Visa Signature - Denied compliemntary entry into Mumbai Airport lounge - How to complain?

pauldmps

Skilled
I had a 9 hour layover at Mumbai airport (connecting flight got delayed) on last Tuesday. So I thought of using my HDFC Regalia First Visa Signature Credit card to access the MALS lounge at T2. But at the reception I was told that they do not accept credit cards of any kind and never did since inception. The lounge is only meant for First class and Business class passengers.

But both Visa website and HDFC website mentions the lounge in its list.
https://www.hdfcbank.com/assets/pdf/Visa-Lounge-List.pdf - Sl. no. - 4
https://www.visa.co.in/content/dam/...ocuments/in-participating-airport-lounges.pdf Sl. no. - 18

I was alone and and did not have internet on my phone (lost my Indian sim card), and unsure of whether the lounge, HDFC or Visa was at fault on this, so I decided not to create any ruckus over there.

I feel that somebody needs to be held responsible and want to understand who is at fault here.
If the lounge does not allow Visa Signature cardholders, then this is false advertising on HDFC and Visa's part. If the lounge personnel lied, then they need to be held responsible.
What are my options?

I have many cards with lounge access but I have tried using only twice at delhi airport, went smoothly. It might be some other type of lounge ? In delhi airport that lounge is called Plaza Premiuum Lounge. I think in Mumbai it's called Carnations and Mumbai International it's called Clipper .

Source : https://www.cardexpert.in/complimentary-lounge-access-on-visa-signature-infinite-cards-india/

was that the one you went to ?

Btw if lounge denies access, call customer service of HDFC, They could have easily helped you out here. Lounge access is too much fun and relaxing.

I am sure it was the correct one. If you see the link that I provided, the location is mentioned as near Gate 44 & 45, take left from Starbucks. I went exactly there. I boarded on my flight from Gate 44.

The lounge names for Mumbai airport are weird. The same lounge is called Clipper, MALS and Loyalty lounge at different places.

Edit: Its mentioned as Loyalty lounge in CSIA official website. https://www.csia.in/atcsia/loyalty-lounges.aspx

I had a 9 hour layover at Mumbai airport (connecting flight got delayed) on last Tuesday. So I thought of using my HDFC Regalia First Visa Signature Credit card to access the MALS lounge at T2. But at the reception I was told that they do not accept credit cards of any kind and never did since inception. The lounge is only meant for First class and Business class passengers.

But both Visa website and HDFC website mentions the lounge in its list.
https://www.hdfcbank.com/assets/pdf/Visa-Lounge-List.pdf - Sl. no. - 4
https://www.visa.co.in/content/dam/...ocuments/in-participating-airport-lounges.pdf Sl. no. - 18

I was alone and and did not have internet on my phone (lost my Indian sim card), and unsure of whether the lounge, HDFC or Visa was at fault on this, so I decided not to create any ruckus over there.

I feel that somebody needs to be held responsible and want to understand who is at fault here.
If the lounge does not allow Visa Signature cardholders, then this is false advertising on HDFC and Visa's part. If the lounge personnel lied, then they need to be held responsible.
What are my options?
So there are 2 lounges at T2, very near to each other. One is a loyalty lounge, which used to accept Jet Privelege Platinum members and Business/FC travelers only earlier, and now it caters to just latter two. This is the first lounge you'll encounter after taking the left.
About a minute walk from there, further to the left, there's another lounge which caters to all card holders etc. That's the only you should have gone to.
Word of caution: The only decent lounge is the one where only BC/FC passengers are allowed, the CC one is pretty trash IMO. Not even comparable to PP lounges at Delhi, Bangalore etc. Pretty small.
You're better off not going to that lounge. Mumbai T2 is wonderfully planned and there are lots of empty spaces to relax.

Is that the case? I did ask the receptionist if there is any other lounge in that area, but she said no. Are you aware of the name of the lounge?

