Video USB extender for LED TV

pillainp

Disciple
I have a 32" Samsung UA32D6000SR LED TV which I have wall-mounted using the provided Samsung "Ultra-Slim Wall Mount" that came with the TV.

However, I am now facing a problem with respect to USB Flash drives.

The slim profile (about 1" thick) of the TV means that there is very little space between it and the wall, and I have to disturb it (physically lift and turn) every time I want to plug in a USB flash drive. This worries me that I might damage the wall mounting system, perhaps causing the TV to fall off it. Plus the TV tilts every time and I have to correct it.

Does anyone know:
1) Whether this TV will accept a USB hub like the ones used with PC's.

2) Whether a short USB extender cable can be used with the TV to make it easier to connect flash drives

I hav LED UA40B7000..... and an USB Hub as well as USB extender cord works on it...... But u should not connect more than 1 drive to the USB Hub or else the TV wont recognize it..... Just with 1 drive connected to the HUb it will work on the TV........ so its better to hav a USB extender cord....

Seeing this same problem on many lcd tv's. Can't understand how stupidly these tv's were designed. They should have put the ports on bottom part of bezel so that they are accessible without too much trouble. Even the hdmi ports, av ports are a pain once the tv is mounted to the wall. Maybe the wall mount should be changed to something that extends a foot away from the wall and does not rotate freely.

@OP, you might need to get a USB 2.0 A-Male to A-Female extension cable. That might work.

^^^

True...... designing could hav been better

Though to think abt it....... the bottom ports would be a problem for stand setup...... we wont be abt to look exactly where the ports r

I am in a similar dilemma. I am thinking of getting a Sony EX 410 LED TV but it has only 2 HDMI ports and both of them are in the rear. Now I will wall mount this TV but I am afraid that after Wall mounting the rear ports won't be accessible. What should I do? Is an HDMI extender the only option? Is the extender available locally?

Well, I bought a Kingston 19-in1 memory card reader FCR-HS219/1 for Rs. 850/. The device comes with a 3" cable attached, and the package includes a 3-foot-long USB extender cable as well. I have thus literally scored two birds with one stone.

I am pleased to report that both the card-reader and the USB extender cable work perfectly with the Samsung UA32D6000SR.

Unfotrunately, I only have SD cards with me, so I cannot check whether the TV is able to detect multiple cards plugged into the card-reader simultaneously. In Windows 7, however, the reader displays 4-5 icons in Explorer at all times, one for each media type. These icons are always present whether that media type is loaded or not.

Yes, it should be able to detect those cards as when i connect my camera to the TV using USB, it shows both the internal memory as well as the SD card too.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Bluffmaster said:
I am in a similar dilemma. I am thinking of getting a Sony EX 410 LED TV but it has only 2 HDMI ports and both of them are in the rear. Now I will wall mount this TV but I am afraid that after Wall mounting the rear ports won't be accessible. What should I do? Is an HDMI extender the only option? Is the extender available locally?

Buy angled HDMI cables, i got one and it is used to connect either my lappie or desktop to the TV. Cost was 500 bucks after discount from ebay last year. Will be getting another for the TBP TV too.

Quick update:

With my older Card Reader (a Chinese brand) that can only read one card at a time, the TV also only reads one card. It will not detect the reader at all if more than one card is plugged in simultaneously.

With my new Kingston FCR-HS219/1, the TV will recognise multiple cards simultaneously, and list them in the source list as FCR-HS219/1, FCR-HS219/2, etc.

pillainp said:
Quick update:

With my older Card Reader (a Chinese brand) that can only read one card at a time, the TV also only reads one card. It will not detect the reader at all if more than one card is plugged in simultaneously.

With my new Kingston FCR-HS219/1, the TV will recognise multiple cards simultaneously, and list them in the source list as FCR-HS219/1, FCR-HS219/2, etc.

thts correct! Mine too doesnt detect more than 1 usb drive on the usb hub.......

this is not a problem...... more like a h/w limitation on the samsung usb port or driver......

I have bought a Samsung 26inches Series 4 LCD TV, the ports are located Side and hence i have not faced any problem with Wall Mount :bleh:

Any of you guys tried a USB hub?The USB port at the back of my LED TV works perfectly for USBs or external harddrives. I bought a croma usb hub and connected my hard drive through it. No luck!

Please do NOT do this.
if you plug a high amp device to your TV thru USB then the device may tax the motherboard and overheat the internals. a powered USB hub will provide required current to operate your devices (hard disks) and spare the motherboard from current draw.

theoretically, not using a powered hub with a mechanical hard disk can destroy the TV motherboard.

what kind of hub problems are you pointing to?

Any cheap USB extension cable will give you a 1:1 access to the USB ports.
Some LED TVs do support USB hub function but its not enabled by default. Search WRT your TV Model no.
I have a LG 42 LW 5700 LED TV. It has 2 USB ports. One is always used by its magic mouse and other is used by WiFi dongle. So I searched and found a hidden service menu which allows the setting to be changed making one of those USB ports to act like a HUB. SO now I can connect a USB hub (both powered and non powered) and it works just fine.
I have many a times used my 2TB external powered HDD directly with the TV's USB port. I dont think it will cause any issues. It should not :)

SHIT... Just noticed somebody revived an OLD VERY OLD thread.... :(

Any cheap USB extension cable will give you a 1:1 access to the USB ports.
Some LED TVs do support USB hub function but its not enabled by default. Search WRT your TV Model no.
I have a LG 42 LW 5700 LED TV. It has 2 USB ports. One is always used by its magic mouse and other is used by WiFi dongle. So I searched and found a hidden service menu which allows the setting to be changed making one of those USB ports to act like a HUB. SO now I can connect a USB hub (both powered and non powered) and it works just fine.
I have many a times used my 2TB external powered HDD directly with the TV's USB port. I dont think it will cause any issues. It should not :)

SHIT... Just noticed somebody revived an OLD VERY OLD thread.... :(

That somebody was me :p.
Hidden service menu thing is very interesting. What I bought is the LG 42LB5610.

if you plug a high amp device to your TV thru USB then the device may tax the motherboard and overheat the internals. a powered USB hub will provide required current to operate your devices (hard disks) and spare the motherboard from current draw.

theoretically, not using a powered hub with a mechanical hard disk can destroy the TV motherboard.

what kind of hub problems are you pointing to?
Even I dont understand why will a powered USB hub tax the TV motherboard. In that case, no one would use an Amp or receiver along with a TV. But everyone does.[DOUBLEPOST=1403766904][/DOUBLEPOST]
That somebody was me :p.
Hidden service menu thing is very interesting. What I bought is the LG 42LB5610.

Dude .. where is that setting. would the TV manual have this?

Dude .. where is that setting. would the TV manual have this?
Google "enable USB hub on LG Led TV service menu" you will find plenty of videos. Most of them in non english language. but key thing is
1) The default password. (For my model it was not 0000. it was something 0416 or something dont recall exactly.
2) The menu option in the service menu to enable the bit for USB hub support.

Some universal remotes can be used to bring up the service menu. There is also a paid app for enabling this.
The LG remote cannot bring up the service menu.
I had called the LG technician for wall mounting the TV and he had a service remote which I used to bring up the service menu and enable the settings.

Back