- ftp
- PPoE
- 802.11n
- iptables
- dhcp
- wifi bridging, wds, etc support
- vlan, dot 1q
- 4 lan and 1 wan port

I know ddwrt supports all this. I am looking for hardware which can comfortably support this stuff.

Budget max 3-4k[DOUBLEPOST=1435484072][/DOUBLEPOST]Basically a device which could be called a replacement of... if a bananapi had headless linux installed with inbuilt wifi antenna etc.

Currently i have an athlon64 desktop running esxi which serves my media shares, does ad filtering, firewall, ppoe with the isp, nat, etc stuff. It has a wifi card which other ap/phone/pc/ps3/tv connect to get into Internet.

But, I don't know how much electricity this desktop is sucking 24x7. I would like to get some low powered cheapish device to offload these functions to. I have, now, a UPS dedicated, always on, for this function.

Last edited:
Suggestions please?
- Need openVPN, SD Card/USB drive support
- samba
- ftp
- PPoE
- 802.11n
- iptables
- dhcp
- wifi bridging, wds, etc support
- vlan, dot 1q
- 4 lan and 1 wan port

I know ddwrt supports all this. I am looking for hardware which can comfortably support this stuff.

Budget max 3-4k[DOUBLEPOST=1435484072][/DOUBLEPOST]Basically a device which could be called a replacement of... if a bananapi had headless linux installed with inbuilt wifi antenna etc.

Currently i have an athlon64 desktop running esxi which serves my media shares, does ad filtering, firewall, ppoe with the isp, nat, etc stuff. It has a wifi card which other ap/phone/pc/ps3/tv connect to get into Internet.

But, I don't know how much electricity this desktop is sucking 24x7. I would like to get some low powered cheapish device to offload these functions to. I have, now, a UPS dedicated, always on, for this function.

Firstly, I would like to point out that if you want to do something like the above on a single device at a low price point, you should avoid DD WRT. Its better to look at something else, specifically, Zentyal.

If you dont mind splitting the work amongst other devices - look at a combination of pfsense with other devices.

Either way, these are not going to be done on a router so cheap.

Back