Android USB playback volume low

dpandey

Adept
I am trying to play music from my LG v30 using an OTG cable and a DAC (which supports Android). The volume is very low. I had the same problem with Linux but readjusting the volume in alsamixer fixed it.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea on how to fix it.

Last edited:
what dac? Are you trying to play music through external speakers connected to the dac?
Volume is probably not line level on the LG if volume is low. Most phones have this problem. Even my Redmi Note 5 has this problem. Volume in headphones and speakers is low but very loud in earphones.

Are you trying to play music through external speakers connected to the dac?
Its a DAC+Headamp with a USB input.

Mobile -- USB OTG Cable --> DAC Amp --> High Imedance headphones

Volume is probably not line level on the LG if volume is low. Most phones have this problem. Even my Redmi Note 5 has this problem. Volume in headphones and speakers is low but very loud in earphones.

Headphones are not connected to the phone. Android is probably applying some volume control to the PCM stream.

Last edited:
Last edited:
250 and 300 (same behaviour for both).
Post automatically merged:

From what I understood, it won't work for youtube videos. Seems to be a standalone player for stored music.

I am trying to build a lightweight setup for listening to youtube/podcasts.

Do you have a low impedance headphone ( 80 - 200 ) to test. Have you tested iem's / earphones to see if you get higher volume ?
Do you have another source to check for the setup

Do you have another source to check for the setup

Yes. When I connect the DAC to my laptop running Windows 10, the volume levels are fine. I also connected the coax input to an audio streamer and the volume levels were similar to the laptop.

I then connected the RCA out of the DAC to amp+speakers. There is clear difference between Android and Windows 10. When playing from Android, I have to turn the amplifier volume knob to 3 O'clock to get to normal listening levels.

There is an alsamixer app for Android, but it has not been updated in 4 years.

Last edited:

Bought the app. I played around with some settings in the app and now even the youtube playback volume has become normal. Looks like it tweaked some mixer configurations.

Rs 350 well spent.

EDIT: The celebration was premature. The volume change lasts as long as the OTG cable is connected. When I remove and reconnect the OTG cable, the volume goes back to low.

If I want to play youtube, I have to execute the following sequence
- Connect the OTG cable
- Start the USB audio player pro app.
- Play something for 10 secs.
- Exit the app
- Start youtube.

I would consider this a minor annoyance. I can live with it.

How do the earphones sound connected directly to the headphone jack?

DAC on the V30 is pretty decent. You could use it that way without the external DAC

The built in DAC is decent. I have used it for about a year. The external DAC+Amp just makes everything better.

The phone cost about $600 when it was released. Even if 20% of price was for audio, we are still talking at $120 DAC/AMP. In audio world, that would be entry level.

Last edited:
The external DAC+Amp just makes everything better.

The phone cost about $600 when it was released. Even if 20% of price was for audio, we are still talking at $120 DAC/AMP. In audio world, that would be entry level.
Which external DAC are you using and how much did it cost ?

Do let us know which DAC you are using. I have HD650 which are 300ohm as well and have been contemplating what to get for it this past week or so.
I have been intrigued by the newly launched LG G8X because of the affordable dual screen. However the GSMArena review mentions that the volume output is lower on the G8X despite the quad-DAC activated. So I will definitely have to buy an amp for the HD650 whereas I could probably just buy a nice new or used DAC/Amp for half the price. Currently looking at the following :
1) New iFi Nano xDSD BL for 16k
2) New Chord Mojo for 25k
3) Used iFi Micro xDSD BL for 27.5k

The best option seems to be the used Micro as it is the best of the lot. If wanting to go for new, the Nano does 80% of what the Micro does. The Chord Mojo is critically acclaimed but has major issues with being used with a mobile phone due to EMI and would have to be used with either laptop or a DAP for those reasons.

I have HD650 which are 300ohm as well and have been contemplating what to get for it this past week or so.

I have tested HD650 with my LG v30. They sound flat and boring. HD650s need more power.

So I will definitely have to buy an amp for the HD650 whereas I could probably just buy a nice new or used DAC/Amp for half the price. Currently looking at the following :
1) New iFi Nano xDSD BL for 16k
2) New Chord Mojo for 25k
3) Used iFi Micro xDSD BL for 27.5k

For electronics in this price range, I would suggest you look up audio science review. Amir uses a HD650 for his listening tests.

Last edited:
Back