CPU/Mobo Urgent help required for intel xeon processor!

drsingh

Adept
Hi guys,
posting after a long time. im going to build a pc in the near future. I will be using some existing parts. but this query is about an immediate opportunity that will expire soon.

I have an option to buy an intel xeon e3 1220 which i think is sandy bridge for 8.5 k
is it a good option for the price? This link puts it on par with 4670K

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E3-1230-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4670K

This looks good to me cause the build will be more geared towards photo/video editing.

Thanks for taking a look!

It's not on par with the 4670k, not too far behind either, but at nearly half the price, its very good value. I hope there isn't a catch since even the LGA 1155 socket is fairly recent and still in circulation.

Also please do not reference CPUboss. They base their findings not on benchmarks conducted by themselves, but randomly acquired from other sites. There is a very obvious mistake in their passmark scores.

Thanks for the quick reply. Where should I look for a reliable comparative summary of the two processors?

The catch is that it is OEM supply with 1 year warranty.

Thats not a deal breaker. CPUs rarely fail. I guess you won't get a bundled heatsink, but you can pick a better third party heatsink instead.

Just to clarify - are you talking about the E3 1220 or the E3 1230? The E3 1220 will be equivalent to an i5 2400, has no hyper-threading, and will be atleast 10~15% behind. The E3 1230 will be closer to an i7 2600, which should be better than the 4670k in apps that make use of the hyper-threading (like video encoding).

Back