding more noise, just let it be there, and move the amp board outside, and get a new , possibly better spec transformer :)

greenhorn said:
if its not rattling/adding more noise, just let it be there, and move the amp board outside, and get a new , possibly better spec transformer :)

err I wudnt want to install the powersupply outside the cabinet, i guess thats what you are suggesting?

I can't see anything for the blur, but it looks like you got your work cut out for you. The transformer is possibly riveted to the wooden plank. The plank in turn is hot-glued to the base and for good measure, secured to the floor of the cabinet using 4 t-nuts and bolts. Removing the bolts is a start, but I sense you have to dremel it out.

You could try using a nutdriver to remove the transformer frame. The frame is held on with 4 nuts and bolts, you may not be able to access the bolts but I can see the nuts, they should open up with a regular spanner. After dismantling the 4 nuts and removing them the transformer should work loose as the right-angles securing the it to the base are only held on at the end of the frames as part of final assembly.

These are the nuts at right angles to the bolts securing the transformer to the plate. Don't worry, the bobbin will hold the transformer together, it won't fall apart or anything.

Someone posted in the modding thread that he hammered it out and broke the plank and later put in a toroidal x'mer on a new plank and fitted that back. :)

Something like that iirc. :p

And if i dare ask, what are you trying to do Rave saar and why? :gap:

If you are swapping the transformer, moving it outside the sub can't hurt, as long as you use sufficiently thick wire :)

some advantages like less hum etc

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Someone posted in the modding thread that he hammered it out and broke the plank and later put in a toroidal x'mer on a new plank and fitted that back. :)

Something like that iirc. :p

And if i dare ask, what are you trying to do Rave saar and why? :gap:

Trying to replace the fuse which is blown, i think, if not then the transformer itself is gone...

btw, can anyone give me the rail diagram for the power supply line that feeds to the motherboard?

Back