Vaio E vs Inspiron 5050

mithun

Adept
Got to get a lappy for my sister tomorrow. The budget is at 40k max, the lower the merrier.
Usage pattern : Browsing, MS Office, Movies, other general usage.
The search has been narrowed down to the following 2 models :

1.Sony Vaio E Series : Sony VAIO E Series VPCEH35EN Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Sony Notebook

2. Dell Inspiron 5050 : Dell Inspiron 5050 2nd Gen Core i3/ 4 GB/ 500 GB/ Win7 HB: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Dell Notebook

Other requirements : Pre-loaded MS Windows 7. Good A$$.

The Dell has advantages in specs, like double the ram, more HDD space, .1" bigger screen estate, etc. There are much cheaper alternatives with the same specs as well (without OS). However, i'm having a hard time making my sis look away from that white VAIO:annoyed:.

I request fellow TEians to put their valuable inputs with regards to the feasibility (advantages/disadvantages) of the models listed above.
Misc queries : Do i get that upgrade to Win8 for a tiny sum if i buy the above models with Win7 now? How do i make sure? Need any separate receipt/acknowledgement slip for that?

Thanks.

+1 to above suggestion

And also yes you can get a Windows 8 upgrade for 699 when you buy a new Win 7 notebook. You just need to register on Microsoft India Win8 upgrade promotion page.

Thanks. One question though. The VAIO model link i posted has a GT410 Nvidia graphics card, whereas the newer one suggested has an onboard intel gma solution. Would that be a big differentiating factor? Or am i better of avoiding nvidia's mobile gpus? Reliability vs 3d performance...any pointers? Special thanks for the Win8 upgrade guideline.

^
There is almost no difference in performance between GT410M and Intel HD3000. For gaming the GT410M is slightly better. 2-5 fps more on average,

Back