UT Codename "Envy"

Metallus

Disciple
Powered by Epic's Unreal 3 engine, the next-gen Unreal Tournament was announced a while back. Most of the features will be announced in the May 05 issue of Computer Gaming World. Here's a rundown of the known features:
General

"Envy" is Epic's code name for the next UT.

Expect UT2004's "bounciness" to be toned down in the next UT.

The double-jump is back.

It is possible that "Envy" will not be called "Unreal Tournament 2006" or "Unreal Tournament 2007".

The game will focus on AI, specifically voice-controlled AI.

As with many UT2004 levels, the layout of maps in the next UT is being finalized before artwork is incorporated.

The game will feature a global ratings system that will allow clans to compare scores.

Gametypes include Onslaught, DM, TDM, CTF, and the all-new Conquest mode. It appears that Assault, Bombing Run and Domination have been dropped.

Project Leads

Steve Polge - Lead Designer

Jim Brown - Lead Level Designer
Vehicles

Nine 'Axon' vehicles taken from UT2004: ECE

The Scorpion buggy now comes with an XMP-style rocket booster, as well as an 'eject' button which turns it into a self-destructing bomb.

Scorpion now features Rocket Launchers instead of UT2004's energy web.

Goliath tank may feature destructable treads this time around.

Nine new Necris vehicles
Weapons

Rocket Launcher

Flak Cannon

Redeemer

Link Gun

Shock Rifle

AVRiL

Sniper Rifle

Dual Enforcers

Stinger (from Unreal 1 and Unreal Championship 2, replaces the Minigun)

Canister Gun (houses Grenade Launcher, Mine Layer, Bio Rifle)
Conquest Gametype Information

Features eight teams, each with unique armor.

Conquest maps are "potentially as large as three onslaught maps with assault-like objectives and even a form of limited resource management planned"

"there may be the option to treat a conquest match like a long term war, so you can play, take a break, and then go back and play more later"

"you can use your stats to find similarly abled opponents"

"pre-game lobbies" will be present in some form

"clan pages and other sites will be able to be viewed from within the game"

"conquest will take advantage of the Unreal Engine 3's ability to seamlessly stream maps by putting you in a battlefield the size of several maps stitched together"

"players will battle on one of two teams, each sides terriroty will look physically different, as you take a territory it will convert to the otherteams structures and physical surroundings"

"conquest should appeal to a wider gaming audience and provide a place where longer-term strategy, teamwork, and face-to-face fragging all meet"
Teams

Nakhti (Egyptians from UC2)

Necris

Juggernauts

The Corrupt

Iron Guard

Krall

Jacob's Team (Marines?)

"Player's Team" (Unnamed)
Quotes (taken from Computer Gaming World article)
"Actually, we don't think 2K4 was very successful [...] It wasn't a bad game... I just wish it could have been a better game than it was." - Steve Polge
"We've paid [...] a lot of attention to what the guys in the community are saying, and we take that feedback to heart." - Jim Brown
"The original Unreal Tournament was on the threshold of being a great game. If we had done 2K4 without having to feel kind of in the box of what we had started in 2K3, I think it would have been a much better game than it was." - Steve Polge
"[In UT2004] you miss the feeling you get from being in someone's face and fighting with them." - Jeff Morris
Attached some scans, most look crappy though.

Attachments

• envy1.jpg
    envy1.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 172
  • envy2.jpg
    envy2.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 171
  • envy3.jpg
    envy3.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 166
  • envy4.jpg
    envy4.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 167
  • ut3_malcolm.jpg
    ut3_malcolm.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 193
It's not so much that Epic doesn't like it...

It kinda went like this:

Unreal had a sniper rifle, and people were cool with it.

UT had a sniper rifle, and at first people were cool with it. Then UT becomes mega-popular, and the concentration of annoying campers, and people who whine about annoying campers increases drastically.

The whiners start to complain, "Waaaah! The sniper is too powerful because campers keep blowing off my head!"

Epic goes, "AHA! Let us turn the sniper rifle in to a LIGHTNING GUN so that campers can't hide with it!"

The campers/UT nostalgic-types go, "Waaaah! Where is my sniper rifle I HATES UNREAL TORNOMINT 20003 AND YUO EPIG!!!"

Epic goes, "AHA! Let us put the sniper rifle back IN to UT2004, but let's make it annoyingly ineffectual for UT2004 deathmatch, and give it a goofy puff of smoke for balance!"

So the campers/nostalgic-types are like, "Waaah, give us a true Unreal sniper rifle, you know, the one that is insanely overpowered, yet undetectable!" and the hardcore DMer's are like, "Waaaah! Now Deck 17 sucks!"

So Epic goes, "AHA! Let us get back to our roots and get rid of the lightning gun!"

And now the UT2k3/4 dudes go, "Waaaaah! The sniper isn't 'Unreal!' Bring back the Lightning Gun!!!"

And Epic goes, "AHA! Let us take our cyanide capsules and embrace the sweet release only death can bring!"

And everybody goes, "OMG SUICIDE XPLOIT EPIC PLZ FIX!!!!"

Thus the circle of life is complete.
Epic, IMO shud sit and make a good bunch of maps that play well(With or without eyecandy, doesnt matter to me, 90% of the current maps are eyecandy anyway) instead of going arnd and splitting the UT community with 100s of gametypes :\

It's wonderful just how much of a balancing feat the railgun truly is.

Almost every longranged heavy damage weapon has been whined about and rightly so.
awm, sniper rifle, lightning rifle...

gr8 info and all but u missed the main pont..wht are the system requirments for the game...and aces i dont think anything will b able 2 match up to cpma's 1 on 1...:D

Hey nice find Hool, lol yeah Malcolm does need sunglasses. I don't think the SysReqs are known yet Ice cause the release date is set for 'somewhere' in 06 - 07 :S . And we have yet to see any officially announced game running on Unreal engine 3.

Back