Is that the case? I did ask the receptionist if there is any other lounge in that area, but she said no. Are you aware of the name of the lounge?
The BC FC lounge is GVK lounge. The other one is run by Premium Plaza iirc. Don't remember the exact name if it's not PP. Been there just twice, and never again. Too claustrophobic.

I had the good luck to try GVK when Jet was solvent as i was Platinum member with them for many years. Hands down one of the best lounges in the world.

If you didn't encounter a long queue for entry probably you were at wrong lounge.
When you take left, the lounge on left side is the one that accepts credit cards for complimentary entry.

Yep, you were at the wrong lounge. Surprising that they did not tell you to go to the correct lounge :confused:
Post automatically merged:

The BC FC lounge is GVK lounge. The other one is run by Premium Plaza iirc. Don't remember the exact name if it's not PP. Been there just twice, and never again. Too claustrophobic.

I had the good luck to try GVK when Jet was solvent as i was Platinum member with them for many years. Hands down one of the best lounges in the world.

Yes, the CC one is too crowded and everything that you said is true, but I think the food/drink choices are far better than the GVK one. Been in GVK thrice.

Since ive never been to a lounge in airport what all is offered there? Free snacks ? Also Whats the annual fee of the CCs generally like which offer this facility ? I use a super cheap rs 500 a year CC so wanna know which cards give this facility.

Since ive never been to a lounge in airport what all is offered there? Free snacks ? Also Whats the annual fee of the CCs generally like which offer this facility ? I use a super cheap rs 500 a year CC so wanna know which cards give this facility.

Free snacks (chips, cookies and finger foods), drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), hot food (mains dishes), wi-fi, shower (in some lounges), massages (in some lounges), newspapers, magazines. They are usually useful if you have a long layover while catching a connecting flight.

I used to have a Priority Pass membership till last year - unlimited access to lounges worldwide. The best lounge I ever visited was in Bahrain. Huge variety of food and premium alcohol (JW Double Black, JD and Grey Goose).

[/QUOTE]

I have a HDFC Regalia First card which costs ₹1000 per year but is waived off if you spend more than ₹1lakh in a year. I believe there are other cheap cards in ₹1000-2500 range with such facilities from ICICI & Yes bank. Look for Visa Signature cards or MasterCard World cards.

Its mainly for those who have either arrived early OR have a layover. Rather than having to sit at the boarding gate, you can enjoy the benefits at the lounge.
Post automatically merged:

I have a HDFC Regalia First card which costs ₹1000 per year but is waived off if you spend more than ₹1lakh in a year. I believe there are other cheap cards in ₹1000-2500 range with such facilities from ICICI & Yes bank. Look for Visa Signature cards or MasterCard World cards.
[/QUOTE]

Free cards - Rupay Platinum from Paytm is one. I believe IDFC Signature Card has lounge access as well. Most of the MasterCard variants with world have this as well.

Lifetime free - Ideally, get a card from Yes Bank - I believe its called Yes Premia and they seem to be offering to nearly all. HDFC Regalia First as well. Cant say about ICICI as dont have their cards.

@shashank_r_t Shanks, some pointers ;)

Last edited:
ok. so for 1000 rs a year i get multiple access to the lounge? would be nice to go a few hours early there and drink a few bottles when going to pick dad as i dont really air travel

Get Flipkart Axis Bank credit card which gives 4 complimentary access to domestic airport lounge. Charge is Rs. 500/-. First year fee is returned in form of Flipkart vouchers. Renewal fee is waived off if you spend more than Rs. 2 Lakh. It also provides 5% cashback on Flipkart/Myntra. Read more details here.

ok. so for 1000 rs a year i get multiple access to the lounge? would be nice to go a few hours early there and drink a few bottles when going to pick dad as i dont really air travel
F the fees, get ICICI coral card, it's lifetime free and I believe they give 4 times access to lounges (once pr quarter) not sure if they changed T&C but I used my 4 yr old coral last month and I got in easily.

Back