WTB USB PIC Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to build it yourself then.
extremeelectronics charges Rs.999 for the product. But with the shipping cost, it will exceed Rs.1000 easily.

1. store.extremeelectronics.co.in/eXtreme-Burner-PIC.html

2. Microchip PIC Programmers : :+: [url]www.onlineTPS.com - Electronics and Robotics Components Shop - India, Components at your Doorstep - Satisfaction Guaranteed[/url]

Check out the products at ventor.co.in, embeddedmarket.com, probots.co.in too.
I did not get time to check all of those.

If you want to build it yourself and need schematics, do let me know.

If you want to build it yourself and need schematics, do let me know.

Most programmers uses a pic/atmel, which is difficult for me. But if the schematic is simple, i will give it a try. plz send its schematic. thanks in advance.

Most programmers uses a pic/atmel, which is difficult for me. But if the schematic is simple, i will give it a try. plz send its schematic. thanks in advance.

You cannot build a programmer without a controller.

For what purpose will you be using the programmer?
Are you starting out with microcontrollers? Or is it for something else?
Do you have access to any other microcontroller board(e.g an Arduino)?

You cannot build a programmer without a controller.

For what purpose will you be using the programmer?
Are you starting out with microcontrollers? Or is it for something else?
Do you have access to any other microcontroller board(e.g an Arduino)?

Yes, i have access to arduino. But i want to construct standalone circuits for various applications. A cheap pic like 16f84 will suffice most of them. That's why i am looking for programmer.
I had build one working on serial port, but its broken now. is it possible to use icsp on arduino to program other avrs?

Yes, i have access to arduino. But i want to construct standalone circuits for various applications. A cheap pic like 16f84 will suffice most of them. That's why i am looking for programmer.
I had build one working on serial port, but its broken now. is it possible to use icsp on arduino to program other avrs?

A PIC12 programmer from an Arduino « Reenigne blog [for 12F series]
Arduino can program PIC too! [for 16F series]
https://sites.google.com/site/thehighspark/arduino-pic18f [for 18F series]
Using an ATmega8 to program PIC24FJ chips [for 24J series] [not direct application of Arduino, but Arduino can be used]

If you want to buy a PICKit 2 Clone [i.e USB PIC programmer], here is another link: OEM - Microchip USB PIC Microcontroller Programmer [ Model V ] | eBay [but this is being sold by Lynx. Read up on Lynx India and Amarbir before you buy. Even though this is Ebay, which will protect the buyer, do study all about him from TE and Thinkdigit forum]

By the way, why do you want to work with PIC?
Since you already have an Arduino, you can use it as an AVR programmer using this: Arduino - ArduinoISP
[this is a very famous sketch. Even though the page says that it works with Atmega168 and 328, I think it works well with Atmega8 also since all AVR Atmega's have the same internal architecture and hence their programming methodology is also same IMHO. This is unlike the PIC's whose architecture varies a lot even between IC's of same series]

And if you want to buy a standalone AVR programmer, you can get one for less than Rs.500 from ventor.co.in, onlinetps.com and the other sites that I had mentioned in the first post.

Old PIC's had some strange requirements like the 12V input at specific pins and so the PIC programmers cost a lot more. AVR's work totally using only 5V. So the programmer circuit is very easy.

P.S: You can use your Arduino code in standalone applications too. Just upload the code, take out the uC and put it in the standalone circuit.

A cheap pic like 16f84 will suffice most of them.

16F84 has become obsolete a long time ago. And are you going to program in assembly language? It has only 1kB of program memory. I have never used the PIC C compilers and so don't know how good they are at producing optimised code. But other than very simple applications, the code size will exceed 1 kB very easily.

AVR's were optimised for C language.
I love the Atmega8. Costs around Rs.80-120[price fluctuates a lot based on availability].
8kB program memory. 28 pin package[neither too big a package nor too small].

The first Arduino was based on the Atmega8. Later on they moved over to the 168 and 328. So most of the Arduino code can be run on Atmega8[only interrupts cannot be used so easily. The interrupts on atmega8 are different than those on 168/328]

Unless you need some specific peripheral[like USB HID property of PIC 18F2550/4550 or special PWM modes], Atmega8 will suffice all your needs.

16F84 has become obsolete a long time ago. And are you going to program in assembly language? It has only 1kB of program memory. I have never used the PIC C compilers and so don't know how good they are at producing optimised code. But other than very simple applications, the code size will exceed 1 kB very easily.

AVR's were optimised for C language.
I love the Atmega8. Costs around Rs.80-120[price fluctuates a lot based on availability].
8kB program memory. 28 pin package[neither too big a package nor too small].

The first Arduino was based on the Atmega8. Later on they moved over to the 168 and 328. So most of the Arduino code can be run on Atmega8[only interrupts cannot be used so easily. The interrupts on atmega8 are different than those on 168/328]

Unless you need some specific peripheral[like USB HID property of PIC 18F2550/4550 or special PWM modes], Atmega8 will suffice all your needs.

Never used an AVR directly before. used to program pic using mikroc pro. plz suggest a good c compiler for avr.

Never used an AVR directly before. used to program pic using mikroc pro. plz suggest a good c compiler for avr.

I use AVR Studio : Atmel Studio- Atmel Corporation
[I use v4.18. In the link you will find v6, the latest version which I feel is too bloated. I still use the older version. If you can find a download link for v4, do download it from there.]

And Win AVR : WinAVR - Browse Files at SourceForge.net

Install WinAVR only if you use an AVR Studio v4 or lower. Newer versions of AVR Studio has a compiler inbuilt.

A nice tutorial : http://www.microdigitaled.com/AVR/Software/CprogrammingInAVRStudio.pdf

By the way, MicroE has a version for AVR too : mikroC PRO for AVR - C compiler for Atmel AVR microcontrollers

Browse this place for more info/tutorials : Index :: AVR Freaks
This is the place to be if you are using AVR's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back