Validity discrepancy on prepaid recharge

blr_p

Skilled
Wanted to recharge a 3g plan on airtel here in karnataka.

RC145 on airtels site says 28 days validity.

when i went to a local shop and had it done i find out its only 21 days of validity. When i ask the guy in the shop about it he says airtel has reduced the validity. When i called up airtel's CC they confirm the plan is still 28 days. So when i spoke to a supervisor he said they have used ezrecharge, i don't know what recharge site the shop used. But i ended up with 7 days less validity on my plan because i did not use airtel's recharge which in fact is easy and can be done via USSD provided enough prepaid balance is in the account.

Am surprised that there is a difference in what you get using 3rd party sources in case of some plans. The supervisor said he could not do anything but advised to check validity before recharge. In reality it means check airtels terms for the plan and then compare.

Do these online recharge sites play around with validity as well ?

Now a days 2G/3G recharge from A-VO-ID below 175 Denomination have 21 Days Validity. I am not sure who gives what, but if you stop using your mobile for 2-3 months operator will flood you with Good offers on your balance USSD such as RC 64 - 500Mb 3G, 30 days validity.

I think Airtel CC is deflecting blame. This is the first time I am hearing that recharge done via online portal has different validity than done directly from USSD.
But Airtel always had a problem with online recharge websites.

I suggest you escalate the matter and ask to speak with the CC's supervisor. You can always go for the Telecom Nodal Officer if your problem is not resolved.

If you can, go down to an Airtel Relationship Centre and talk with them face to face.

Show them the recharge sms and then their website and ask why you got less validity. The recharge sms will show the amount which was recharged.

I think Airtel CC is deflecting blame. This is the first time I am hearing that recharge done via online portal has different validity than done directly from USSD.
This is not online portal, i went to a shop on the street and paid for the recharge. I don't know what he used but think it must be some online portal. Will have to ask him, doubt he will tell me though.

But there should not be any difference. So the shop guy in a way is innocent.

USSD menu shows 28 days, recharge sms from the shop shows 21 days. Curiously, some of these data packs do not cut you off once you exceed the data but deduct from your prepaid balance at much higher rates. These detail was only visible in the USSD menu.

Another common excuse they use is website is showing outdated tariffs, well, whose fault is that. So anybody can give any answer and there is no accountability.

I suggest you escalate the matter and ask to speak with the CC's supervisor. You can always go for the Telecom Nodal Officer if your problem is not resolved.
I did, a day ago, airtel credited me with 12MB and then said contact the appelate authority if not satisified. Had they just increased validity that would have been good enough.

If you can, go down to an Airtel Relationship Centre and talk with them face to face. Show them the recharge sms and then their website and ask why you got less validity. The recharge sms will show the amount which was recharged.
They will say had I done it here there would not be an issue. I will find out next month when data recharge comes up.

The shop is rather incompetent the CC gets me to a supervisor and generally resolves the issue. Still will give it a shot.

Last edited:
@blr_p It does not depend on the website which he used for recharging. It should be same for both USSD and online recharge.

Look at the recharge confirmation sms. You will get the recharge amount from there. Do make sure that your retailer has used the proper recharge amount.

I always use *121# then option 5 to recharge 3g. Amount will be deducted from main balance. And use *123*83# or *123*11# or *129*08# to check remaining balance. Different codes for different plans.

Let's try this one again. I go to the shop, ask for RC145, i get an SMS that looks like this..
uCmtVy4l.png

And use *123*83# or *123*11# or *129*08# to check remaining balance. Different codes for different plans.

PPU9vE9l.png

I always use *121# then option 5 to recharge 3g. Amount will be deducted from main balance.
Later I then get curious and decide to check out *121# option 5 and after a few 00- next i get to option 17

GZYqOell.png

Wondering why there is a gap i call up airtel's CC and they say i will get a 'recharge benefit' and if not happy then go talk to the appelate authority and i get the foll sms the next day

cWnaFo0l.png

When i check balance after i see this

aGjUFGT.png

You don't get this message using *123*11# which still shows 499MB, instead you have to enable mobile data and then disconnect, Its a little different USSD message that gets sent automatically when you quit 3g.

@blr_p It does not depend on the website which he used for recharging. It should be same for both USSD and online recharge.
Right, RC145 should be RC145 from anyone but airtel confirms this plan is 28 days validity.

Last edited:
Going to airtel CC or appelate authority or anybody is a waste of time. They will make us go in circles without any reasonable solution. They wont change their system, even if they find why it happened. Better leave it at that and use *121# then 5 in future. I found offers on *121# then option 2 are better than any other. And use paytm/freecharge for topping up main balance whenever there is an offer ;). Just 10 days back or so there was 50% cashback on Citibank card. Made 660 topup using Rs360/- approx. (220+220+220-100-100-100)

Just checked the validity on 3 online portals for RC145 in karnataka

paytm & mobiquik say validity is 21 days (even ireff shows the same)
ezrecharge says it is 28 days

so when it comes to this plan there is a difference. Airtel however still insists it is 28 days.

If you can, go down to an Airtel Relationship Centre and talk with them face to face.
Spoke to them and was told to do the first recharge with them which i will try when the current one expires. he said do it with them first and after try with USSD.

He showed me some internal portal that and said some plans are LAPU only whilst others were SMS too. This made no sense to me at all. But his doc said 28 days.

Back