Car & Bike [USED CAR]:Indica Xeta or Diesel Model?

cool_cat

Adept
I am buying a used car for my personal use.I got around 1.7lakhs budget and want a tata indica for small distance commuting.Which one will you suggest.One offer was for xeta(petrol) model ,which many says is not worth...:bleh:
So ,DLS is what I should look for?Which model will come under my budget?anything I must check?

For short distances and short hops its better to avoid a diesel and go for a petrol.

i feel you should stick with the xeta. The older indica v2 diesels (the ones without the flared wheel arches) had a lot of problems. I had one for about four years, and it was trouble from start to finish. I did see a few from the same year that were fine, but they were in the minority, and id suggest you dont take the chance with those older v2s in the chance that you get a lemon.The newer diesels seemed to have dealt with their build quality issues to some extent. So, if the diesels youre looking at are from that generation or later, then you should be good. But if youre driving short distances, id still recommend the xeta.

low mileage diesel indicas are hard to find , and high mileage ones have been abused and the older ones are nowhere as good as the new ones.

the xeta's resale value drops like a rock, so provided you know a good mechanic who is familiar with petrol indica's , get the xeta's

PS: why not a polio?

whaow!:evil: @greenhorn:you suggested a palio! ?

Diesel Indicas which ran short distances are available especially in rubber "infested" areas of kerala ,where they simbbly buy it without thinking of the acutal usage :p. yeah ,the price is around 3lakhs :(

Xeta - I lost one good option sometime back .Now ,I am searching for one.if needed ,will increase the budget to 2lakhs.waiting for next year ,as used cars on December bought means 1 year more old in a matter of 10 days ;) .

Xeta - 1.4litre model - from which year onwards it started production?2005?

well, if I were to buy a second hand , I'd rather buy a polio. you just cant trust the average indica owner. on the other hand, most palio owners love their car ;)

the indica 1.4 has been around for ages. the 1.2 is a recent addition !

guys ,I am buying a 2002 2nd month indica DLE Red Colour ,Ernakulam Reg ,Single Owner ,Engine work done for Rupees 1lakh30thousand .exchanging my current maruti 800 car(1997) and 70K.

Yeah ,it is diesel.but too hard to leave this one although I hate the red colour. :( .Will update with Pictures soon.

a Lakh Plus obviously ,hence the engine overhaul in diesel cars.yes ,bought the car. :| got oil changed ,coolant topped .Currently ,feels the car is good and fine.

DLE ? ouch , no power steering. see if you can get it retrofitted

maroon or bright red ? I love the bright red. it wasnt available in 2007 when i bought mine ( was available till 2006, and then from 2008 onwards :mad: )

nice price. good luck with the car. Without the powersteering, your arms are going to be the pride of kerala in a couple of months :p

greenhorn said:
bright red

YES.

Grease Monk said:
nice price. good luck with the car. Without the powersteering, your arms are going to be the pride of kerala in a couple of months

:D .yeah ,already used to driving a DLE ,so no problem.also ,I desperately need a BIG car(as in space) .

@chaos :no yaar.I inquired ,it is like they do some work like timing chain replacement ,valve seatings ,compression test etc.rebore diesel engine? :rofl:

Well ,they put sleeves and new piston in such extreme cases.but with a 70000 plus run Indica diesel ,anyways your engine will be in the path to more weakness.but with overhaul ,here in my case owned by a doctor who used it neatly ,the piston rings are changed.that usually fixes the problem.IF we drive a car ,through small bendy pothole filled roads(not a rare thing in kerala!) ,you can get the condition of the car 60%.Obviously ,I called my mechanic friends who took the car for few rides and checked there to inform me the condition.no head aches with regard to Engine.Only problem with Indica ,I feel is the niggling door beading,window glass holder setup needs frequent replacement if not well maintained.

Thanks everyone.I think this will be enough for me currently.will post the picture today.

do post some pix :D

the niggling door beading,window glass holder setup needs frequent replacement if not well maintained.

tell me about it :lol:

had mine replaced under warranty, still no luck. the only solution is to wind up the windows a certain way :p

here are the pics.took yesterday early morning:bleh: ,before going to church.I definitely wasn't liking that bright red colour.but ,now trying my best.:)

IMG_1219.JPG

^you can see the crib on the side ;)

how can you not like that red. I wish we could swap our car's colours :mad: I just Looooove that red - Its tata's limited edition red , available only on turbo and dicor indicas

PS: the rear says its a DLS , and the taillamps seem to have been replaced with the newer 2004-06 style lamps. By default , the reverse light on only one side works , just check if its like that . its only a minor job to get both sides working ( the other side wil be brighter - its actually a foglamp)

and planning to add a left ORVM?

Congrats seems to be in decent shape at least looking at exterior.Time for you to upgrade tyres now

is it just the pic or is the left rim bent slightly

Back