USPS & Indian Customs

Channu

Adept
I ordered two Evo 970 Pro and a Fire TV from USA but sadly it couldn't be tagged along with someone travelling to India so it was put in a parcel box and sent to India by USPS.
It arrived in India and in is stuck in customs with only update on tracking showing as "Held with Customs" simce last 20 days in SJ sorting center in Delhi.

I've got a number for Indian post custom department which no one bothers to answer. What should I do now ?

We have had numerous other things coming in via USPS and used to cleared up automatically without any intervention and hardly any custom charges except on an occasion or two but this time it seems to be in a soup.

If you are from Delhi, the only thing you can do for now is - directly go to the customs office/sorting facility.

Talk to a peon and get hold of someone who can find your parcels and put it on front of the customs officer/clerk.

They will then take out their textbooks to figure out the total cost of duties. Sorry bro, but looks like you will have to pay the applicable duties.

Atleast that's what I did when a parcel of mine got stuck at Mumbai airport customs few years ago.

So I finally got in touch with an Additional Commissioner at Customs who helped in getting the package released and handed over to my friend in a shorter than expected time of approximately 3 hours :bag:

He had to visit Foreign post office in Delhi near ITO. Total valuation came to approx 24K for a Evo 970 256Gb, a 970 Pro 512GB & Fire TV 4K stick. Ended up paying Rs 9400 as duty :hungover::hungover:

But finally after 2.5 months I finally can remove the bicycle tires from my laptop & give it car tires that it always deserved :)

Back